XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 Jag XK headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Jag XK headlight lens

My 2007 XK Conv. head light clear plastic lens cover needs replacement. Can you replace the lens or do you have to replace the entire light unit?

Last edited by GGG; 06-01-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

What's wrong with it? I don't know if you can buy just the lens from the dealer. The complete unit is very expensive, even from junk yards.

I was able to refinish mine and one had some pretty deep scratches from a past accident. They look like new now.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
What's wrong with it? I don't know if you can buy just the lens from the dealer. The complete unit is very expensive, even from junk yards.

I was able to refinish mine and one had some pretty deep scratches from a past accident. They look like new now.

Following -

Did you have to reapply UV protectant or keep polishing it every year or so and/or waxing ? I have one headlight that looks brand new and another that looks like it's off a shade or two and could use minimal polish to bring back to 100%... just worried that'll screw up the UV and then it's haze and oxdize within a year looking worse than before !

Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

The haze is the UV protectant and some of the underlying plastic. The kit I used had a spray on clear UV inhibitor and is supposed to be good for a year. I'll probably film it further down the road. Neighborhood feral cat already scratched the drivers side so...

Old 06-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Neighborhood feral cat already scratched the drivers side so...
A cat scratching a Jag sounds like an ad campaign...

Old 06-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

There are numerous sprays for UV protection, along with headlight-specific removable UV protective films in many colors including totally clear. I use 10% grey smoke and it made a HUGE difference in menacing up the front end of my XKR.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

Cee Jay, is that a chrome upper and lower grill? Would those fit my 08?

Old 01-16-2020, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

1500 grit wet with mini orbital and baked in oven with clear cost - no polishing , re-appyling UV coating and good for another 5-10yrs

I would suggest taking it to a panel shop as it'll be impossible to get the same result at home

guy (08-20-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
There are numerous sprays for UV protection, along with headlight-specific removable UV protective films in many colors including totally clear. I use 10% grey smoke and it made a HUGE difference in menacing up the front end of my XKR.

You have fine taste in headlight treatment. I’d get those orange bulbs replaced with silver ones though.

peterv8 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Television
You have fine taste in headlight treatment. I’d get those orange bulbs replaced with silver ones though.
That's not legal in the US. I know blacking out the reflectors is illegal here as well. Amber front turn signal lights have been a requirement here in the US since the early 60's. Whether cops enforce it everywhere? The ones in my town assure me the have and do.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
That's not legal in the US. I know blacking out the reflectors is illegal here as well. Amber front turn signal lights have been a requirement here in the US since the early 60's. Whether cops enforce it everywhere? The ones in my town assure me the have and do.
The silver one's turn amber when lid! :-)

barnsie (01-21-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Cee Jay, is that a chrome upper and lower grill? Would those fit my 08?
Yes they are, and no they won't.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Sean, the turn signal still lights up yellow. The bulb has a sort of 'chrome' coating on it which makes the bulb invisible in the light unit unless it is flashing. Somehow the yellow light shines through the 'chrome' coating. It removes that yellow 'fried egg' look from the light unit and really does crisp up the appearance at the front. I was astonished at the visual difference it made for just a few bucks. They are available everywhere - these are the ones I used:

Amazon Amazon

As always with light bulbs, I try to go for a recognised brand name where possible as IME they last longer than the cheap knockoffs and work out less expensive in the end.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Paint protection film and/or waxing the headlights prolongs the life of the headlamps. You can do both as well!

Queen and Country (01-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for an answer to the original question. Considering this 2008 XK and the headlights are in rough shape. If a repair is possible, I would think the lens removal so to have access to the underneath side of the lens would be necessary. New/aftermarket headlight assemblies appear to be non-existent. Hoping someone has the answer...because I love the car.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Patrick Hall
I'm looking for an answer to the original question. Considering this 2008 XK and the headlights are in rough shape. If a repair is possible, I would think the lens removal so to have access to the underneath side of the lens would be necessary. New/aftermarket headlight assemblies appear to be non-existent. Hoping someone has the answer...because I love the car.
You cannot get parts. If you want an entire new assembly, you can pay the $2000 to Jaguar. If you want a used assembly, you can pay whatever any breaker yard charges.
Again, you cannot get individual parts.
Clean, polish, repair the ones you have, as per all the previous replies.
There is nothing else.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
barnsie (08-20-2020), guy (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
You cannot get parts. If you want an entire new assembly, you can pay the $2000 to Jaguar. If you want a used assembly, you can pay whatever any breaker yard charges.
Again, you cannot get individual parts.
Clean, polish, repair the ones you have, as per all the previous replies.
There is nothing else.
Thank you.
In line with the repair approach, the question remains, can the lens be safely removed--sanded/repaired and then--replaced?

Old 08-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

My X-Type daily beater had headlights like this. I got a restoration kit off the internet. An hour or two with the kit, using my electric drill and a buffing pad, restored them to new. The kit includes a sort of clearcoat finishing solution that (allegedly) stops them dulling off again. IDK how long it lasts but if I had to do it every 12 months it wouldn't bother me too much. I did the X-Type about 6 months ago and they still look pristine. Check out the reviews of the kits. Not all are the same.

This is the kit I used - IDK if they sell this brand in the USA but something similar is what you need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XZQF8O/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XZQF8O/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by barnsie; 08-20-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you.
In line with the repair approach, the question remains, can the lens be safely removed--sanded/repaired and then--replaced?
You CAN remove the lenses to repair them off the assembly, but why? It will be more difficult and time consuming.
To remove the lens, bake the assembly in an oven set at about 160 F for about fifteen minutes, then carefully pull the lens off all the goo that holds it in place. That goo will string and get mess everywhere unless you are very observant. Clean the goo off the lens using some sort of cleaner that won't affect the lens material, then clean/polish the lens. THEN, get some replacement goo to reassemble the lens to the assembly, taking care to not get that goo everywhere again.
OR, remove the headlight assembly with two or three screws, and clean/polish on a workbench, then reinstall headlight.
ORRRRRR, Clean/polish with the headlight installed. MUCH easier that way and nothing will get damaged.
Remember to recoat the lens with a clear UV protectant.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
barnsie (08-20-2020), peterv8 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:49 PM

Believe me... IF I purchase, the simple approach recommended will be step one. HOWEVER, I could buff all day and all night and never will it ever deal with what looked to me like a possible issue with the inside surface of the lens. Hence, the need for me to research that possibility prior to purchase. Fully clear and (as close as possible to) pristine lenses are a must for me. It's a thing with me...always has been. It's either have an option to deal with the lenses I buy...or source some new lenses/assemblies... which is potentially a $4,000 difference. With a car at this price (They want $13,900.... '08, 88k miles, issues...need a driver's side tweeter, need the dash leather stretched/stapled, normal wear/tear otherwise), that would make a monumental difference.

Cee Jay (08-20-2020)

Quick Reply: 2007 Jag XK headlight lens