XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Am I asking too much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Am I asking too much?

My Jag is for sale and I wanted to know if you think the price is right.

XKR X150 2007, 70000mi, 2nd owner, never had a ding/scratch.

Mods:

EcuTG Supercharger Pulley
EcuTG ECU Reflash
Custom Dual Exhaust with Black Chrome Tips
Mags Giovanna Kilis F: 20x8.5 R: 20x10
H&R 15mm rear spacers
K&N High Performance Filters
Mina RS style Front Lip
Mina RS Side Skirts
Mina RS Rear Bumper
Nissan GT-R '09 Rear Wing

Asking $34000 CAD

Attached Thumbnails Am I asking too much?-_dsc0654.jpg   Am I asking too much?-_dsc0652.jpg   Am I asking too much?-_dsc0651.jpg   Am I asking too much?-img_20120908_134502.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I don't think you are asking too much.

Don't know what the market is like in Canada in terms of pricing, but here is US, i have seen 07 XKR with 65,000 miles on it for $30,000.

I have seen some up to $37,000 with 27,000 miles on it. Which is a really good deal.

The bigger problem is by having all those mods done to your car, you have limited yourself to a very, very small target market. Which may take a while to get rid of it.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

I 'just' purchased mine for about that amount... without the modifications.
Wish yours was on the market sooner... though it is the wrong colour;-)

Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Looks like your asking price is beyond a full dealer retail price. Even with the mods and upgrades, doubtful that you will get your $34,000.......

May be hard to move with the mods, however car does look nice. $30,000 looks much more realistic.

You need to price the car out on sites like NADA Home Page and Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values

These sites provide pricing that the automobile industry here in the USA uses on a regular basis. Canada may be different.

Your sale is considered a "private party sale" and in most cases the value is listed at $27,000 to $28,000. I know this may be a disappointment, but you need to address any sale with realistic pricing. At $34,000 I would think this car will be sitting in your garage or driveway for some time.

Check out the sites listed above and adjust your price. Be realistic.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't trust those websites too much. I have used them in the past, before selling vehicles and the numbers never match, whether you sell them privately or trade it in. My experience has been amplified numbers.....

Better off checking the car market, such as dealer websites, Autorader, cars.com etc. You will have something to compare it to as well.

Last edited by Executive; 09-10-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'd think you were pretty close.... $34K Canadian is about $31.5US
Like Executive, I'm clueless to the Canadian market.

We all know the mods have value only to you, not necessarily a buyer. In many cases mods detract from the value.

BOL

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Sorry can't help with the price, but as stated before and in more detail perhaps.....

From my point of view the red door mirrors would instantly on an otherwise great looking car, grab my attention and I'd want them changed, reflecting the price.

Bear in mind with mods, even though you may have paid $1000 for this and £3000 for that etc etc, you never ever get that money back.
Perhaps it may make it more saleable albeit to a more limited market.

Good luck

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Why are you selling your car...you seemed really into it. Good luck with the sale!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Executive
I wouldn't trust those websites too much. I have used them in the past, before selling vehicles and the numbers never match, whether you sell them privately or trade it in. My experience has been amplified numbers.....

Better off checking the car market, such as dealer websites, Autorader, cars.com etc. You will have something to compare it to as well.
Just about any automobile dealer can confirm the use of the NADA book. The NADA book is broken down into geographical regional locations and is updated monthly. It is one of the most reputable guides within the automobile industry as well as the Kelly Blue Book. In years past, an individual did not have access to the Nada guides unless you paid a fee for the subscription. With the advent of the internet, now the consumer has access to the same info as a dealer.

If the person who is trying to sell this Jaguar traded his Jaguar in, I am quite sure the dealer would offer close to the trade-in price as listed. Modifications which have been made on this Jaguar probably have no residual value. Therefore, when a car owner makes the modifications, in most instances those modifications are personal desires and personal styles, but are not recoverable as a cost when trying to sell the vehicle.

Autotrader.com usually has dealer inventory and are sold at dealer retail. The seller here would have to compare to a "Private Seller" on Autotrader.com. Dealers will always price the vehicle higher with the intent that they will have to entertain offers at a lower prices.

Perhaps the seller can keep us posted, but in my opinion he will not be able sell the car above a dealer retail price as shown in either Nada or KBB pricing, regardless if the car is in Canada or the USA. $34,000 Canadian equals $32,810 in US Dollars as of 9/10/2013. Regardless of the currency conversion, the car is still overpriced @ $34,000 CAD.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Going rates in Canada are as follows:
2007 Jaguar XKR **SOLD SOLD**
One of the many reasons cars are sourced from the States to Canada are the premium prices extended to the Canadian market... don't get me going. That being said, should you wish to be comparatively priced for the US market, drop ~15%.

You're fair priced.

