XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 XKR (not XKR-S)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2012 XKR (not XKR-S)

Looks like another minor facelift for the 2012 XK/XKR. It has the XKRS headlights with LED DRLs and also front fenders (no more side louvers/blades). Redesign front bumper. I hope the new headlights will be plug and play but I seriously doubt it will work with the current wiring harnass. Because the new headlights have a different shape...it looks like you will need the new bumper and front fenders to make it fit.

YouTube - 2012 Jaguar XKR Video

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 04-21-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ooh, nice find.

I liked the side blades/gills actually. Those new side 'vents' looks rather too much like and AM or a BMW!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the opportunity of seeing the car in person this past Wednesday in NYC at the IAC Building. Jaguar had a celebration for he 50th Anniversary of the E-Type. The headlights are definitely sharper and cleaner looking, similar to the new headlights on the new XF.

I would not be surprised if the new headlights can be fitted to a previous generation XKR since the only changes to the 2012 XKR is the fenders and bumper cover. Everything looks EXACTLY the same! It might be rather costly but probably do-able.

I had hoped to see the XKR-S but it was not on display. I think it was at the NY Auto Show but I am not sure.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
I had the opportunity of seeing the car in person this past Wednesday in NYC at the IAC Building. Jaguar had a celebration for he 50th Anniversary of the E-Type. The headlights are definitely sharper and cleaner looking, similar to the new headlights on the new XF.

I would not be surprised if the new headlights can be fitted to a previous generation XKR since the only changes to the 2012 XKR is the fenders and bumper cover. Everything looks EXACTLY the same! It might be rather costly but probably do-able.

I had hoped to see the XKR-S but it was not on display. I think it was at the NY Auto Show but I am not sure.
Thanks for the info Moe-she-sa! I hope you're right on the headlights (plug and play)....my only concern is with the new design with LED DRLs, I don't know how it will work with the current wiring harness. Hopefully some vendor can make some sort of wiring harness for the conversion if it doesn't fit. I'm with GrahamS...not really digging the front bumper brake ducts or side vents. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Here are some pics for those who haven't seen it yet....

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Looks like...

It appears they have taken a lot of the electronics from the new XJ. The side vents and chrome bar, as well as the general look of the front is even more like a DB9

I looked at the new XJ's at the dealer. I am a techie, and I love the electronics and the design of the XJ. Jag has taken some bold steps and their cars are really becoming icons again.

Yesterday I was on my way home and a guy driving a DB9 convertible pulled up beside me in traffic. He was not completely even with me but I could see him looking me up and down.

It's just my opinion, but I think we have some bad a$$ cars...

Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I hate when they redisgn so soon... I think there should be a 4 year minimum on facelifts and any design changes.

I think this front end is fairly major considering they've put the headlight washers into the bumper. Looks like Bumper fenders and headlights changed out are mandatory to make it all fit.

I personally will upgrade when the back seats get larger... my kids won't stop growing

Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 AM

I did not care for the previous facelift but I must say that Ian Callum got it right this time. I think really looks great!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Moe-sha.sa. The previous facelift was so-so, imo. This time they got it right. The xk keeps getting leaner, cleaner and its design (even if more than 4 year old) still makes it a work of beauty.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Default Rear windows...

Wonder if the rear windows are functional on the 2012 model?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

The more pics I see on the 2012 front bumper...it's growing on me. It might look better in person. Luckily I didn't upgrade my front bumper yet....might have to go with the 2012 bumper/front fenders if the headlights are plug and play or some sort of wiring harness will make it work.

That would be sweet if the rear windows work (I do like that feature on my SL65)....but I bet it's still a fixed window.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM

@ghostrider-do you have any pics of the side sills that you had installed on your XKR?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
@ghostrider-do you have any pics of the side sills that you had installed on your XKR?
Will definately take some Friday. The last few weeks it's been crappy weather here in Chicago...on and off rain. Yesterday....I had just had enough time to put on the R badge on the front grills....pull it out of the garage to take a few pics....and pull it back in the garage before it started raining again. Off and on rain today and tomorrow also.....I'll take some Friday as it looks like a clear day until more rain over the weekend.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Moe-She-sa,

Finally...some good weather today here in Chicago....here is some pics of the side skirts and also rear diffusor:

Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Wow

Looks great Ghost! I noticed you dropped the XK, today when I was looking at them I thought they were a bit plain, off, I don't know something not right... Anyway looks better with just the R.

Congrats on a great syling, enjoy!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 AM

@ghotrider- Thanks for posting the pics, your XKR looks really good! I have been toying around w/ the idea of putting the side skirts on for a few months. I have yet to see what it looks like in person. I have only seen the Jaguar promotional photos and was concerned that they might look "tacked on". I think I will take the plunge on the side skirts and the rear difussor.

I like the brake calipers as well! When I went to have my calipers powder coated I asked for them to be done in Nissan GTR bronze but they did not have a color that was a close match so I chose black.

It looks like I will be putting in an order to Mina Gallery and Nameless before month's end.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks guys.....

Mike V: I had it lowered last year with Paramount lowering springs. My friend commented it even looks lower now with the side skirts and rear diffusor.

Moe-she-sha: I know what you mean by tacted-on, I think Jaguar could have maybe soften the edges or rounded the front alittle more....but IMO....it looks better with the side skirts on than off. Now that you stand next to it and see the side skirts flared out....my first impression is......Aston Martin....as AM has some sweet flared out side skirts. Also...check your PM.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Default Fantastic machine!

Tom - you are ready for an episode of Miami Vice...

Paint is flawless - what kind of wax do you use?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
Tom - you are ready for an episode of Miami Vice...

Paint is flawless - what kind of wax do you use?
Rodney: All I have to do is find a white blazer and roll up the sleeves and I'm ready to roll! LOL.

I must have caught the sun at the right angle plus the reflection of the blue sky and other colors really brought out the black.....15 minutes later at the health club (in the last pic)....you can see it's not as vibrant. I wish my paint looks as good as that up close but there are swirl marks....inevitable with black even with the most plush and softest microfiber towels. I already place a call to a guy I know who does detailing to see if he can buff the swirls out.

Also....I think black does reflect better with a coat of wax....even if I use the same wax on my pewter SL....it just doesn't look as good.

As for what I used....this was the first wash/wax for the year so I started with Optimum No Rinse Wash to wash the car. Then used Meguires Clay Bar. As for wax....the first layer I used Dodo Juice Supernatural Paste and then topped it with Wolfgang Fuzion Carnuba paste wax. I usually wet the applicator before putting on the wax per section and the first time I used Optimum Opti Clean with the Supernatural and and FK425 with the Fuzion. That's pretty much it.....

Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default Have you ever heard of...

Menzerna? It is a micro polish I discovered several years ago. It's about $50 a bottle (or was).

It's professional micro polish. I use PO 106 FF. It has micro polish beads that removes swirl marks, and is easy to use. I use it instead of a clay bar. It also removes small scratches and blemishes in the clear coat.

www.menzerna.com : Willkommen bei Menzerna

Quick Reply: 2012 XKR (not XKR-S)