Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To all Mina Exhaust owners!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default To all Mina Exhaust owners!

Hi all,

I just got a 2012 XKR and been going back and forth on what to do with the exhaust. I love the price and looks of the Mina exhaust, but have been told by some here, that the sound is even quieter than the stock exhaust!

My question: Is that true?

Sound is my number one concern, I don't want to go crazy, and I read all the good reviews on the more expensive systems (Spires/Quicksilver), but I'm trying to keep my money together. The Mina exhaust would fit the bill, but if it is actually quieter, I'd be spending money on achieving the opposite of what I want.

Very thankful for any insights!

Cheers,

Marko

Old 07-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Go with the Spires Stage 3 you won't regret it. You get what you pay for in life.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Go with the Spires Stage 3 you won't regret it. You get what you pay for in life.
Thanks, but that wasn't really my question.

I prefer the deeper Mina sound, without all the crackle. European sound. Cost is also a factor, but with something as subjective as exhaust notes, it's not always a "you get what you pay for" thing. Cheers.

Any Mina exhaust owners that can chime in?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Marko,
I have the Mina exhaust on my 2010 XKR, and I will confirm that it is quieter than stock exhaust. I purchased the exhaust system from another forum member, Schwabe, who soon after putting the Mina system on his XKR was not satisfied with it, and I purchased it (with very little mileage on the exhaust) from him. In addition, last October, another forum member, GrtShrk (Bob) came down to pick up his new (to him) XKR (I believe it was a 2012 or 13), and he, forum member Ralphwg, and I met for coffee, to say hello, and introduce ourselves. Afterwards, we all started our cars to compare exhaust sounds. Ralph has an XK with the Mina exhaust, and it sounded loud and robust. Bob started his XKR with stock exhaust, and it was the usual raspy, medium growl of the stock exhaust, and then I started my XKR with Mina exhaust and while it's a nice more European sound, it was definitely the most muted of the three. I have considered putting my stock exhaust back on or after listening to Lothar52's rave review (and sound clip) of the Spires exhaust considered purchasing it and replacing the Mina system, or just leaving it alone and save the time and expense of replacement. I have been so busy, I just haven't had time to think it through. I might be persuaded to sell the Mina at a considerable discount if you decide to go that route. Let me know.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Maybe this will help..
Videos | Spires

Old 07-24-2015, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
...we all started our cars to compare exhaust sounds. Ralph has an XK with the Mina exhaust, and it sounded loud and robust. Bob started his XKR with stock exhaust, and it was the usual raspy, medium growl of the stock exhaust, and then I started my XKR with Mina exhaust and while it's a nice more European sound, it was definitely the most muted of the three.
Am I reading this correctly? The XK with Mina was louder than the XKR with Mina?

Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
With the Jag, I'd agree. Shortcuts don't work well on this car. Jag did a great job and upping them doesn't come cheap. I would not let the initial cost of the Spire, etc... exhaust scare you off. Remember that these exhausts maintain their value pretty well and if/when you move on from the XKR, you'll be able to sell the exhaust for 75% what you paid for it. Keep the packing materials!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Kj07xk,
Yes, Ralph's 5.0L XK with the Mina exhaust was louder and "raspier" than my XKR with the Mina exhaust. Can't explain it, but this was the case.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM

I called Mina, and they said they never heard that it is quieter than stock. It's less aggressive then Quicksilver, or Spires on purpose, they said. European, deeper note. The tech I talked to said some remove a resonator to up the db, while keeping the deep sound. The crackle and "farts" of the other two systems are a question of taste, liked it on my Porsches, not on the XKR though.

I will go with the Mina package, and do the pulley upgrade too. If it is not loud enough, I may delete a resonator.

I will post my full experience of course. :-)

Marko

FrickenJag (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Consider trying a mid-pipe change? Delete resonator or change resonator and add an x-pipe?

Do a before and after clip if you can .

Regards,
D. Fricke

Old 07-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Consider trying a mid-pipe change? Delete resonator or change resonator and add an x-pipe?

Do a before and after clip if you can .

Regards,
D. Fricke
Yep, this was my first idea too. The results of an x-pipe setup vary so widely though, that it seemed like a role of dice to me. Position and quality of work really make a difference there.

I will take video, though it probably won't exceed the rather poor quality of most other videos out there. I will use a db counter, and try to account for position of microphone, cold start, place, and so on.

Thanks everybody for their input!

Marko

FrickenJag (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be interested in seeing (hearing?) the results of your removal of a resonator. Depending on your results, I may do the same. Thanks for being the "guinea pig" for the rest of us.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

I would start off the x pipe and pulley before doing the exhaust.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

The quality of the X-Pipe merge, will directly effect the sound. Placement close to the cat, and towards the back as the XKR-S system is positioned will effect it as well.

I'm in the process of building a fixture for the 06-09 setups now, after I finish this up I will be doing the 10-15 setup mid-pipe. If I can locate a mid-pipe locally to measure out, I'll start on it sooner.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

mosesbotbol (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

The quality of the X-Pipe merge, will directly effect the sound. Placement close to the cat, and towards the back as the XKR-S system is positioned will effect it as well.

I'm in the process of building a fixture for the 06-09 setups now, after I finish this up I will be doing the 10-15 setup mid-pipe. If I can locate a mid-pipe locally to measure out, I'll start on it sooner.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
I could be interested in your findings and the production......
Happy Trails.....

Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll post a video this weekend sometime of my custom exhaust I built. I just modified the stock rear box and did my own 2.5" cat-back piping. I'm also back on the stock cats for now, although they are modified as well

Edit: it's got a sound I love, but I'm looking for louder. Hoping when I build my high flow cats it will increase the volume

Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,167 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Regards,
Derek Fricke
Derek,

Because this thread now includes several topics, I think your X-Pipe project needs a home of it's own. So...

I suggest you start 2 new threads, the first: "Crossover X-Pipe for the 4.2L engine" and the second: "Crossover X-Pipe for the 5.0L engine", to measure owner interest and start a waiting list. Count me in on the 4.2L. I'm eagerly awaiting your progress reports.

Stuart

FrickenJag (07-26-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 899 Posts

Regarding the sound of my XK, I also have the ETG tune which may well affect the sound of the exhaust. You should also know that there are subtle cracks and pops when decelerating or applying a very slight amount of throttle, kind of like feathering it. I have Dyno'd the car since the modifications were made and the BHP is between 435 & 440 as opposed to a stock BHP of 375.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 PM
cpf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2009 XK with Mina exhaust. Low rumble on idle, loud on acceleration, quiet on the highway. In other words, perfect !

Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

2007 xkr with Elite RR rear box and one center box, nothing compares, if anyone fits a system you have to get your car tuned to match, makes a big difference to the performance.

Quick Reply: To all Mina Exhaust owners!