Cheers.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Consumers know that an asking price is just that, and they will negotiate for what they think it is worth regardless of asking price. Someone that particularly likes the car and its modifications will pay a perceived premium for it, while others who prefer a stock car may not even consider it. You're looking for that one buyer who will appreciate the performance and uniqueness of your car, not what others have paid for bone stock cars. Ask what you like, and adjust asking price as required.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the replys. I have to sell the car due to changes in lifestyle. I hope to get another one someday. According to your opinions, I seem a little overpriced. I think I will gradually bring it down to 31-32K range and see how it goes. I'm not in a HUGE hurry to sell... btw most of the visual mods are reversible (black grills, fog corners, vents and rear lower diffuser are plastidip)(red mirrors or also plastidip)(front and rear tail lights are covered with tinted vinyl)(original wheels and body parts I have and could easily be put back)...

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

You'd have better luck with returning what you can to stock (if your initial offering goes unsold). Modded cars are a tough sell normally.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I don't think your mods detract from salability at all. Somebody who wants a stock car can buy a new or slightly used car anywhere. Somebody who is considering a car with 70k is lucky to find one in drivable condition, let alone flawless with such tasteful mods as yours.

Consider your audience--young people and mid-life crisis adults trying to look young. Your car is perfect for them.

Oh, your question was the price? I don't know about that. Seems about right to me. I would think NADA is just for the USA. Otherwise it would be IADA, n'est pas?

The following users liked this post:
djgold (09-11-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Just about any automobile dealer can confirm the use of the NADA book. The NADA book is broken down into geographical regional locations and is updated monthly. It is one of the most reputable guides within the automobile industry as well as the Kelly Blue Book. In years past, an individual did not have access to the Nada guides unless you paid a fee for the subscription. With the advent of the internet, now the consumer has access to the same info as a dealer.
My last car was 05 LS V8. It was a Sport with every option. New over $45000.

It had just about 100,000 miles on it before i sold it. I looked it up on Kelly Blue Book and they praised it over $8500 in perfect condition - if sold privately. They praised it over $6000 for a trade in.
I brought it to 2 Jaguar dealers, they wouldn't give over $3500 for it. I ended up selling it for $6500 as that's what they went for in the market - regardless of what KBB valued it at.

I have got bunch of cars praised on there, but they always give unrealistic numbers.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Executive
My last car was 05 LS V8. It was a Sport with every option. New over $45000.

It had just about 100,000 miles on it before i sold it. I looked it up on Kelly Blue Book and they praised it over $8500 in perfect condition - if sold privately. They praised it over $6000 for a trade in.
I brought it to 2 Jaguar dealers, they wouldn't give over $3500 for it. I ended up selling it for $6500 as that's what they went for in the market - regardless of what KBB valued it at.

I have got bunch of cars praised on there, but they always give unrealistic numbers.
Dealers always low ball trade-ins (that the nature of the business) .......they most likely would have given you the $3500 and sold it for the dealer retail or close to it @ $7000 to $8000. The dealerships have to make money in order to stay in business. Buying at $3500 they would have lots of room to deal on a price. You were smart NOT trading it for the $3500.00. Car dealerships are like Donald Trump...it's called "The Art of the Deal"

Keep in mind that "Private Party" sellers have a limited audience for sales vs. a car dealership who attracts more people to their lots. Your Jag for sale was a specialized vehicle and had to attract only one kind of buyer.

The NADA is the National Automobile Dealers Association, and a very strong and respected organization within the automobile industry. There can be no doubts about NADA.

If doubtful check out their website...

NADA Used Car Guide - The Industry's Most Accurate Vehicle Values

Anybody that is interested in cars, should know about the NADA, they have been around since 1933.

Happy car selling.

Last edited by richzak; 09-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice Jaguar.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

That's a summer car and summer is over. Prices don't go up in the spring, they go down in the fall. Also, personally I wouldn't buy one modified that much (delete rear spoiler, change back to smaller dia. wheels). I like my GTs comfortable and discreet. I mean, your car looks great just not for me.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default Canadian Market

I bought both of my XKR's in the US. The selection in the US is so much better and the market is more competitive. Your car is worth a lot more in Canada than it is in the US. your car is worth around 15-20% more in Canada. All non NAFA cars imported into Canada have a 6.1% import duty. Also, the US $ is worth about 6% more than the Canadian $. When I was selling my 175 the market was about 70K in the US and about 84K in Canada.

People will not like the high mileage and the mods. Personally I don't like the GT-R rear spoiler on the it. I think it makes it look like a "ricer" car. People looking for a used Jaguar normally look for clean stock cars. All in all you may have it priced right.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You almost NEVER get back the cost of mods and accessories on a modded car. Edmunds.com just took a bath on the Lexus GS350 they had in their long-term fleet. It had a bunch of factory options that the Edmunds staff liked/wanted, but the used market shrugged and said "Meh". 2013 Lexus GS 350 Long-Term Road Test - New Updates

IMHO there are a few things holding back your sale. The blackout parts at the front are an acquired taste and I'm afraid the red mirrors are not going to fly with 99.9% of buyers. As for the body kit I do not know. Personally I'm not a fan but I know plenty who are into that kind of thing. One more thing, the interior colour is more sports car than classic Jag. I passed on an excellent CPO XK at Gaudin because it had a monochrome interior.

Last edited by agentorange; 09-13-2013 at 11:34 PM.