XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 XK - Navigation System - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XK - Navigation System - WTF?

OK, I just bought a 2011 XK (used but just slightly). I love the car.
I am however stunned at the lack of function of the Nav system. Either I have not found the right setting or the Nav system appears to be more basic then systems found on cars more than 10 years ago.

the first feature I miss is the forward looking "perspective" view but the thing that really amazes me is the map does not rotate around the car like every GPS system I have ever seen. (If you are driving south, the arrow points down, rather than forward).

Am I missing a configuration setting? Is there an option to update this to a modern GPS style?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chucklank
OK, I just bought a 2011 XK (used but just slightly). I love the car.
I am however stunned at the lack of function of the Nav system. Either I have not found the right setting or the Nav system appears to be more basic then systems found on cars more than 10 years ago.

the first feature I miss is the forward looking "perspective" view but the thing that really amazes me is the map does not rotate around the car like every GPS system I have ever seen. (If you are driving south, the arrow points down, rather than forward).

Am I missing a configuration setting? Is there an option to update this to a modern GPS style?
It is touch screen so if you touch the N icon it changes the perspective, but it is disappointing - also it is very anti-driving meaning if you have a passenger that can operate it while you're moving, it doesn't care - Supposedly 2013 we get the interface that this year's XJ and XF have

Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't buy my Jag for the nav system so no big deal

Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts
Default Nav

Originally Posted by dd823
I didn't buy my Jag for the nav system so no big deal
Neither did I; you don't drive the nav, but the nav can drive you... nuts!

I no longer use the lousy factory nav on either my XKR or my LS460. I used to subscribe to XM NavTraffic on my LS460 but it only showed interstate traffic and was very inaccurate - a waste of $$$ and useless when it came to local traffic, which was important to me. That was before I got my Verizon HTC Droid Incredible smartphone over a year ago. Shortly after I got my DINC, I cancelled my XM Nav Traffic subscription.

The free Google Maps navigation app on my DINC is far superior to the nav on both my XKR and LS460. That app includes accurate and reliable local as well as interstate real-time traffic displays, as well as turn-by-turn voice directions. Plus, the maps update automatically for free. Sure, the display is small but so what since there are good voice directions.

Real-time nav traffic was not available on the U.S. X150 models (XK, XKR), at least through 2009. I'm not sure about later years. I believe U.K. models have nav traffic. Hey Jaguar - are you listening? Your US X150 nav is junk and is not fit for a car of this class!
3 Cheers for Google Maps!!!

p.s. I am not a Google employee.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

A bottom of the line Garmin is better. And you can get one for about the same amount Jaguar charges to update the one in the car. Go figure.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll stay with my Droid free goggle maps.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Default Thanks!

Hey SkipM,
that worked! I did not see this in the first read through of the manual.

Chazaroo,
Jaguar has an upgrade?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I swear that my XKR navigation used to save the setting where the map always would rotate. Now, every time that I start my car, I have to hit the N button to get the map to rotate. Meaning that it resets to N each time I start the car rather than saving the map on rotate.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or can someone confirm that their car saves the setting of rotation rather than defaulting back to N each time? My dealer says that it is normal to return to N each time you start the car, but my Range Rover doesn't do this. Just can't remember whether my Jaguar did either....

Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is kind of an old post, but anyway.

I had the same, but not just that, it wouldn't save other settings too and the entire touch screen was replaced. (under warranty )

Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the 2013 upgrade will be available on the 2011 as a retro or purchasable upgrade? I would prefer not to add another electronic (Garmin) so I use my phone. It is frustrating that we paid this much for a car that has electronics from the Atari age (yes, I'm old). What probably makes it worse is that I have a Lexus 2010 SUV and the nav on it is AMAZING with the joy stick and voice control. Maybe they'll update it for us.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While on the NAV subject does your nav announce actual street names. My system only prompts turn left turn right etc. not announcing actual street names.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebeachatnight
I have a Lexus 2010 SUV and the nav on it is AMAZING with the joy stick and voice control. Maybe they'll update it for us.
Don't expect any answers from Jag, the Nav system simply stinks. I too came over from a Lex, and have to say that Lexus did it right....
But then they did all the electronics right, and much of the car itself wrong (I had an IS350) Lots of "wow" and "ooOOOoooo's", but zero joy in actually driving the car on the open road...

I would love to have Lexus (or even Audi) tech in a Jag, but realized that I craved the "drive" far more. I have chosen sides in an imperfect world. I learned technology doesn't always make a great car, and a great car without it is still a great car.

Vince

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I had a Lexus and it nearly sucked my soul away. Luckily my Jags were able to revive me!

I've had 2 Jags with navigation, but I've never actually used them for navigating--just glancing at the map. If I ever want to navigate somewhere unfamiliar, I use my smart phone! Of course, that has its own disadvantages...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by XKGuy
While on the NAV subject does your nav announce actual street names. My system only prompts turn left turn right etc. not announcing actual street names.
Your comment caught my eye. I bought a Garmin NUVI for another vehicle I own. It does announce the street names. But let me tell you hear and now the pronunciation is sooooooooo bad I can't recognize what she is saying a whole lot of the time.

Bottom line Garmin better? Not in my opinion. I bought this afore mentioned Nuvi for my other vehicle and I input Cotati Ca. It gives me but ONE route to get there from Ft Worth. On the Jag it gives me THREE routes to get there and I get to select which on. I can only work around this by inputting a city on the route I want to take and once getting to that city, then inputting Cotati Ca.

The Garmin Forum tells me I need to get an atlas for long distance driving and view the route. Yeah, sure. If I have my Rand McNally Atlas I don't need the Garmin.

Just me carping on a Sunday afternoon.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Default Andrew D

I have also just bought a 2011 XK Coupe. Wonderful car but sat nav seems a bit ponderous! Are updates available anywhere?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I have no problems with my Nav. You should try the Volvo Nav. if you think Jaguars is ponderous. Car manufactures are reinventing the wheel when it comes to Nav. systems and doing a lousy job.