XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.2 > 5.0 exhaust note, why? Cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 > 5.0 exhaust note, why? Cutouts?

Shopping for an XK/XKR. I've heard people say that the 4.2 sounds better than the 5.0.
Wondering if anyone can offer an explanation why? Why would smaller potentially sound better than bigger?
Engineering background here, so feel free to get technical. But anything contributed is appreciated.

Shopping between the 4.2 and 5.0 purely for sound.
Also interested in reliability, but not interested in performance.

Also, thinking of potentially modifying the exhaust. Considering some type of electric remote exhaust cutout(s) system. Want it to rumble something scary then quiet down at will for the neighbors and such. City dweller here.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarshopperXK
Also interested in reliability, but not interested in performance........................
Maybe buy a Toyota instead?????

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
davchr (03-06-2018), jbretthorton (03-16-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I had the 4.2 XF, the smaller bore has a much more staccato sound like a traditional sports car IMO. I had a paramount back end put on it, the sound was just amazing, you could barely distinguish it from a 4.7 Aston Vantage. That sounds a stretch but no kidding.

When I got the 5.0 I was dreadfully disappointed in the sound. It didnt really have any throb to it, it is more raspy and metallic sounding. In fact it sounded like Jag's 6 pot NA V6 they used to have in the lower spec XFs, just louder. I put the paramount back box on that but it didnt help - just made it louder.

The 5.0 XKR sounded better than the NA, but not as good as the Paramount tweaked 4.2 IMO. This is a bad video, but it does have some of the aural goodies

Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Maybe buy a Toyota instead?????
Thanks for being snarky but I did consider the SC430.
Anyway this post is meant to be about 4.2 vs 5.0 XKs.
The additional info about what I'm looking for was meant to help toward that question.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I wasn't impressed with the video . Maybe it was just to muted to get any appreciation of the sound. It just seems to me that this community is looking for the holy grail of sound from their Jaguar. Considering it is very subjective my bet is some like the 4.2 and some like the 5.0. Then there is with or without the back box or the resonator delete and the X pipe. Also the aftermarket boxes and then nothing at all. So if you don't have any of these mods around you and there isn't a youtube clip then you'll just have to either take someone's word or take a chance.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I had the 4.2 XF, the smaller bore has a much more staccato sound like a traditional sports car IMO. I had a paramount back end put on it, the sound was just amazing, you could barely distinguish it from a 4.7 Aston Vantage. That sounds a stretch but no kidding.

When I got the 5.0 I was dreadfully disappointed in the sound. It didnt really have any throb to it, it is more raspy and metallic sounding. In fact it sounded like Jag's 6 pot NA V6 they used to have in the lower spec XFs, just louder. I put the paramount back box on that but it didnt help - just made it louder.

The 5.0 XKR sounded better than the NA, but not as good as the Paramount tweaked 4.2 IMO. This is a bad video, but it does have some of the aural goodies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNzx5LfmEg
Thanks. I hear what you mean about stuccato. I wonder though if the 4.2 sounds arguably better just under hard acceleration though, vs idle and putting in traffic. I wonder which one rumbles lower.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Listening to a YouTube video clip to evaluate exhaust sounds is pointless on a cell phone or tablet because the built-in speaker is incapable of reproducing the full sound spectrum.

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sitting at my PC and it still doesnt sound anywhere near as good as it was in real life. Honestly, the paramount enhanced 4.2 even in a NA is the best sounding exhaust I've heard. A quite attractive young lady who lived down the road from me told me that her and her husband loved laying in bed listening to it start up in the morning. My brain nearly exploded.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Listening to a YouTube video clip to evaluate exhaust sounds is pointless on a cell phone or tablet because the built-in speaker is incapable of reproducing the full sound spectrum.
I would assume so but I don't do youtube on my cell. Either the lap top or desk top with speaker system but still not the same as being there. As for me I'm happy with the PAE in my 2012 XKR with the top down.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

I think this YouTube video does a good job of capturing the na xk 5.0 : https://youtu.be/3EpO_TmRyTg

It doesn't get loud until you get over 3000rpm... But it's a sweet sound in my opinion.
For a good 5.0 sc sound I think this video captures it :
https://youtu.be/bByMkAmuSxo

Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

IMO the 5L XKR has a much better sound at idle than either the 5L NA or any 4.2L. At full throttle the XKR with PAE exhaust has deep throaty sound that says power. It really is a personal matter. My suggestion is drive both in all the various choices presented by each car and make your own judgment as to which you like best.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

The best sounding engine I ever had was in my '60 Vette. I replaced the original 283 in 1965 with a factory short block 327/365HP with solid lifters, high-lift cam, Holley 3310, Hooker headers, and factory off-road round mufflers. At idle, the mechanical sounds of the engine lope, lifters and muffler burble was intoxicating. Shifting through the gears to the 6500 RPM redline was symphonic, with the pitch rising with the revs. Unlike today's gutteral and raucous F-Type V8, my Vette was music to my ears.

