Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 XKR: Cold Start Idle "Ticking"

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts
Default 2012 XKR: Cold Start Idle "Ticking"

After I had my Timing Chain Tensioners replaced due to a startup chatter back in July the Jag started great... Then around September on cold startup I thought I heard a noticable Ticking noise after the initial Vroooommmmm of the startup when it would idle down to about 500 rpm. Tick Tick Tick Tick loud. After driving the car for 3-4 minutes the tick would no longer be noticeable. If you restart the car when its warm it stays gone. Its just when its cold. Anyone have any idea? Tried to post some .m4a files but the site said the file attachments were invalid?

Anyone got a clue?

Loth

Old 10-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Loth,

A clue - from my previous post #2 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tartup-151807/

The ticking noise is probably caused by the fuel injectors and/or one or more valves out of adjustment. Have your dealer diagnose and repair it before your warranty expires. See: http:// https://www.jaguarforums.com/...get-rid-89466/

Does it make any difference if the AC compressor is engaged or disengaged? Does the speed of the ticking vary with the engine rpms? Does the engine run smooth or rough when you hear it ticking? Try listening better with the windows down and the hood open. Could it be the exhaust system heating up and making noise from expanding metal?

Too many possibilities, and I'd want to know the cause in case it could cause damage if ignored for too long. I'd take in in to the dealer to make sure it isn't a ticking time bomb, metaphorically speaking, of course.

Stuart

Old 10-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have exactly the same. I have been told it is the high pressure fuel pumps at start up. Goes away in a minute or two only when cold.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Well I'm going to need to check on those things.... It does go away when warm and not noticed any problem with the car as far as it running. What does the AC have to do with it?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Well I'm going to need to check on those things.... What does the AC have to do with it?
Process of elimination - to rule out the compressor bearings as the cause.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagst
I have exactly the same. I have been told it is the high pressure fuel pumps at start up. Goes away in a minute or two only when cold.
Email me at oucom52@yahoo.com. I will reply with the soundclips maybe you can confirm that this is the exact same sound!

Old 10-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

The tick seems to be audible just after the car settles down after initial startup to the 500rpm... the tick is in time with the engine tick tick tick tick sound like its coming from top of engine or front of the car - hard to tell. Does not seem to effected by Air Conditioning being on or off. revving the engine does not seem to make it get louder however but hard to tell wheny our in the car. Talked to 2 people in the know so far.. they do not know for sure what it could be.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

This morning I started the car up and there was no ticking. It was super cold start in the morning after 2 days no start. Sounded great for 3-4 min. Then I looked in the cabin and saw the climate control was set to auto and it was warmer in the car then outside so not much was happening. I set the climate control to LO and slowly i started to get the tick.

BUT... then i turned it off and the engine was ticking. Then before shutting car down put it back to original settings and turned the car off. Waited a few minutes. Turned the car back on and it ticked.

Ugh... I have no idea if I found a variable or not. UGH

Loth

Old 11-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

This morning I started the car up and there was no ticking. It was super cold start in the morning after 2 days no start. Sounded great for 3-4 min. Then I looked in the cabin and saw the climate control was set to auto and it was warmer in the car then outside so not much was happening. I set the climate control to LO and slowly i started to get the tick.

BUT... then i turned it off and the engine was ticking. Then before shutting car down put it back to original settings and turned the car off. Waited a few minutes. Turned the car back on and it ticked.

Loth
Loth,

You said it was super cold and it didn't tick when you first started it, and when you turned it off it the engine was ticking. That sounds like metal expansion noise, and not reciprocating engine noise, to me since it was ticking when the engine wasn't running. Most likely suspect: one or both catalytic converters expanding internally as they warm up.

Maybe you didn't notice that your Timex fell under your seat. "Takes a licking but keeps on ticking"

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-02-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Loth
Does the noise increase or decrease with engine speed. Does it only do it in neutral . Does it do it when the ar is moving.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

Landrover has a TSB for a similar issue with the AJ133 -

LTB-00474-NAS-2

I couldn't find a similar TSB from Jaguar for 2011 XK.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if I just if my engine needs a good BG cleaning?

