XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Any XKR owners in the Detroit area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any XKR owners in the Detroit area?

It looks like we might be moving to the Detroit, MI area. My XKR is my daily driver. Not certain that will be possible up north. I currently live in the Atlanta, GA area, so pretty much zero snow. Can anyone share their experiences?
Thanks
Timmah!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Greetings Timmah.

Im from the Toronto area which is only about a 4 hour drive east of Detroit. I drive my XK daily including winter. While I make every effort to avoid snow days, I find that as long as you have a good set of winter tires you should be fine. I have Bridgestone Blizzaks, LM60s I believe and find them to perform very well in snow and ice. Keep in mind with any rear wheel drive car you need to be a little more careful than you would in a front wheel or AWD car. You shouldnt have any problem provided you are careful and drive conservatively. Since you are from GA, it may take you a while to get used to it.

The following users liked this post:
Timmah! (11-03-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an XKR and backed it out of the driveway in the winter and got stuck. I park mine November to April. Most days you will be fine but there a lot of them you won't go anywhere. Good Luck.
I lived in Atlanta when I was in my 20s and loved the area but missed Michigan and all the lakes.

Timmah! (11-03-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Tires are everything. I am in Detroit area, although have not driven the jag yet I have had many performace cars, vetts etc.

Blizzaks would be ideal in winter, but you can't use year around and I'm not about to do tire swaps twice a year.

I am going to switch to conti DWS6 soon, have them on my SRT now.

You won't go through deep snow obviously but once they plow you can get around.

Timmah! (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 05:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input. It's looking like Grand Rapids is where we will end up. If I keep my XKR, Blizzaks will be mounted up for sure. Debating a Quaife LSD - if it would help.
I'm also looking at other possibilities like the A3 Quattro, MB CLA250 4Matic, Volvo S60 T5 and BMW 320i XDrive.
This issue is one of the lesser at hand. However, driving a nice car is one of the few ways I treat myself.