XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010 XKR oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
While much as he's great, Q-and-C can be a little strident in his responses- but in this case his logic is spot on.
Think of all the oil, in all types and capacities, that Castro sells worldwide.
Do you actually think Castrol thought: "we've got to get in on that JAGUAR XK DIY MARKET!!
Jaguar sells HUNDREDS, maybe THOUSANDS of XK's a year!! And that means DOZENS of owners who change their own oil!! We gotta GET THAT! GET THAT!!"
I mean, come on.
Believe it or not I bit my tongue and took my lumps when the logic of selling on Amazon was bought up. I wanted to help and point out that it would compete with dealers, as non-dealers could buy the oil. Its sad that Gordo did not see that I was only trying to make him see he was being influenced by inconvenience not logic

Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Next time I'll have my flame suit on before posting a Q.

I began this portion of the thread by asking a simple question: Where do other members purchase oil for their 5.0 XKRs. Two pages later, and I end up being accused of promoting conspiratorial fantasies, being totally ignorant of lubrication basics, and acting like some cheap *** son of a bitch who won't spend a few extra bucks to take care of his $100,000 investment.

What part of my question was so outrageous? Is a inquiry about purchasing oil so out of the ordinary that it a few of you find it necessary to post up responses like that? Given that my vehicle is off warranty,and given that I do all the mechanical work myself; is it so strange that I might ask the question, "Why is there only one oil i can use and why is it only sold at dealerships? And finally, given that the closest dealer is a three hour round trip drive, is it unreasonable that I might want to find an alternative?

For any other car that I own, or have owned, including my current other Jaguar; changing the oil amounts to a simple trip to the nearby auto parts store to purchase the oil and filter, and a half hour underneath the car to do it. I'd like to do that with my XKR. That's all.

As it pertains to conjuring ups conspiracies: It is common knowledge that Castrol and Jaguar have ongoing business relationship. There's nothing nefarious about recommending a business partner's product for use in your product; and I didn't suggest there was. But I still don't understand why I can't buy the oil that I need to buy locally, instead of three hours away at a dealership. If you can help me answer that question, thank you in advance. If not, there is no need to reply by insulting me.

I've been a member here for almost ten years. I know that we are all car enthusiasts; and that we enjoy sharing the ownership experience of a truly great car. I also know, that nobody on X150 knows me well enough to draw judgement about my personality, mechanical qualifications, or mental health. Ask about me on X100 sub-forum. If you did, You might find me to among the most personable members there. And if you knew me better, you just might think I'd be the last person to promote a conspiracy, or cheap out on taking care of my vehicles, or be box-of-rocks stupid about oil. But since we don't know each other personally, the polite thing to do is avoid personal attacks, put downs, etc. As far as I'm concerned, they have no place on this forum. The car is the central theme here. Not politics, personalities, or my dumb questions. Thank you. Peace. gordo

The following 6 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
Cee Jay (06-23-2017), earny (10-13-2019), hafren (09-24-2018), JagRag (06-23-2017), jon-izumi (09-09-2020), ralphwg (06-24-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
What part of my question was so outrageous?
Oil threads always devolve into flame wars. This phenomena is as old as car forums. It is by far safer to ask what is the best way to beat one's wife.

The following users liked this post:
GordoCatCar (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

......................... changing the oil amounts to a simple trip to the nearby auto parts store to purchase the oil and filter, and a half hour underneath the car to do it. I'd like to do that with my XKR. That's all......
Good News!!! No need to actually get UNDER the car! That's so mundane and pedestrian......
Suck the oil out the top through the valve cover access, change the filter while standing, then replace the filter and oil from above.
Nice. Clean. Simple. Easy. Fast.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Gordo unless someone here has done any homework I guess the option would be to take the OEM oil spec. numbers and go to your local auto store and start looking at the oil on the shelf spec. numbers. If you find the match I'm sure others would like to know . Other then that I'm betting that any of the name brand 0W-20 or 5W-20 would work . So unless someone has broken the secret code I'd try that plan. Good luck

GordoCatCar (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

When you actually go to change your oil, and figure out all the additional tools you need that you never had to before- all the computer resetting and all the further help you need in just checking the oil level.....

You will see that we were all just being helpful and you do need our help and your assumptions/theories on Jaguar profiting from oil change is simply conjecture. And if anything an insult to the rest of us schmucks who have been doing this for years.

