Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody tried EBC Redstuff brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Anybody tried EBC Redstuff brake pads

I understand they pretty much eliminate the brake dust issue and stop well. The only other thing I've been told (By EBC) is that they don't squeak. Has anybody had experience with these pads?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I've been using them since about 2006.

I had them on my 2002 XKR, my wife's VDP, and I will be putting them on my 07 XKR when it needs new pads.

They stop really well, they do not squeal, and greatly reduce brake dust (for me). I have read others post and say they suck. This has not been my experience, and I have used at least 4 sets of redstuff pads over the years in different cars.

When I put them on my wife's VDP and she drove it for the first time she pressed on the brake pedal as she was used to and stopped fairly quickly. She had to adjust her use of the brakes.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (11-10-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

whats the part number because i can't find any where that sells them in the uk

Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

rsculto,
Thanks. I think I'll give them a try.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Dave,
According to EBC, the part numbers for a 2007 XK are:

DP31911C -Front
DP31749C- Rear

davewhitt (11-10-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will likely be using them in my 03 XKR, as I have used them on other sports cars I have owned and think they are a great quality product.

Joe Z

Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them installed on my XF and they work pretty well. I installed them with cross drilled and slotted rotors. Unfortunately they do squeal and squeak pretty loud when driving in the city. Especially the rears. Hopefully this goes away soon after I break them in as I have only driven 600 miles but it is slightly annoying. Overall I like the feel of them, but wish they were alot more quiet.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Used them on my Lexus IS350.... better than OEM is about all I can say. I wouldn't choose to go back unless they were my only option..... Which if your on a budget is about all there is.... Wish Hawk would get the XK on the list....grrrr

Personally, I'll get the Porterfield R4-S when its time...

Vince

Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 AM

I installed them on my XF and think they're great. There was probably about a ~1K to 2K break in time where they were squealing, but once broken in they are no-noise and stop very well. Biggest upsides are much less dust and much longer life span. My factory breaks lasted to ~12K miles or so; the red stuffs have lasted so far ~15K miles and are still in good condition.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried them, but not on a Jag. I noticed a consiberable degradation in stopping power with cold brakes and didn't buy them again.

Better have dust and all the stopping power available when you need it. It might just make the difference.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Since you are in FL, go to Advance Auto. Buy their "Gold" level ceramic brake pads, pay less money, be perfectly satisfied and be done with it.

This business of premium pricing, based solely on expensive add campaigns, will vacuum up your bank account and not give you a wit of extra performance.

There must be somebody who does objective testing of brake pads. Anybody have a web site to recommend?

apost8n8 (11-17-2014)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

My father (who enjoyed fast cars on the windy roads of the Riviera in the 50s and 60s) always preferred to know the brakes were working optimally... because of the squeal ;-) FWIW.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

We need a sticky on XK replacement brake pads. I really want to change my OEM's, but not sure which one yet. On VDP, Akebono's hands down, but not available on XK

Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by dutch07xk
I tried them, but not on a Jag. I noticed a consiberable degradation in stopping power with cold brakes and didn't buy them again.

Better have dust and all the stopping power available when you need it. It might just make the difference.
All brakes work better when warmed to operating temp. Ive used EBC reds on everything I own for years and now that they came out with SUV yellows for my truck I switch those out too. Stopping distances on all my vehicles was considerably shorter as measured by GTech meter. Plus Ive never had them fade on heavy braking which is a huge plus on the freeway when traffic suddenly comes to a standstill and your doing 70. Or when I tow with the truck. Ive never had them squeek and have found over the years that pads that tend to squeek are from a drivers braking style creating glazing of the surfaces. Case in point is my ex would drive my Jag with brakes that never squeek for me, and in a week they squeel like crazy. Her BMW brakes always squeeked until I would drive it for awhile. I would follow her at times to work and it was brake light brake light brake light. while I hadnt even touched mine yet. I just leave room and take my foot off the gas to slow. And when I needed to brake I brake. Now same vehicle, same brakes, differant drivers and differant results Explain that...by far the greatest number of complaints I get about brake squeel are from female drivers...