Old 12-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

just an FYI. After giving the dealership my car on 11/12/15 was contacted a few days ago by one of their best techs. They state they were never able to isolate why the engine was ticking per say but that Jaguar ordered them to replace all 4 Variable Valve Timing units on the car (12 XKR with 27,000 miles). We will see if this works?

The Tick occurred under the following conditions:

1- Cold start let it idle down to 500rpm and wait 4-5 min and it would start ticking.
2- Drive it for 5 minutes and it would stop and stay stopped...but turn it off for a few minutes but still start warm and immediate ticking at idle (500 rpm).

Dag on weirdest thing ever and they had never heard of this problem before and neither had Jaguar. Doh!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 04:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tick from engine

Hi,

Same here, my 2013xkr has the exact same and is at the dealership as we speak, I have 5 days of warranty left.

When I start the car from cold in the garage I drop the windows and listen to the engine, at cold the engine stays at 1000rpm then after a few seconds I here the slight whir and then the engine drops to a steady 500rpm idle ............. With the tick, tick,tick, in time with the revolutions of the engine. Very similar to and it could be a faulty hydraulic tappet. Give the car a bit of throttle down the road and it's gone, but definitely should not be ticking at cold start.

The dealership had it in a few weeks back with the same complaint and fitted a supercharger kit, but it hasn't fixed the problem. When the dealership did the work I managed to travel 30 kms before the car "low coolant "light came on, I pulled over and got enveloped in steam!!!!!!!

Needless to say it had to get a tilt tray ride back to the dealership . Either they hadn't bled the coolant system, or left a hose clip loose, but I was very lucky to not have warped heads. I wrote to Jaguar UK and AU voicing my concern just in case I have a problem in the future with this engine due to work carried out be one of their trusted dealerships.

To say I was not happy would be an understatement, that and the fact I also adopted a few scratches on the top of my driver side wing, they said it wasn't done whilst doing the supercharger and I can't prove they did it, but it definitely wasn't there before, I know every millimetre of this car as I polish it at least once a week, those of you who have the same regime will know where I'm coming from, the car is not perfect, but I know what marks were there and the ones that were not.

I'll update further when I get the car back regarding the tick.

They are also investigating a flickering infotainment screen when the lights are on and driving at night.

I fitted Red stuff front & rear brake pads myself & flushed the brake fluid, the result. Good braking bite and a very small squeak from one rear calipers, that I'm hoping will disappeared when they have bed in, if not I'll apply more Bendigo grease.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKate
Hi,

Same here, my 2013xkr has the exact same and is at the dealership as we speak, I have 5 days of warranty left.

When I start the car from cold in the garage I drop the windows and listen to the engine, at cold the engine stays at 1000rpm then after a few seconds I here the slight whir and then the engine drops to a steady 500rpm idle ............. With the tick, tick,tick, in time with the revolutions of the engine. Very similar to and it could be a faulty hydraulic tappet. Give the car a bit of throttle down the road and it's gone, but definitely should not be ticking at cold start.

The dealership had it in a few weeks back with the same complaint and fitted a supercharger kit, but it hasn't fixed the problem. When the dealership did the work I managed to travel 30 kms before the car "low coolant "light came on, I pulled over and got enveloped in steam!!!!!!!

Needless to say it had to get a tilt tray ride back to the dealership . Either they hadn't bled the coolant system, or left a hose clip loose, but I was very lucky to not have warped heads. I wrote to Jaguar UK and AU voicing my concern just in case I have a problem in the future with this engine due to work carried out be one of their trusted dealerships.

To say I was not happy would be an understatement, that and the fact I also adopted a few scratches on the top of my driver side wing, they said it wasn't done whilst doing the supercharger and I can't prove they did it, but it definitely wasn't there before, I know every millimetre of this car as I polish it at least once a week, those of you who have the same regime will know where I'm coming from, the car is not perfect, but I know what marks were there and the ones that were not.

