XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adaptive headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default adaptive headlight problem

I have been doing research on this error and im confused about the solution,,i recently had a battery failure and replaced with a new one, and car starts fine and the systems are back to normal...but one thing...i now have an adaptive headlight error and one of my headlights is not level...of course this has something to do with the battery..my question will it correct itself or do ihave them reprogemmed..do i need a dealer to do this or can i do it myself...thanks for any suggesstions....

Old 03-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

If the adaptive front lighting system (AFS) module detects an error, it will try to 'park' the affected headlamp in a low position, to make sure it won't dazzle other drivers. I can't see any reprogramming sequence in the workshop manual - the AFS system seems to be self-calibrating, which is what you see going on when you turn on the headlamps (lights go down, go cross-eyed, then assume correct position).

A dealer or independent with the Jag diagnostic system will be able to read the diagnostic codes and see what the AFS module is complaining about. It is possible that the AFS module will keep that headlamp low (for safety) until the code is cleared, or it may be an actual failure that just coincided with your battery swap.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I had this same problem after my battery was removed during the body modifications that I had done. When I picked up my car, the headlights were crosseyed and facing down. They were reprogrammed in about a 2 minute perioed of time and returned to normal for a period of time. However, a couple of months later, the problem returned and a scan of codes revealed a bad motor in one of the headlights. I purchased a used one from another forum member, and it's been fine ever since. I wondered then (and now) if you couldn't just purchase the motor module or whatever it's called and repair the existing headlight. I still have the headlight I removed just in case I ever find that solution.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I found a way to have the headlights self readjust. Turn on the car, turn the wheel to full left lock, then full right lock 3 to 4 times, put back to center, turn car off, restart, lights are back to normal and dash flashing light goes away.

this used to happen to me on a regular basis, I had a faulty center display that would never shut off and drain my battery even if on a tender. once I had the display unit changed, a new battery I haven't had the headlight issue either, but since I was constantly dealing with a low or dead battery I had to readjust the headlights almost daily with that system.

hope it helps

Justin

The following 3 users liked this post by Jhuntbatch:
Ngarara (03-22-2015), ralphwg (03-22-2015), tberg (03-22-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Default Update

Okay, I have tried the following.. I have charged the battery again, No effect..I disconnected the battery for 24 hours no effect. I tried the lock left and right several times no effect...I get no diagnostic code on ODBC scanner, so codes nothing to clear. when I turn on the code and the lights go to self leveling I can hear the motor trying to move and no avail..I'm going to purchase a Adaptive module found on ebag for $19.00 first before I investigate any further.
Thank you for your help...any further help would be appreciated.

al

Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

If the motor is turning, I'd guess the module is OK; if the module was the problem, the motor wouldn't be activated - $19 is not a big investment to check it, anyway. What may have happened is that the mechanism that connects the motor to the lamp has broken.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM

Okay..my next question is how to access the motor assembly?? can I access the motor from the rear, or do I have to access it from removing the lens??. I can move the gears by finger, and it will re park itself..but the error still remains.. I really don't see a way to access the motor or interior from the rear of the headlight ..so I'm assuming you have to remove the lens first to get inside..

thanks again..

Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting - if it re-parks, that suggests the motor & mechanism are working, at least in part. It can't be the sensors for front & rear height, because that would affect both lights. There are no sensors for the lamp position, because the motor is a stepper motor, so all the module has to do is move the motor to one end of its range, set the step counter to zero, then it can step the motor to any position it likes (hence the lamp movements on power-up).

Not sure what to suggest, to be honest. I guess trying the eBay module is a start. The headlamp isn't officially serviceable - you're supposed to replace the whole thing. So if the motor or mechanism are faulty, there's no instructions for disassembling the lamp unit and no replacement parts. Obviously you could cannibalise another unit, but if you had another unit, you'd fit it!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:56 PM

okay..I will check the module first then go to plan b..either try to open the lens and check to see if any gears are broken or just replace the headlight all together..again thanks for the information..
al

Old 03-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

There's a thread here about disassembling the headlights:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adlamp-110636/

Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM

Yes that's it..it seems like its the only way to access the motor assembly...thanks for the link...I will see if I can do this with a heat gun, if not then I guess the oven is next..

again thank you for your help..

Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by synperkaya
...again thank you for your help..
No problem - that's what this forum is all about. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM

Update...I replaced the Adaptive headlight module, and No change..My next move to take it to a jaguar service center and see if it can reprogram the affected light and clear the adaptive error code on my dash..otherwise, i have to replace the whole unit..

Old 03-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck - hope you don't need to replace the headlamp. You can sometimes find them on eBay, or try a wrecker like Coventry West (GA).

The following users liked this post:
Bryan at Coventry West (03-26-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Default Update

okay..after taking my XK to the dealer to ensure there is no programming or leveling needed to clear the adaptive headlamp error, I was able to purchase an adaptive headlamp from Ebag for an offer of $250.00 and sure enough it cleared the error code from my dash.. I'm as-summing that my AFS motor on my drivers side headlamp was not working correctly and cause the error..as soon as I replaced the lamp and restarted the car, the error disappeared.. Thanks to all for your help in this matter..

Also after having a discussion with the mechanic, he clearly stated that the headlamps had tight tolerances and there was no real programming needed to replace the headlamp..just replace them if needed.

al

Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

for anyone else having this problem, my mechanic told me its a faulty wire usually inside the headlight.. he told me they usually fix it for their European customers at around 350 euro.. which is a lot less expensive than a brand new one..

(Exco auto's in Netherlands)

(but 250$ on ebay would be even cheaper..)