XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)

Hi all,

I have just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 (android) phone.

When I pair the phone over bluetooth with my 08 XKR, the phonebook seems to load OK, but when you open the phonebook from the car the contact names are all garbled (mostly just showing 1 or 2 wierd characters). The phone numbers in the list seem to be right though.

Its really annoying as it effectively prevents finding/dialing a contact using the car display unless you also happen to recognise the number, so I'd really like to get this resolved. This wasn't a problem with my old phone (Sony Ericcson W995).

My local Jag dealer is clueless (as usual) other than to confirm the car's bluetooth module already has the latest firmware.

It seems from googling that Samsung phones are particularly prone to problems with car bluetooth systems for some reason.

Any suggestions and/or other stories of similar experiences would be most welcome as I'm trying to figure out if its the car or the phone's fault, and if I have any real chance of ever getting this working.

Thanks guys,
Neil.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

FYI - When I had my 08 XK, I could not get an Android or MS based mobile phone to correctly interface with the Jaguar bluetooth setup. I am now a not particularly pleased owner of and I phone 4s which syncs well to both the 08 and 12 XKs' bluetooth.

A word of warning. make sure you are syncing less than a total of 500 hundred phone/fax numbers; as the XK will truncate your directory at 500 entries. Solution - create a separate contact group in Outlook (if that is your information base) with only the people or firms you think you are going to want to contact from your XK. It is cumbersome and a pain in the A_, but it works.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I'm quite confident that it is a Jag problem. I have exactly the same issue with my year-old HTC Thunderbolt when I try to connect it to my '08 XK. Apparently there is nothing one can do. What ever software resides in those XK it does not pull in the full caller list from the newer Android phones.

Albert

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

^ What he said +1
My Samsung Charge presents the same convoluted name display, but thankfully it at least works in call mode so I have tolerated it for now...

Vince

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an 09 XKR. Just paired and connected with the new HTC Dinc 4G which has Android 4.0 and Bluetooth 4.0. No issue with phonebook on the car's display. Displays names up to a point then ... after that the phone numbers. The only thing I don't like is that there is no indication of the type of phone ie Home, Mobile, etc.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Samsung S3 and had the Galaxy S and both have the same problem with garbled names but the numbers list fine. My old blackberry works perfectly.
I use the Google voice function and say "call home" Up comes the entry on my phone and I hit dial and all is good.

-Dan

Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 07 XKR I've had the same problem with the Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, and HTC Droid Inc 2. The Motorola Droid X and Iphone 3GS both work fine. Makes no sense and is extremely annoying. Dealer always falls back to the online compatibility list for the car, which is extremely limited.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Lurking over here from the UK forums

Just thought I'd say the 2010 MY XK pairs fine with the S3 - names and numbers are perfect.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
FYI - When I had my 08 XK, I could not get an Android or MS based mobile phone to correctly interface with the Jaguar bluetooth setup.
My girlfriend's HTC Windows phone does not work in the Jag. My BlackBerry works fine.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I have Galaxy S II no names showed on the screen of my XK 2007 but my XF 2010 show the list with no problems it is a Jaguar software problem

The following users liked this post:
scousegeezer (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also lurking from UK forums,
Ahhh, so its not just my Galaxy Ace that has the problem. Just joined the forum, and found this thread. Great info from you all. Many thanks,
I wonder if there is any software on the web that can fix this? Any geeks out there who have the knowledge?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 XK w/ Samsung S2. No issues with pairing or phone book display.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM

No updates here since Nov but I'll post anyway.

My Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro wont pair with 08 XKR, sounds like this is a Samsung to Jag issue.

Same exact results as others here. Will try a firmwear update and post results.

If anyone gets wind of a fix please post.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnyred
No updates here since Nov but I'll post anyway.

My Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro wont pair with 08 XKR, sounds like this is a Samsung to Jag issue.

Same exact results as others here. Will try a firmwear update and post results.

If anyone gets wind of a fix please post.

Thanks
This is a Jag issue with some of the "older" Jags. I have an 07, and have had the same issue with Samsungs (Nexus, G3) and an HTC Incredible 2...and, I believe, a Droid X2. A Droid X worked fine, as does a iPhone 3G.

I believe there was a proprietary motorola bluetooth system, which is non-upgradable, in the 07s, and possibly 08s, not sure about 09s. I've searched many posts, but couldn't find anyone with a success, same garbled issue. I've tried pushing the phonebook via different apps, and tried to ensure the 500 limit wasn't a problem by going down to a single entry...no dice.

Dealers always refer to the official compatibility list, which is extremely limited.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I had the same issue with my 08xk. I ended up with an Iphone 4S. Which worked ok. Not crazy about the Iphone but it does work with the Jaguar blue tooth.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Looks like a phone change is the only solution. Thankfully I just got the phone yesterday so I can swap it out. Went away from iPhone(worked perfectly) to Droid and look what happens. Not very pleased that I buy my phone according to what will work with my Jags bluetooth. I could have worse problems.........

Oh, I went to local dealership with this and they looked at me like I was speaking Japanese. Blank stares and "go online" its not a Jag problem were their only responses. A salesman was the most helpful, after he overheard me and service going round and round. He said he will call me back after he looks into it, I wont hold my breath.

Thanks for the posts

Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Doesn't work for my Droid 4 either.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnyred
Looks like a phone change is the only solution. Thankfully I just got the phone yesterday so I can swap it out. Went away from iPhone(worked perfectly) to Droid and look what happens. Not very pleased that I buy my phone according to what will work with my Jags bluetooth. I could have worse problems.........

Oh, I went to local dealership with this and they looked at me like I was speaking Japanese. Blank stares and "go online" its not a Jag problem were their only responses. A salesman was the most helpful, after he overheard me and service going round and round. He said he will call me back after he looks into it, I wont hold my breath.

