Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

@rscultho-Thnx

Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Just trying to contribute...

[QUOTE=Moe-she-sa;341497]@rscultho-Thnx[/QUOTE

You're quite welcome. I hope what I did helps others in some way.

I'd be willing to help anyone in the Atlanta area with doing this.

The following users liked this post:
guy (07-30-2013)
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have my fuse pulled so I don't get the 18 foot antenna salute. In the future, I'm planning to have the body shop plug the hole and then install the XKR-S or XKR Speed Pack spoiler (these are the same spoiler). Based on the threads, it seems as if the new 2008+ spoilers do *not* come with an antenna pre-installed. Is this correct?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Rodney
Great fix! I drive a convertible and have been hassling Jaguar for four years to fix this. In the convertible with the roof down you hear an awful wind noise from the antenna when it is up. The aerodynamics of the coupe is different so not a problem. With such an easy fix Jaguar could have kept a satisfied customer. instead I think they are a bunch of jerks who are not interested in customer service. I will do the fix myself. Kev

Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlackXKR
I have my fuse pulled so I don't get the 18 foot antenna salute. In the future, I'm planning to have the body shop plug the hole and then install the XKR-S or XKR Speed Pack spoiler (these are the same spoiler). Based on the threads, it seems as if the new 2008+ spoilers do *not* come with an antenna pre-installed. Is this correct?
You are correct. I verified this with Dan at Nalley Jag in Roswell, GA.

The kit that Jag sells does put an antenna in the spoiler, but again the cost is around $750...

The fix I did was around $50 and my time. It would be even easier on a convertible.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I never listen to am or fm radio and have the satellite antennae I just took the carpet back in the trunk and disconnected the power cords from the metal antennae. It never comes up anymore and I'm damned happy about it.

guy (09-12-2013)
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 2007 and above, there is a panel just inside the rear hatch on the left side. Simply remove this panel and unplug the antenna motor, it's right in front of the panel, you can't miss it. Doing this will not upset the other circuits the same as removing the fuse would.

kustom (05-21-2012)
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I plan to follow your directions re address the antenna on my newly acquired '07 XK convertible. Did you you need to install an amplifier as you mention? The manual for the factory kit describes installation a noise suppressor. Do you have any issues with static/unwanted signals?

I can't figure out why the factory would install an entirely new cable to the head unit just to put the antenna in the spoiler.

We were at the San Diego dealer in 2006 when the XK first appeared. I have a photo of my wife in the demo. My thought at the time was "What's with an extendable antenna on a $80K car?".

Thanks for the very useful information.

Dan

Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJensen
I plan to follow your directions re address the antenna on my newly acquired '07 XK convertible. Did you you need to install an amplifier as you mention? The manual for the factory kit describes installation a noise suppressor. Do you have any issues with static/unwanted signals?

I can't figure out why the factory would install an entirely new cable to the head unit just to put the antenna in the spoiler.

We were at the San Diego dealer in 2006 when the XK first appeared. I have a photo of my wife in the demo. My thought at the time was "What's with an extendable antenna on a $80K car?".

Dan
Dan,

If possible, could you document your upgrade and let us know how it works? I've got an '07 and usually pull the fuse for longer trips, but am getting tired of it...and last time I put the cushion/cover back I scratched the leather a bit. I'm very interested in doing this if it works, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Thanks.

Christian

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DanJensen

Dan
I did this when I had the 07 XKR Coupe...

Dan...I'm assuming this question is directed to me concerning the amplifier? If so, answer is yes, I did get an amplifier/filter from a local Radio Shack and put it inline with the antenna lead on the right side behind the carpet piece. I did not have any issues with extraneous signals...

I did not need the amp/filter for non-AM reception, but AM was somewhat weak, and there was a sports show I listened to on an AM station so I put in the amp/filter. The amp required a 12 volt power source...unfortunately I don't remember where I connected it. It's been a while since I did this...

EDIT: The bigger speed pack spoiler does come with a factory installed antenna (OEM). However, I had to clip the end from my existing connector and splice it to the new antenna lead. The new connector was not the same as the one originally on my car.