BTW we answered you straightway that the dealership is the only place to get oil. Some will ship it too. p.s. I pay $10 a quart

Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Nothing in your question was outrageous, in the least. Some of the replies on the other hand......

Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Gordo unless someone here has done any homework I guess the option would be to take the OEM oil spec. numbers and go to your local auto store and start looking at the oil on the shelf spec. numbers. If you find the match I'm sure others would like to know . Other then that I'm betting that any of the name brand 0W-20 or 5W-20 would work . So unless someone has broken the secret code I'd try that plan. Good luck
He already has the correct oil, he found and bought.
He just doesnt have much confidence in the validity of it.
So we have tried to explain the logic and its kosher, even posted videos to comfort him.

jagtoes (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Oil threads always devolve into flame wars. This phenomena is as old as car forums. It is by far safer to ask what is the best way to beat one's wife.
I've been using a switch from a willow tree... Is there something better you can recommend?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Good News!!! No need to actually get UNDER the car! That's so mundane and pedestrian......
Suck the oil out the top through the valve cover access, change the filter while standing, then replace the filter and oil from above.
Nice. Clean. Simple. Easy. Fast.
I like getting under the car. But only when I'm in vertical orientation.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 XKR oil change?-img_1346.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Noice!

Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Bah, you suck. Jerk.

GordoCatCar (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

You guys with the jacks and lifts, make me sooo jealous. I've got maybe 3 feet of vertical clearance before I'd run the car into a steel beam, dang it! Remember seeing that in floor install of yours in another thread, nice.
Hmmm, maybe I could do that out in my driveway? I'm sure that sucker would never rust, right?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'm 71 now, and I've paid my dues with crawling around cold concrete garage floors, and snow covered gravel driveways. A lift has allowed me extra years to enjoy a life-long hobby. A lift like mine would never survive an exterior installation w/o time consuming regular maintenance. But I've seen some four posters used in the elements without breaking down. If I didn't have the resources to buy a lift, and still wanted the benefits, and if I could get away with HOA, zoning and neighbor's concerns, I'd think about building a working pit somewhere on the property.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

When I bough my Ferrari I needed an additional parking space and a place to work on it. So a 4 poster fit the bill. Now I use it to park the Jag but still need it to do maintenance on the other 3 vehicles.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 XKR oil change?-oil-change-lift.jpg   2010 XKR oil change?-0523152013.jpg  
Old 06-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Gordo - Well said and much needed. I just took my hat off to you.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Gordo - Well said and much needed. I just took my hat off to you.
Thx Ralphwg: I don't know if you were around ten years ago, but at that time Roadfly was highly regarded as the preeminent Jaguar site. Around that time, as on line groups are want to do, a few members began snipping at each other about silly stuff... like oil. Who was the smartest; who didn't know **** from shinola... Stuff like that. Soon the talk about cars dissolved into insults about people.

At least a dozen of us had enough of the neanderthal pettiness; and we migrated over here to jaguarforumsdotcom, where the crowd was civil, and the talk was Jaguar. Since then, this site has grown in membership and stature; and I for one refuse to let it become a sounding board for people's personality disorders. We all love Jags, we all speak Jaguar, and we should all be smart enough and polite enough to keep it that way.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-24-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Night Hawk (05-10-2021)
Old 06-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Gordo, I sympathize. This subforum has very knowledgeable and experienced folks with a high level of passion. But if you dare to speculate to alternate thoughts it almost always devolves into a pissing match. There is an extreme desire to have the last word so it becomes a mess. I prefer to state my thoughts, limit my follow up arguments then bow out, trying to justify just becomes messy.

Personally I deal with many manufacturers through many segments. The majority of the time a nearly identical product is simply packaged differently so I am jaded.

​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
GordoCatCar (06-24-2017), Night Hawk (05-10-2021)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Old Thread but thought I would post

Don't pick my 2014 XK up until next week, but called the dealer (I've booked it in for a service the following week) and they've said the oil they use is 5w20.

I wanted to have a liter of oil and the same of coolant as it's 300 mile drive to get mine home...better safe than sorry

Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 PM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Although I thank you for the link and only wish it included supercharger specs, forgive my ignorance since I'm new the the X150 world, but what is "topix" and how is it authoritative for Jaguar oil specs? (dumb question of the day). Thanks