XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Any Ferrari California Owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Any Ferrari California Owners here?

I was just on a conference call and scanning ebay to pass the time. And I started looking at the 2010-2014 Ferrari Californias out there. A couple of things struck me:
1) How many used ones there are for sale: 2 times as many as same year XK and XKR's.
2) How beautiful they are in pictures...no doubt about that
3) How expensive they are
4) How short their warranty is 2 years 24,000???
5) they really are not that great in the performance spec department. Not even in the same league with the XKR. Certainly not in the XKR-S league.

So if there are any present or ex Ferrari California owners in here. Can you shed a little light on the Cali? Why so many for sale? Does Ferrari make more Californias than Jaguar makes XKR's? What is the appeal? Is the high price tag worth it?

Probably never going to have the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) to own one of these beautiful machines. So I'll live vicariously through others.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

A friend just sold his and moved to Porsche after owning 3 Ferraris. Apparently got tired of his experience with the elitist (or is it arrogant?) attitude of his local dealer. He has some funny but also aggravating stories about that. Like a lot of Ferrari owners he did not put many miles on his cars. The service history and associated costs are pretty interesting on many of those cars. I saw one on eBay that was on its 3rd transmission in not very many miles.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

There was a very insightful article written a couple years ago that pretty much spells out owning a super exotic car. Where do you drive them? You don't take them to the market, or out to a bar unless you can sit in front of it wand watch it otherwise it can easily get vandalized. You wouldn't do a longer road trip like LA to Vegas or further as they are simply not that comfortable nor would you want to waste that rubber and wear on droning miles. They are made for tracks or fun canyon runs but is that really feasible for something that costs that much to run/repair/insure? Kind of "eyes are bigger than your stomach" situation once someone gets one they get bored and realize it wasn't such a great idea.

Also regarding the warranty Ferrari does offer a 12 year warranty however that is on the drive train which is rarely an issue, their interiors/leather are well known to have big issues, so did their clutches which ran a small fortune (same with Lambo's). Just the annual service makes a sphincter clinch tightly. As far as California's go, most buy Ferrari's for their perceived high performance that one just didn't fit that mold.

Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment

Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

It will be a solid car if you can drive over 7K a year miles on her.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I didn't test drive one when I had the opportunity, so I can't chime in with personal experience.

I do know the people who did really loved the transmission and how it worked.

I think the used value of a Ferrari is controlled by a mix collector factor(if low miles), or how much time that model needs in the shop for a driver. If a non collector Ferrari is holding its value, it most be *as* problem ridden as other cars.

The Ferrari 348 tanked to below $30k last I looked and is now one of the cheapest Ferrari's, largely due to issues with materials and build quality causing very expensive engine repairs to pop up.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I test drove a California after I got my xkr to see if I made the right choice. Needless to say I was very happy when I got back in my Jag. The Cali sounds like a Ferrari but the looks are just too bulky. In performance it has good low end acceleration but the xkr will pull continuously at any speed.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

I've heard in order to buy a high end (new) Ferrari you had to already be a Ferrari owner. I believe the California is the cheapest one to get you "in the club". Buy a Cali, the ghost of Enzo approves and you may now purchase your F12. When you get it you sell the Cali. The Jag is exotic as I'd ever get. Repair/maintenance costs skyrocket beyond this car. But if you have the dosh...

Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I wanted to go back to a manual transmission for my "fun" car or I would've kept the XK. Ferrari nor Maserati is offering a manual. I can see why Ferrari doesn't, but Maserati should.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Ferrari dealer tries to convince you that you need to own or buy a used Ferrari before you can buy a new one. After awhile I got a call that he would sell me a new Ferrari right off the bat. Just a sales gimmick.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
Just a sales gimmick.
One I'll never have to worry about! LOL!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
The Ferrari dealer tries to convince you that you need to own or buy a used Ferrari before you can buy a new one. After awhile I got a call that he would sell me a new Ferrari right off the bat. Just a sales gimmick.

Having come from that world some of it is true. Usually the previous owners get 1st choice on new release models and from previous history with low volume builds they were sold out before they were shipped. If there are left overs uncommitted then they go to the 1st come buyers. I remember the 360 release and you needed to show evidence of ownership before you were put on the list and even then there was no guaranty of getting one.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ferrari = Marketing Extraordinaire

Old 03-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

save your money. the xkr convertible is a far prettier car than the Ferrari California. the jag is elegant, sexy and quite strong...a heavyweight prize fighter that will knock you out wearing a velvet glove

the Ferrari is quite strong and certainly has many of the latest and greatest technologies incorporated in its build...but...it is heinous looking if you ask me. Ferrari took the design in house and jettisoned pininfarina. mistake!

I am a long time Ferrari owner and I am actually incensed that they chose to call that design disaster the "California" as if to pay tribute to the 250 California of the 60's.

resale value for the new California will be a good example of a race to the bottom. they will never be collectable and will not age well either.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
It will be a solid car if you can drive over 7K a year miles on her.
I can barely do that in my daily driver.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

That Jalopnik article does point out the obvious, that the Ferrari is not a car to actually use in the way most average car enthusiasts would want. Besides not being practical to drive to work, or the mall or dinner or on vacation. A point A to point A car. I live in an affluent city and the Bay Area has a lot of affluent people but I wouldn't want to draw that much attention. I went to look at an Aston Martin 2002 DB7 and while it was attainable at 25k I really wondered how much I could actually use it. As car enthusiasts we tend to worry about our cars more than might be healthy. I don't know if that much anxiety would be worth it. A young person affluent enough to own a car like a newer Ferrari is probably very busy with their career and wouldn't have a lot of free time to plan these special road outings. An older middle aged guy is usually still working hard and busy with all kinds of spousal and family activities. Sure most people will have several cars but in my case driving to work was my alone time to enjoy my hobby car and listen to my music. Didn't Hemmingway write "the rich are not like us". Maybe he was right and these cars are best enjoyed by the favored few.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I believe it was fitzgerald...

Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Yes, you are correct, but the substance of my comment remains the same. For most of us less affluent folk the purchase of an upper end car, even used, is a great financial strain. The ownership experience really doesn't mesh well with our lifestyle. There are too many compromises and sacrifices to be made. Dealing with older Jaguar models also requires work and sacrifice but at a lower cost. I believe we should enjoy our hobby at whatever level we are comfortable at.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Exactly, wonder if the masses know that a Jaguar outperforms the California in every specification, including looks. The reliability and ability to actually take it on a road trip seals the deal for the savvy buyer who chooses understated substance over overstated superficiality.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I was just watching the Velocity channel on a auction show maybe a year old but they just had a 1991 Ferrari TR with 25K miles on it. I was also looking at these cars before I bought the Jag but as an old Fcar owner my concern was for the service. Although I did all of my Fcar service and even did my V12 XJS service the TR V12 is another issue. Well to make a long story short it ended up being sold for $45,500. Great looking car and it appeared to be a good driver but down the road there are big $ signs.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I was just watching the Velocity channel on a auction show maybe a year old but they just had a 1991 Ferrari TR with 25K miles on it. I was also looking at these cars before I bought the Jag but as an old Fcar owner my concern was for the service. Although I did all of my Fcar service and even did my V12 XJS service the TR V12 is another issue. Well to make a long story short it ended up being sold for $45,500. Great looking car and it appeared to be a good driver but down the road there are big $ signs.
Its the same with private jets, they practically give them away in comparison to what you will pay for yearly ownership. FAA rules, you have to replace the engines every so many hours no matter what condition they are in.