Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adamesh LED Fog Lights - Style 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Adamesh LED Fog Lights - Style 1

Hey guys, I'm considering upgrading my fog lights to these:

Jaguar XK LED Day Time Running & Fog Lights - Style 1

I like the look but am concerned that the 10W LED will come nowhere close to the light output of the factory H11 55W units. My question is, if you've installed these, how does the light output compare and is it still usable? Are these a waste of time?

Please note the model of light I'm asking about, as there are other styles that use multiple LEDs. Also, my question is strictly about the fog light function, not the DRL function.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

kj07xk might be able to help here. He's replaced his factory fog lights with the Adamesh variety, and has re-wired them to come on as driving lights. I've been dragging my feet - for some lame reason - on doing the same for mine.

The following users liked this post:
Big Otter (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
kj07xk might be able to help here. He's replaced his factory fog lights with the Adamesh variety, and has re-wired them to come on as driving lights. I've been dragging my feet - for some lame reason - on doing the same for mine.
Sorry guys, I've got the lamps but haven't installed them yet. It was on my agenda for last Nov., while the wife was out of town, but got sidetracked with wheels, tires, oil pressure monitoring, and the most lame reason... work.
According to Adamesh the fog light funtion should be 'plug and play', but need to find 12v ignition controlled source to power the DRL function.
The right hand lamp looks easy to get to, but the left hand one has 'stuff' in the way, so a bit more effort.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Big Otter (03-02-2017), LoudHogRider (03-06-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Do you plan to use them as fogs or DRL's?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Do you plan to use them as fogs or DRL's?
Both.

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a set. Probably take 3 weeks to get to the USA.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Big Otter - My experience with Adamesh is that they use Airfreight so you may get the shipment iwth a few days. My wind deflectors arrived with 2-3 days from date of shipment.

Big Otter (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Big Otter - My experience with Adamesh is that they use Airfreight so you may get the shipment iwth a few days. My wind deflectors arrived with 2-3 days from date of shipment.
That's encouraging, thank you!

Old 03-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
And a fine air deflector it remains, Ralph. Had the top down tooling around earlier this afternoon enjoying a well above average temperature day here in Omaha.

Then the thunderstorms hit. And the hail. Fortunately, no damage, but enough pea sized hail that it literally drifted in the downspout pop-up emitters and the yard looked like it had snowed.

ralphwg (03-06-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 AM

As ralphwg predicted, the shipment was speedy - I received it yesterday. Since I'm off on Tuesdays, guess what I'm going to do?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM

I installed the lights and it took about 3.5 hours, and quite a bit of that time was spent trying to figure out where I was going to get power to the DRLs. I settled on the Power Distribution Box under the hood, on the driver's side (USA), then fuse F9.

When the car is at rest and not energized, the circuit is dead. When one unlocks the car, it is energized. I don't have the lights connected in such a way that the DRLs go off when the headlights come on. The fogs work like they always have, with the switch, and only when at least the parking lights are on.

This image does not do these justice; they are VERY bright in DRL-only mode. I may have to end up switching them off at night. They appear less than concentric within the fog light well due to the angle of the photo. Once one walks away from the vehicle, the circular light establishes itself as expected.

It's supposed to be rainy tonight and I'll take them out for a quick spin to evaluate the effectiveness of the illumination and potential hazard to oncoming drivers.

kj07xk (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Nice job! Need to find some time to install mine.

Big Otter (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Nicely done! I for one will be very interested in your evaluation

Big Otter (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 AM

My initial observations, briefly from last night around the neighborhood, was that these put out more light than my (old bulbs) 55w halogen fogs and that the DRLs may be too bright for use at night. I may have to wire them to turn off with the headlights. I'll continue using them for a few more days before I do anything.

As an aside, the driver's side - even though there was more "stuff" around the fog light - was still easy to work on and get to and was not frustrating. The passenger side took about 15 minutes once the wheel and fender liner were off. You can mount the switching module like this:

The driver's side was mounted like this:

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Otter:
kj07xk (03-08-2017), LoudHogRider (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Well done, sir!
Its good to hear that the DRL portion is bright. Want them to be seen in the sun, so I'm not surprised they're too bright for night use. Great info.

