XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

11-99 Brackets! What tamper-resistant fasteners to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 11-99 Brackets! What tamper-resistant fasteners to use?

A quick question:

I just got my long awaited (and very expensive) 11-99 license plate frames. For those of you not in the know, the 11-99 Foundation is a private organization that raises money for the benefit of dead or injured California CHP officers. Hopefully the bracket buys you some mercy in situations where a ticket isn't a given (like 100MPH...), though they've tightened down lately and it is far from a 'get out of jail free' card.

Cost of donation (tax deduction!) to get 'Silver' level membership: $10,000. But a very good cause. I used to be a prosecutor and one of my friends was a CHP court liaison officer who was with a partner in a CHP cruiser (Crown Vic) when they were stopped behind a car on the SF Bay Bridge and were rear ended at high speed. Poor guy's partner was trapped in the car, which caught fire, and died an awful death in front of his partner. I was relatively poor @ the time (earning government wages), but told myself if I ever came into $ that I'd donate to the cause, so here I am.

The problem, as you can imagine, is that people swipe the brackets. They make fakes as well, but that's another post....

So what type of fastener would you all recommend to attach the brackets to the Jag? It needs to be secure enough that it will prevent reasonably sophisticated attempts to steal them, but still enable ME to remove them when I move on to another car. So crazy adhesive/epoxy is out

Standard 'tamper resistant' bolts, like the torx bits with the rod in the center, are WAY to easy to remove. Seems like half the tool bit kits I buy these days have bits that deal with those... Will the angled screws that look like they'd only screw in & not out work? Like the ones they use to assemble public toilet stalls?

Speaking of which and on a comedic side note, what's with that?! Would people be bringing in screw drivers and disassembling toilet stalls if they used regular fasteners? Don't quite see the need, LOL...

Back to the question, what fasteners would you recommend? The less common the better.

And any advice appreciated, as well as any 11-99 experience or info.

Thanks,

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 12-12-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
A quick question:

I just got my long awaited (and very expensive) 11-99 license plate frames. For those of you not in the know, the 11-99 Foundation is a private organization that raises money for the benefit of dead or injured California CHP officers. Hopefully the bracket buys you some mercy in situations where a ticket isn't a given (like 100MPH...), though they've tightened down lately and it is far from a 'get out of jail free' card.

Cost of donation (tax deduction!) to get 'Silver' level membership: $10,000. But a very good cause. I used to be a prosecutor and one of my friends was a CHP court liaison officer who was with a partner in a CHP cruiser (Crown Vic) when they were stopped behind a car on the SF Bay Bridge and were rear ended at high speed. Poor guy's partner was trapped in the car, which caught fire, and died an awful death in front of his partner. I was relatively poor @ the time (earning government wages), but told myself if I ever came into $ that I'd donate to the cause, so here I am.

The problem, as you can imagine, is that people swipe the brackets. They make fakes as well, but that's another post....

So what type of fastener would you all recommend to attach the brackets to the Jag? It needs to be secure enough that it will prevent reasonably sophisticated attempts to steal them, but still enable ME to remove them when I move on to another car. So crazy adhesive/epoxy is out

Standard 'tamper resistant' bolts, like the torx bits with the rod in the center, are WAY to easy to remove. Seems like half the tool bit kits I buy these days have bits that deal with those... Will the angled screws that look like they'd only screw in & not out work? Like the ones they use to assemble public toilet stalls?

Speaking of which and on a comedic side note, what's with that?! Would people be bringing in screw drivers and disassembling toilet stalls if they used regular fasteners? Don't quite see the need, LOL...

Back to the question, what fasteners would you recommend? The less common the better.

And any advice appreciated, as well as any 11-99 experience or info.

Thanks,

Skeeter
How about a photo of the bracket so we know what your talking about. Several ideas possible. Are you willing to drill holes in the metal?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Any fastener will suffice provided you wire it to a taser!

Seriously, if a thief really wants something, he will find a way to steal it or get so frustrated that he destroys it and everything around it. I'd let him take the frames and hope he doesn't damage your car. I'd also make sure the frames were covered under your insurance policy. They can be replaced.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Skeeter:

Here's your source. Check them out. As mentioned above you may have to drill holes.

I am not sure since I don't know what your bracket is like.

Bryce Fastener | Tamper Proof Screws and Fasteners | Security Screws and Bolts

http://www.brycefastener.com/

Hope this helps.

Last edited by richzak; 12-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Stuart beat me to it. I was going to say connect it to the positive terminal of your battery. It's not usually lethal, but it'll make you think twice.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

........ I just got my long awaited (and very expensive) 11-99 license plate frames. ...........
For the benefit of those who don't know what these plate frames look like:

As others have said, if a thief wants it, they will take it regardless of any damage they cause to the vehicle.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 11-99 Brackets! What tamper-resistant fasteners to use?-chp-11-99-frame.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 AM

Sweet! Those things look serious, more than sufficient.

Thanks guys. These look about as secure as you can get while maintaining the ability to remove them without resorting to a plasma cutter or drill

Gonna order -16- appropriately sized screws as soon as I can figure out exactly what type I need to replace the ones the dealer already used to put the pates on. Damn dealer already drilled holes in the front bumper, so I guess I don't need to get creative there like I did on my 2010 (which I mounted without drilling into the bumper - posted the build pics a while back if anyone is interested I'll dig up the link).

The self tapping 'Penta Plus' look like the right fastener for the job...

Anyone know who sells these things? Are they available locally or is it an online/direct order deal? A google search makes it look like a tough find.

Thanks again,

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 12-13-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Sweet! Those things look serious, more than sufficient.

Thanks guys. These look about as secure as you can get while maintaining the ability to remove them without resorting to a plasma cutter or drill

Gonna order -16- appropriately sized screws as soon as I can figure out exactly what type I need to replace the ones the dealer already used to put the pates on. Damn dealer already drilled holes in the front bumper, so I guess I don't need to get creative there like I did on my 2010 (which I mounted without drilling into the bumper - posted the build pics a while back if anyone is interested I'll dig up the link).

The self tapping 'Penta Plus' look like the right fastener for the job...

Anyone know who sells these things? Are they available locally or is it an online/direct order deal? A google search makes it look like a tough find.

Thanks again,

Skeeter
Glad the information and website helped....call Bryce Fasteners at
(800) 558-1082 and they can assist you in securing the fasteners. The company is located in Gilbert, AZ just outside of Phoenix. I am sure that since you live in the San Francisco area, you will have no trouble finding them.

Any updates on the rats and how your storing your Jaguar now?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Thanks richzak.

Mysteriously, the rats disappeared just as they invaded, suddenly and without a cause or trace. I pop the hood and check twice a day looking for early damage but so far, months later, not one nibble. I've long since stopped with he traps and hope that their absence is permanent. Maybe the nest was itself displaced, or the primary culprit taken out by one preditor or another...

Fingers crossed,

Skeeter

Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Interesting.
I'll have to talk to my Chief about these "organizations". I've not heard once from any of the LEOs I work around (and have for 15 years so far) that they pay any attention to them or any "memorial" plates for that mater.
I do know they are a "Brotherhood" and will avoid citing their own if they can.