Last edited by rscultho; 07-29-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Camas07XK
On the 2007 and above, there is a panel just inside the rear hatch on the left side. Simply remove this panel and unplug the antenna motor, it's right in front of the panel, you can't miss it. Doing this will not upset the other circuits the same as removing the fuse would.
Interesting. I have had my antenna fuse unplugged since I bought the car 6 months ago. What other items are on this circuit that will get messed up?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Unsightly extended whip anntena

Originally Posted by LarryLo
I hated the look of my XK with the antenna up as it aged my car. I fixed the problem by taking out the fuse. .......The power antenna does not go up now and my reception on FM is only inhibited when in the garage. My SAT Radio, FM , and CD all work as well as when the antenna was powered. a
...... Hope this helps.
I would like to do the same however Iwould not like to degrade the AM reception. I have a shark fin antenna on my other cars which seem to work quite well. Has any body used the fin ? Would there be any problem with the impedence matching ? I would disconnect the existing coax from the whip and connect to the fin(blade) and leave the retracted unpowered whip in place.
TOO SIMPLE AND CHEAP A SOLUTION ?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
What other items are on this circuit that will get messed up?
As far as I could see from the electrical guide when I modified mine, it just powers the aerial.

I stuck a cheap amplified aerial on the inside of the rear wing and was reasonably happy with the result but made a modification more recently so I can use either the original aerial on occasional, longer cross country trips or just the hidden aerial around town.

The aerial can be seen in the first pic then I used the cables in the second pic to convert the existing aerial lead then used the cable in the third pic so that I could plug both aerials in at the same time. I can control the original aerial with the fuse although I haven't found a need to use it yet.

Attached Thumbnails  2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-aerial.jpg    2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-aerialconvertor.jpg    2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement-duoaerialdinlead.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by u102768:
alonco (08-15-2013), amcdonal86 (07-30-2013), Kopavi (12-07-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

When you say amplified, does this imply that it needs a power source?

Also, is everything easily accessible through the panel on the right side of the trunk, or do I need to disassemble a lot of interior panels?

Also, do you have the name for the type of adapter you used in pic 2?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 908 Posts

Yes, the aerial amplifier needed a power supply. I connected it to the middle wire of the white connector on the existing aerial because it was still live with fuse 4 removed. I do have a nagging doubt about that wire though because it didn't seem to read a full 12 volts when I tested it. I used it anyway because it was convenient but may revisit it at some point.

The old aerial is very accessible on the coupe but I believe that the hood motor may be in the way on the vert so is more of a challenge. I just removed the panel covering the battery/nav, the spare wheel/boot floor cover and the boot lip trim. The right hand side trim was then just held on by two plastic fittings.

The cable I bought was this one because the seller was helpful and happy to ship to me but they are available from many suppliers:

PC5-111 VOLKSWAGEN POLO 2005 ONWARDS FM MODULATORS AERIAL ADAPTOR MAST ANTENNA | eBay

I think that the connector that the Jag and other European cars used is call a Fakra.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The lead you will need is a Fakra adapter per this pack available in the UK at Halfords: Halfords | Autoleads PC5-111 Fakra to DIN Aerial Adaptor

I still need to install an AM Filter as I have lost all AM signal. The unit aerial I have installed has a powered amplified however is is just sitting in the boot / trunk at the moment however I am considering running the cable around to the spoiler.

I would like to know more from those that have installed the new aerial / antenna in the spoiler? How did you do this part of the mod?

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited by alonco; 08-15-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be aware that in the convertible there's a big grey object (what look's like the hydraulic pump) in the way of the aerial wiring (at least in the UK car - I guess there's the possibility it's sited on the other side in the US). This made it pretty much impossible for me to carry out the switch outlined above. The bits only cost about £10 so it was worth a go though.

Mike

Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Jaguar XK

Hi Everyone...new to the forum..Just wanted to say that the easiest fix is just to replace the power antenna with one from a Mazda Miata...It is 18 inches tall when extended and there is no whistling noise. It looks stock when down and since the body of the unit is small, it fits where the old power antenna did with no problems...Only takes an hour or so to install...

dirtyodwyer (08-31-2019)
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forum msfrazer,

And I'll bet it costs a lot less too!

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the power antenna with one from a Mazda Miata

Originally Posted by msfrazer
Hi Everyone...new to the forum..Just wanted to say that the easiest fix is just to replace the power antenna with one from a Mazda Miata...It is 18 inches tall when extended and there is no whistling noise. It looks stock when down and since the body of the unit is small, it fits where the old power antenna did with no problems...Only takes an hour or so to install...
Miata 99-05 Power Antenna

Quick Reply: 2007 Jaguar XK Antenna Replacement