Big Otter (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Well done, sir!
Its good to hear that the DRL portion is bright. Want them to be seen in the sun, so I'm not surprised they're too bright for night use. Great info.
Thank you!

There's a huge church with an expansive parking lot nearby and soon I will park Cat and walk to the end of the lot to see just how bright the DLRs are, but my initial impressions are very positive. Frankly, I'm surprised, given that the DRLs are only 9.5W each (and the fogs just 10W each). But then again this is a different animal than tungsten filament lighting.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Otter
I installed the lights and it took about 3.5 hours, and quite a bit of that time was spent trying to figure out where I was going to get power to the DRLs. I settled on the Power Distribution Box under the hood, on the driver's side (USA), then fuse F9.

When the car is at rest and not energized, the circuit is dead. When one unlocks the car, it is energized. I don't have the lights connected in such a way that the DRLs go off when the headlights come on. The fogs work like they always have, with the switch, and only when at least the parking lights are on.

This image does not do these justice; they are VERY bright in DRL-only mode. I may have to end up switching them off at night. They appear less than concentric within the fog light well due to the angle of the photo. Once one walks away from the vehicle, the circular light establishes itself as expected.

It's supposed to be rainy tonight and I'll take them out for a quick spin to evaluate the effectiveness of the illumination and potential hazard to oncoming drivers.
They look great. Thanks for the pics in the follow-up posts as well. I'd like to have mine as true DLR's, so they're on with the ignition. To clarify, running these to that point in the Power Distribution Box has them "always on" as true DLR's and also acting as fog lamps when that switch is thrown? If so, ordering today!

Last edited by LoudHogRider; 03-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
They look great. Thanks for the pics in the follow-up posts as well. I'd like to have mine as true DLR's, so they're on with the ignition. To clarify, running these to that point in the Power Distribution Box has them "always on" as true DLR's and also acting as fog lamps when that switch is thrown? If so, ordering today!
Thanks!

That's correct. When you unlock your car, they come on (an unintended courtesy feature) and when you start it up, they're on. If you want the fogs on, flip the switch and both are on.

When you shut off the car, the DRLs are on and when you get out and lock the doors, they go out.

To achieve this functionality, simply tape up the yellow wire in the kit. You'll know which one, there's only one. If you DO want the DRLs to go off when you hit your headlights, connect the yellow wire to the headlight circuit.

LoudHogRider (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Thanks!

That's correct. When you unlock your car, they come on (an unintended courtesy feature) and when you start it up, they're on. If you want the fogs on, flip the switch and both are on.

When you shut off the car, the DRLs are on and when you get out and lock the doors, they go out.

To achieve this functionality, simply tape up the yellow wire in the kit. You'll know which one, there's only one. If you DO want the DRLs to go off when you hit your headlights, connect the yellow wire to the headlight circuit.
ORDERED!

Big Otter (03-10-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 AM

Thanks!

All right, they're here and I'm heading under the car this morning. Am I hooking up that yellow wire or not? What did you decide?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:53 PM

FWIW, mine are "in" and operational. The only thing I did different than Big Otter was to use a quick connector to grab power for the lights, using what I believe is the same fuse (F9 / 15A) in the "bonnet/hood" power box. The kit from Adamesh came with a four quick connectors, though I used one I already had at home to tie into the single green wire running out the bottom of the power box for that fuse. The yellow wire is tied off and non-operational.

My initial impression is that they look great and I don't think I'll need to worry about turning them off at night. A few spins around town will provide some anecdotal evidence in support of or against that approach. The fine folks I share the road with in these parts will let you know if you're doing something to offend them :-)

Thanks again for taking the plunge on this one, Big Otter. It gave me the confidence to give it a whirl myself. I'll feel safe driving with these in place.

Big Otter (03-17-2017)