GrtShrk (11-13-2014)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

"Whats best" is an imposable question to answer without knowing your driving habits. There is no "One pad does it all" answer.

Some food for thought if I may...........

Friction coefficient, a number we love to toss about because we can all grasp "higher is better", is relative to only to the pads "optimal" temperature range, and that number declines the further up or down from that point your pad temps travel.

Modulation is more easily related to consistency of pedal pressure. When in the proper temperature range for a given pad, knowing "exactly" how much pressure to apply for "exactly" how long, is a sign of a quality compound doing "exactly" what it was formulated to do. If you find you have to add or back off peddle pressure in mid braking, then your pads are telling you something. Your are dropping off the pads optimum temperature curve, and having to compensate for it.

So now what you should see is a pad, with a temperature curve. Optimal at one point, but fades away on either side. Typical compounds actually broaden that "optimal" temp out a bit to give you a more flattened top to that curve(say +/- 100 degrees), but.... the drop off on either side tends to be sharper. Modulation works well in that flat spot.

My point?

We should buy pads looking at that flat topped curve.... If your an around town driver, low temp pads are your preference. An aggressive driver, or owner of a heavy vehicle (BTW the Jag IS a heavy vehicle) would bump the temp range up a bit to cover more of their needs. Track day cars obviously work at the high end of the scale and may even have a dedicated set of pads as it is nearly imposable to get a compound with that broad a temp range (they exist to a degree but come with high dust issues). What temp you run your pads should dictate what ones you buy. Pads that bite when cold, tend to fad quickly with aggressive driving. Pads that bite with glowing rotors tend to scare you backing out of your driveway on a frosty January morning.

Almost all OEM pads cater to the cold side, as general driving safety is their concern. If your an aggressive driver then you are not their problem and if you die they are confident your death certificate will be accompanied by some newspaper artical about your high speed antics... Legal issues resolve...

Pads like EBC Redstuff take that curve and move it up the temp scale. Not by a lot (because yes, they still fade like a son of a gun on aggressive drives), but enough to help some drivers fine-tune the temp range to their driving habits. Folks down South can easily move upscale without issues and may in fact be hurting yourself with cold OEM temp pads. Those in the North may want to ponder it a bit more.

Keep in mind that regardless of your choice, it really isn't just the pads that stop you. Monster gripping brakes when mated to 100,000 mile (ie hard rubber) tires are a waste of time and money. It's ALWAYS your tire that has the final say in how fast you stop.

my
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Default EBC Brake Squeal

I e-mailed EBC in UK regarding break-in squeal. They shipped me Part # ASK-1 Noise Reduction Shims with 3M 468MP adhesive tape for mounting on the back-side of pads... Has anyone used these ?, I've heard of guys using duct tape as well.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

EBC Greenstuff brake pads were the best I've ever had, and this was on a 4400# Chevy Caprice with cross-drilled rotors. When the time comes, I'm going to get EBC pads on the Jag, no question.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I just got new fronts and got akebonos. My back wheels are black and my fronts are still (relatively) shiny after just a week or so of driving. I'm impressed.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I used the yellow stuff pads on my 97 with no squeaking. Found them to be an incredibly quiet and quick stopping pad. Didn't go red on that one but maybe I will on the 07. Great pads, use them on the wife's charger too.

EBC yellow stuff with the dimpled and slotted EBC rotors. As far as cleanliness goes, they still get dirty in the front but less than the jag pads.

I know my current setup squeaks, not sure if it's stock or not but they look new so when they go, EBC here I come.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have had good experience with ebec reds and greens . I have also had good experience with akebono ceramic pads. When the time comes I'll look for a ceramic replacement because I don't want to put up with the black brake dust. Also being a local around town drive with some highway driving I can use a softer compound pad. As for brake squeal my understanding is the cause is vibration between the pad backer plate and the caliper piston. If you have metal to metal without either a bonding agent or brake grease you will get squeal. It has nothing to do with whether the brakes are working good or not. Most of the newer pads have a backer "shim" which is usually non-metallic. This acts as an insulator and prevents the squeal. My advice is to do your homework and determine how you drive and what type of pad you need.

Quick Reply: Anybody tried EBC Redstuff brake pads