I'll update further when I get the car back regarding the tick.

They are also investigating a flickering infotainment screen when the lights are on and driving at night.

I fitted Red stuff front & rear brake pads myself & flushed the brake fluid, the result. Good braking bite and a very small squeak from one rear calipers, that I'm hoping will disappeared when they have bed in, if not I'll apply more Bendigo grease.

My dealership took the oil filter out and checked it...no debris. This is how my car was fixed-

1- THEY REPLACED THE TIMING CHAIN
2- THEY REPLACED ALL 4 ACTUATORS - VERY IMPORTANT - THIS IS WHERE THE TICKING IS COMING FROM!!! ONE OF THE ACTUATOR IS BAD AND NOBODY IS GONNA KNOW WHICH! SO REPLACE ALL 4 (700 bucks for 1 not under warranty - LUCKY YOU!!)
3- THEY REPLACED THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS
4- THEY RE-TIMED THE ENGINE.
1000% FIXED!!!!

CALL THEM NOW. The V8 engine EATS these chains. You replace those parts and it aint gonna tick no more!.
The engine had to be dropped - basically the car elevated over top of it.

WATER PUMP- . While they had my car apart they noticed for the 3rd time my water pump leaking. They replaced the pump AND THE STUB PIPE.. Very important they need to replace the other components as well not "just the pump". OR ITS GONNA LEAK AGAIN!!!

FEEL FREE TO PRINT THIS OFF.... THESE V8's EAT THE TIMING CHAINS... REMEMBER THAT! More frequent OIL CHANGES - 4000-5000 miles not 10,000.

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 07-13-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Did you guys get this taken care???

Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Default 5.0sc engine tick at idle

Hi guys,

My 5.0sc came back home with the same ticking noise, my dealer is now contacting Jaguar armed with write ups from other forum members who have had the same issue, this should enable the correct repair to be done and make my Jaguar engine sound like a Jaguar, not a 1980 2.)ltr ford Cortina (not that I have anything against Ford Cortina's) just using the noise as a comparison.

Jaguar has known of this problem for over 3 years and if reported I think they get on and fix the problem.

A timing chain and a few engine parts is better marketing than a unhappy customer, especially with the cost involved to purchase one of these beauties.

Let's hope It gets put right.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

somehow I feel like every 20-30k miles we are going to need to replace our superchargers and timing chains if we are going to want to keep our cats purring as they were designed to sound....

Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

somehow I feel like every 20-30k miles we are going to need to replace our superchargers and timing chains if we are going to want to keep our cats purring as they were designed to sound....
Lothar : to make this clear: it applies only to the 5 litre engines. The 4.2 litre engines do not have this issue (or any other issues!). The 4.2 V8 may be the best engine Jaguar has made yet.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 AM
Default 2013 Jaguar XKR 5.0 sc engine tick

Ok, new update.

Over the last two months the car has been back and forth to the dealership to try and diagnose the engine tick/rattle at cold start. The technicians at first could not hear the tick due to road noise outside the front of the dealership, even though the workshop is tucked around the back it still has background noise from the road that makes it difficult to hear slight ticking/rattle noises. I also handed in phone videos of the noise taken in my garage and also posted these to CJC Australia for their opinion.

The service manager came to my house at 7am one morning and we started the car in my garage from cold and we both video'd the sound and sure enough, there it was a lovely crisp ticking.

My car has now been at the dealer for two weeks for further diagnostics & testing, a tech from Jaguar Australia has been there for the last two days and the verdict is....... vvt problem.

They disconnected the vvt's and the sound disappeared, the dealer tech contacted me to keep me informed and said that it could be possible that the timing chains and tensioner could also be replaced when they take the front end off the engine to replace the faulty vvt's.

It looks like I'll have the car back for a couple of weeks while the parts are on order, but I look forward to a nice quiet start up from cold, can't wait.

Last edited by XKate; 10-19-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 XKR: Cold Start Idle "Ticking"