XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Headlight Issue

Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlight Issue

I have a headlight flash code going on in the dash. Bottom line is when I turn my car on the passenger side headlight "cycles" like it should but the drivers side doesn't do a thing besides almost pointing to the ground with it's beam. Maybe one in every 100 starts or so will the drivers side cycle and be fine. I took it to jag and they were pretty much clueless as to what the actual problem is. They quoted me a new adaptive headlight for 2K. I laughed and walked out. Anyone that has any insight to what the actual issue is and could it possibly be fixed? I attached a few pics as well. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Headlight Issue-image.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Another pic. As you can clearly see in this one that the drivers side headlight beam hits directly onto the parking cement stop.

Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Headlight Issue-image.jpg  

Last edited by MJB1221; 10-08-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I am just as clueless as the Jaguar people were but, going to ask a very basic question:

Does your high beam operate on the driver side when you switch it manually by the stalk?

Kind of reminds me when I had an Olds Intrique and the left turn light went out. The dealer quoted $1500 because the turn lights worked off a computer module which had to be changed to fix it. Welcome to the age of computers for all functions.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
I am just as clueless as the Jaguar people were but, going to ask a very basic question:

Does your high beam operate on the driver side when you switch it manually by the stalk?

Kind of reminds me when I had an Olds Intrique and the left turn light went out. The dealer quoted $1500 because the turn lights worked off a computer module which had to be changed to fix it. Welcome to the age of computers for all functions.
Yes, the high beam still works on that side although not as low (height wise) as the regular beam. I just don't want to spend a boat load on a brand new light if one of the parts/cup module just needs to be replaced.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

MJB1221,
I had the exact same thing happen, only with both headlights about 3 weeks ago. They were "crosseyed" and pointing straight down to the ground. It happened after I had the custom body work done, and my mechanic/body man had unhooked the battery so that it wouldn't drain while the doors or trunk were open for long periods of time. He called a friend of his who had a reader and programmer for Jaguar, and in less than a minute he had them working. Interestingly, it happened to me again, 2 nights ago, but after parking for a short while, it worked fine after I restarted it. Was your battery disconnected recently for any work performed? Either way, it's a programming or reset problem. And the Jag dealer you went to is obviously incompetent (which is why I never go back to dealers for anything unless it's a warranty issue).

The following users liked this post:
MJB1221 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
MJB1221,
I had the exact same thing happen, only with both headlights about 3 weeks ago. They were "crosseyed" and pointing straight down to the ground. It happened after I had the custom body work done, and my mechanic/body man had unhooked the battery so that it wouldn't drain while the doors or trunk were open for long periods of time. He called a friend of his who had a reader and programmer for Jaguar, and in less than a minute he had them working. Interestingly, it happened to me again, 2 nights ago, but after parking for a short while, it worked fine after I restarted it. Was your battery disconnected recently for any work performed? Either way, it's a programming or reset problem. And the Jag dealer you went to is obviously incompetent (which is why I never go back to dealers for anything unless it's a warranty issue).
Wow, very interesting and intriguing news. Thanks for your post. It's actually been an issue for a few months now but I just posted about it today so I'm trying recall exactly if I had it disconnected for any time back then but nothing is popping in my head. What would you recommend the best course of action for me to take cause obviously Jag is no help? Do you think unhooking the battery a while and then back would do anything even though you said that's what caused your issue? Also, if it makes any difference I installed a new battery maybe 2 years ago so I doubt my battery is already going bad but you never know with these cars. Thanks again for your input!! Also out of curiosity, did your car throw the code in the dash with the blinking light?

Last edited by MJB1221; 10-08-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

I would suggest going to an independent Jaguar service facility and having them take a look. The guy who did mine, plugged into the OBD plug and had some kind of programming device with a screen. It did not take him 5 minutes, maybe not 2 minutes, so it's clear this is a known phenomenon with an easy fix. I did not have the flashing warning. However, the other early morning, I was driving rather spiritedly up a hill and the flashing warning came on. It was daylight so my lights were not on but the warning was flashing. I tried restarting car but it stayed on. When I stopped and the car was parked for a bit, I came back out and it was gone. Just get an "indie" to reprogram for a few dollars.

Good luck. If you don't get anyone, I will call my mechanic to call his guy, and I will ask, specifically, what he does to reprogram.

MJB1221 (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:55 AM

I would suggest going to an independent Jaguar service facility and having them take a look. The guy who did mine, plugged into the OBD plug and had some kind of programming device with a screen. It did not take him 5 minutes, maybe not 2 minutes, so it's clear this is a known phenomenon with an easy fix. I did not have the flashing warning. However, the other early morning, I was driving rather spiritedly up a hill and the flashing warning came on. It was daylight so my lights were not on but the warning was flashing. I tried restarting car but it stayed on. When I stopped and the car was parked for a bit, I came back out and it was gone. Just get an "indie" to reprogram for a few dollars.