Search this Forum for Zora Arkus Duntov Sounds of Corvette, a recording from 1961.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

If you're going to alter the exhaust, then I'm not sure how much the exhaust note on the original exhaust matters? Some of the clips I've seen of XKs with aftermarket exhaust have wildly different notes.

I quite like the sound of

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Not to mention the number of different cameras/microphones used...

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 02-27-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

And I'll add that using a Go Pro is a joke. Mine does not reproduce sound nearly like live. Definitely attenuating a lot of the lower frequency stuff. My drone videos showed that and overall the amplitude is low compared to live.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ranchero50

Last edited by Ranchero50; 02-28-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jaguarshopperXK
Shopping for an XK/XKR. I've heard people say that the 4.2 sounds better than the 5.0.
Wondering if anyone can offer an explanation why? Why would smaller potentially sound better than bigger?
Well, I guess the appreciation of the sound of a V8 (and they all vary considerably) is very much a personal taste and in no way totally dependent on the capacity of the engine. IMO the Triumph Stag, with its 3.0L V8 and standard exhaust would have to be one of the sweetest sounding V8’s ever made.
Then you get those that think that a Ferrari is just the greatest sounding V8 ever, but for me, that sound is like running your finger nails down a class room blackboard (guess I’m showing my age with that comparison). The difference in sound here is not attributed to the design of the exhaust or engine capacity, but attributed to the different crank shafts used by Ferrari’s whereby, regular V8s (such as our Jaguars) use a cross-plane crankshaft (X) but the more exotic cars such as Ferrari’s use a Flat-plane crankshaft (-).

In the end it is an individual preference, which I have to admit, I love the sound of my 4.2 Portfolio and the added whir of the supercharger, which has been very much silence in the later 5.0L.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Im going to try cut outs soon. I like straight pipes but some control in order to go back to stock is the better option. The paramount exhaust looks like the way to go if cutouts are not an option you want to consider

Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJCCAT

Well, I guess the appreciation of the sound of a V8 (and they all vary considerably) is very much a personal taste and in no way totally dependent on the capacity of the engine. IMO the Triumph Stag, with its 3.0L V8 and standard exhaust would have to be one of the sweetest sounding V8’s ever made.

In the end it is an individual preference, which I have to admit, I love the sound of my 4.2 Portfolio and the added whir of the supercharger, which has been very much silence in the later 5.0L.
Agreed on the stag. A surprise packet was also the 4.0 yamaha v8 that volvo used for a while in the s80s and xc90s, it sounded awesome at higher revs but not loud enough. And the 4.7 in the Vantage. But before I can say that they are always small bore V8s that I like, I have to confess that the 6.3 AMG V8 makes the hair on my face stand up.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm one of those that dearly love my 4.2 XK exhaust note. I'm driving a Cat, and when open her up, the sheer deep and guttural 'growl' is music from my cat that always puts a smile on my face.
The rice crispy 'Snap crackle and pop' of my 5.0 XKR has no emotional feelings to it. In fact I consider it the opposite. Where the XK growl was unique enough to touch my soul, I have often said my XKR sounds exactly like all the bazillion 5L Rustangs out there, and I feel have no pride in that...just annoyed...

The OP question is interesting though, as I wonder what part of the exhaust system did change to support the 5.0? Did pipe diameter increase? Alterations to the mufflers internals?
I know the rice crispy sound is mostly due to the shift from multi-port injection to direct injection, as we now run a very lean mixture compared to cars that still use MPI or even carbureted fuel delivery. I suspect Jag wimped out, and used off the shelf stuff from the 4.2 warehouse, and unlike their concern with the 4.2 sound track, they simply plugged the 5.0 into the 4.2 same plumbing diameter? Larger displacement, trapped with smaller pipes would give you a higher pitch. Interesting to think about.... Anyone have a clue?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

the pipe diameter did increase - I can remember when I put the Paramount back box from my 4.2 onto the 5.0 they had to put in some kind on connector because of the different gauge.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
...and unlike their concern with the 4.2 sound track, ...
They certainly seemed very serious about the soundtrack on the 4.2

It's the first time I've had a car on which I have no intention whatsoever of altering the intake/exhaust for a different sound.

Quick Reply: 4.2 > 5.0 exhaust note, why? Cutouts?