Thanks for the posts
Hmmm.... my S3 works perfectly with my new XJL. Why change a superior phone, change the car

Albert

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM

The garbled phonebook is a typical error which is present in Android since Firmware 2.1 with older Jags. The phonebook is correctly displayed with my old HTC Legend and Android 2.1. Since I updated the firmware to 2.2 the phonebook is garbled. Even with the LG Nexus 4 and newest Android 4.2.2. phonebook is garbled. Using a different Android distrubution like CyanogenMod doesn't help. Newer Jag-Models don't have these problems with the different Android versions. iPhone 3 to iPhone 5 works great on our "old" Jags.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Here's the official word:

... So after many months of being told a software update was on the way, then going backwards and forwards with various levels of people at Jaguar, I finally got the Bluetooth compatibility problem escalated to the Executive Case level. According to her, she works directly for the CEO of Jaguar North America.
I've already tried to make them fully aware of how many people are affected by this, as a part of that I sent them a link to this forum thread. Also my local dealer has been in contact with them.

Anyway Here's the responses I got:

--------------------------------------

Good morning Mr. Cooper,

Thank you for your patience while I reviewed your vehicle concerns with Jaguar Land Rover North America's Executive Office and our Technical Support Team.

I have confirmed that Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC have no pending or planned software updates for your vehicle's model and year Bluetooth System. Doing so at this time will interfere with the compatibility of the phones and software versions that the technology in your vehicle currently supports.

I know this is not the outcome you were hoping for, and I truly apologize for your inconvenience in advance. I truly wish you the very best with your vehicle.
--
Best Regards,

Pianca Vazquez-Ahmed
Executive Liaison
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
Jaguar Land Rover Canada, ULC
555 MacArthur Boulevard
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Office: 201-818-8432
Toll Free Mail-Fax: 888-410-0937
E-mail: pherna35@jaguarlandrover.com

-----------------------------

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Neil Cooper <> wrote:
Pianca,

Thank you for your reply.

Your response is staggering. It is completely unacceptable for Jaguar to cease technical support for a top of the range car that is less than 5 years old.

Frankly I am surprised that you clearly think a "we're just not going to do anything" repsonse is even close to appropriate for sending out to your customers. Instead you should have considered this as a significant opportunity to repair the current damage to Jaguar brand's credability that this issue has already caused. Such a response would go a long way to ensure that the many affected current Jaguar car owners will consider buying more Jaguar cars in future, instead of moving to other better-supported marques for their next purchase.

It is exactly this batant ignorance of customer concerns by Jaguar that causes real damage to your repeat and future sales. As well as being Vice President of Jaguar Club of Central Arizona, I happen to be a professional Software Architect that has worked on development of very similar automotive systems for other high-end car models, so am exactly aware at a technical level of how much of a blatant brush-off your lame excuse of not producing updates to avoid damaging comapatiblity with existing phones is.

I fully intend to take my issue and complaint as high as I need to go in Jaguar or Tata in order to achieve a real commitment to produce a new software update for me and the many other existing Jaguar car owners I am already aware of that are in the same position.

To that end, I would appreciate if you could give me the contact details of the highest level executive officer of Jaguar North America.

Please note that I am keeping records of all our exchanges for future reference and sharing with your higher level management.

Regards,
Neil Cooper.

--- On Thu, 1/10/13, Pianca Vazquez-Ahmed <pherna35@jaguarlandrover.com> wrote:

From: Pianca Vazquez-Ahmed <pherna35@jaguarlandrover.com>
Subject: Executive Case: 7796648 Your 2008 XKR
Date: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 10:04 AM

-----------------------------

Dear Mr. Cooper,

Good afternoon. I sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with Jaguar Land Rover North America's response. Please know that every product suggestion and vehicle complaint made by our customers to our Executive Office is taken very seriously. We are always receptive to customer feedback. This is one way we learn of concerns with our vehicles and of improvements or changes desired by our customers.

Your product suggestion, along with your Bluetooth concerns, were formally documented and forwarded to our Product Development Team for future consideration. Jaguar Land Rover North America is extremely attuned to the suggestions made by our customers. Although there are no plans to update the Bluetooth software on your vehicle's model and year at this time, we may choose to do so in the future. My email correspondence to you on January 10th, 2013 was simply to advise you that there are no future plans to do so at this time.

Your case was escalated on December 14th, 2012 to the highest level of escalation for Jaguar customer relations when your case was forwarded to me for handling. As Executive Liaison, I report directly to Jaguar Land Rover North America's President and CEO, Mr. Andy Goss. It is my role to address customer concerns such as yours on his behalf. Should you wish to send Mr. Goss any correspondence, you may do so at jagweb1@jaguarlandrover.com, but rest assured that our Executive Team is aware of your concerns.

As a consumer you have the right to reach out to our parent company, Tata Motors, and I encourage you to do so if you wish. They too are very appreciative of any and all customer contact. You may contact them via customercare@tatamotors.com. Please know, once they receive correspondence from customers in our North American market, it is immediately acknowledged and forwarded to our Executive Office here for response. At that point I will acknowledge as well.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us. Thank you for driving a Jaguar and we wish you many miles of safe driving.

Best Regards,

Pianca Vazquez-Ahmed
Executive Liaison
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
Jaguar Land Rover Canada, ULC
555 MacArthur Boulevard
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Office: 201-818-8432
Toll Free Mail-Fax: 888-410-0937
E-mail: pherna35@jaguarlandrover.com

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-05-2013 at 01:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JustNiz:
aatyler56 (12-04-2014), Arland Green (06-02-2014), axr6 (04-05-2013)

Quick Reply: 08 XKR Bluetooth + droid phone (Samsung galaxy S3)