Good luck. If you don't get anyone, I will call my mechanic to call his guy, and I will ask, specifically, what he does to reprogram.
Once I find some time, I'll take to an Indie shop and see what the deal is. I'll let you know the end result. Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it!!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the information. Mine use to do the self leveling when first started but they no longer do it. I was thinking the level switch was bad. Glad to know it's just a programming issue.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

I've had a couple of other incidents with the headlights over the last couple of weeks. One night i was leaving my house and was parked in front of the garage, the lights were vibrating like someone was shaking the car, wouldn't stay still. I turned the car off and re-started, and it was back to normal. On another evening, lights were cross-eyed again and pointing to the ground again, once again, re-started car and it returned to normal.

Oh well, it wouldn't be a Jag if it didn't have quirks.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

mine was looking way right or left.. I think a similar problem.. its either the controller on the lights themselves or the servo motors inside the unit.. The servo units are nearly impossible to get to.. (you need to crack open the light case using an oven and such).. the modules can be removed from the light.. but according to my dealer cannot be replaced individually..

to make a long story even longer.. I went for the new unit.. at indeed 2k$

Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2011 xkr did the same thing after it sits for a week without driving. Left headlight looking down. Right worked fine. Took about 20 minutes of driving and turning off/on before it cleared itself. I have an appt with dealer for warranty work. Hopefully, they will fix it on their nickel.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

That's great to know. My left headlight is stuck looking to the left....I guess mine is cockeyed. I went to the dealer and he said he would order a new unit for me, but never quoted a price. Jaguar is Scottsdale truly suck if you ask me. I would have been pissed if they installed a new headlight for 2k when its just a programming issue. My warranty expires in June so I'll take my business elsewhere.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I owned my XKR for a few days before I drove it at night for the first time. Left headlight was good, right side was looking down and to the right like it was searching the sidewalk. The next day I pulled the light assembly out and opened it up on the work bench. one of the ball and caps had become disconnected, (can't imagine how that would have happened) I popped it back together, put the assembly back into the car and adjusted the lights against the garage door. All is fine now.

The following 2 users liked this post by JackJohn:
bklynchris (04-03-2016), guy (04-08-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
I owned my XKR for a few days before I drove it at night for the first time. Left headlight was good, right side was looking down and to the right like it was searching the sidewalk. The next day I pulled the light assembly out and opened it up on the work bench. one of the ball and caps had become disconnected, (can't imagine how that would have happened) I popped it back together, put the assembly back into the car and adjusted the lights against the garage door. All is fine now.

Thx for the info. That'll be my "plan B," if the programming thing doesn't work.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

One thing that I have done is not use the auto-lights setting. This way I am not using them as much, because they will come on in the garage on a sunny day, and turn off when I get out. All that wear and tear for nothing.

kj07xk (04-03-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
That's great to know. My left headlight is stuck looking to the left....I guess mine is cockeyed. I went to the dealer and he said he would order a new unit for me, but never quoted a price. Jaguar is Scottsdale truly suck if you ask me. I would have been pissed if they installed a new headlight for 2k when its just a programming issue. My warranty expires in June so I'll take my business elsewhere.
I have the warning light on dash jaguar can't find the solution

Old 04-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by rolexslk2007
I have the warning light on dash jaguar can't find the solution
The fix for that is usually to replace the module (which is much cheaper than replacing the light unit). The error codes should tell Jag which one is playing up.

I had it intermittently on mine (hyper annoying and distracting with the warning light going off, and it makes me hungry because it looks like a bowl of ramen) - it would flash for maybe a day then be fine for a few weeks. Anyway they replaced the module late last year and I've only had it go off once or twice since.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 XKR lense is cracking so I found a headlight assy on line for $425.00, it came in without the AFS mod, must be an XK headlight. Can I use this one and uplug the other unit so I don't have moving headlights.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Adaptive headlight problems

I’ve had the same problem but there are 3 causes for the malfunction: 1. In each adaptive headlight there is I resister and an integrated fuse, one or both are getting ready to die. When that happens there is no reprogramming, only a full replacement of the module at $2700. Remember I said integrated fuse and resister, meaning they are sealed and can not economically be replaced. The r and r of the fuse and resister is $1950.00.

2. The motors on your adaptive headlight is going out, no replacement parts only a new assembly. I took the time and got the maintenance Manuel, the one the maintenance techs use and their troubleshooting tree says r and r the adaptive headlight assembly. Go figure.

3: From time to time Jaguar grymlins of years gone by sneak into the electrical and cause what we technical geniuses call “ a glitch” lol you can do one of 3 things A) recycle power (soft reset)after giving the system 1 minute to spool down and reset. B) disconnect car battery again for 1 minute and hard reset system or C) clear the error code or reprogram....the problem though is that the adaptive headlights are going out and will have to be replaced sooner or later but I,ve been been resetting mine for 4 years now. I just don’t want to spend $5200 for two headlight assemblies.....cheap maybe...but I haven’t spent that 5200 yet....I’ve got to replace my dash and felt headliner first

btw. I’ve got a
2010 Jaguar XKR coupe
with the Mina supercharger pulls and Dino tuned
to XKR-S specs
black on black

My baby at home

My baby at home

ralphwg (03-26-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlight Issue