XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?

Apparently I can 'chip' my '10 XK and will result in a horse power gain. Dont have all the figures and details yet, but thought Id see if anyone else on here has done it and can offer any suggestions or advice.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by GGG; 02-02-2018 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Arland Green (12-23-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I did not have my 2012 "chipped". I did have the computer re- tuned by ECU Tuning Group out of Beverly Hills about ten days ago. The car seems faster and the exhaust has more authoritative sound than before. ECU also told me that I would get better gas mileage. Doesn't seem to be much better, but maybe I'm driving more aggressively.

The way it works is that your engine data is sent into ECU and then after the information has been absorbed by their computers new data is fed into your on-board computer and the vehicle adapts to the new tuning over the next 105 miles.

ECU will give members of the Forum a discount off their regular price if you tell them that you are a Forum member. You can find them listed in the vendor section under their name. Good luck.

Chaos236 (04-24-2013)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Does anyone know if this (chipping) can void the manufactures Select Edition warranty? Or, for that matter, extended warranties in general?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:40 AM

Good Q Dave,

I'm looking into that myself. ...i kinda suspect that it will, but keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if you have found the place to do it..(Dubai / Abu Dhabi) let me know.. lets see if I can do it to my '07 XK as well

Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 AM

Will do!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM
C-J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also interested in remapping / chipping my 07 4.2 v8.

What sort of gains are to be expected?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C-J
I'm also interested in remapping / chipping my 07 4.2 v8.

What sort of gains are to be expected?
Per Danny Martin of DRM Motorworx in Charlotte, NC (http://www.drmmotorworx.com), regarding the naturally aspirated 4.2 V8:

With the 4.2 ECU performance program, it is a uniquely calibrated software that delivers improved throttle response along with increased power throughout the entire RPM range. The software is specifically tuned for a variety of factors; different fuel, climate, and hardware. The changes allow us to achieve overall gains of an estimated 25+HP and 26+TQ (on 93 octane).

A few of the other major benefits from the software upgrade include; speed limiter removal, better fuel economy, and a reduction in hesitation and flat spots. The ECU's stock program is read via the OBD2 port, followed by the performance software being written back into the ECU the same way without a trace of the process. Backed by many hours of development and testing, there's an amazing improvement in drivability while still maintaining its factory reliability.

I am very interested in this tune and will likely have it done (although no definite time frame has been set), along with my Mercedes. Once I do, I will post my impressions. I plan to dyno my cars first.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Does anyone know if this (chipping) can void the manufactures Select Edition warranty? Or, for that matter, extended warranties in general?
Yes it will (if they detect a change) and it should rightfully so. Some marques like Mercedes offer factory backed tuning, but not Jaguar as of now.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts
Default Anyone ever 'chip' there XK?

Yes I have the 4.2l and have had the tune taken place on my vehicle as I have used Jeremy from oetuning previously on my ml63 , cayenne and e550 it was a no brainer to use him again for the big cat . First impression is the torque has defitnitely increased it can spin the tyres from 4000rpm onwards in 1st gear extremely easily now , mind you I have 20" 285 on the rear so I would say a good 30hp would be gained from his tune . Next step for me will most likely be the 200cell cats apart from that there isn't a huge amount mods we can perform

Big Otter (09-26-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I would be a bit of a skeptic regarding claims of 25 hp ish gains for a normally aspirated 4.2L. if someone could show me a legitimate dyno sheet supporting that for an xk, I would re-map my own ecu but until then I will remain a skeptic.

MarkyUK (02-14-2019)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
I would be a bit of a skeptic regarding claims of 25 hp ish gains for a normally aspirated 4.2L. if someone could show me a legitimate dyno sheet supporting that for an xk, I would re-map my own ecu but until then I will remain a skeptic.
I wouldn't be a bit skeptic, i have my 4.2 xkr done twice by Black Code remapping, and it is a bullet, i never had it on a dyno as i seen to many bad videos so that's a no go. 25hp i would say is an understatement, mine has had the top pulley done, exhaust system and mapped twice and the power is unreal., way above 25hp gain i would say. Is is neck wrenching through the gears and throttle response is amazing. Did cannonball ireland few weeks ago and i blitzed every 5.0 xkr there, left them so embarrassed , there also was on f-type r which was left by the waste side too. Not bad for a 2007 car.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?-100.jpg   Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?-033-2-.jpg   Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?-035-2-.jpg   Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?-jag1.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The gains one would expect from a supercharged 4.2 and a NASP 4.2L are going to be different via remapping. Can't really compare the two.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Without pre/post dynos numbers it's all subject to the butt dyno bias factor anyway.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian D
The gains one would expect from a supercharged 4.2 and a NASP 4.2L are going to be different via remapping. Can't really compare the two.
this...

I would never doubt the re-mapping claims where hp is gained in a blown (turbocharged or supercharged engine) but I keep my doubts in a normally aspirated lump.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chipping a NA XK

Hi,
I am also a doubter and would not bother, Jaguar have spent MANY hours to come up with the best overall tune for performance, driveability, emissions and mpg.
A remap with some intake and exhaust mods "might" get you 25-30hp, but they would all be hiding at high rpm, full throttle near redline, and how often do you go there.
I am very happy with 300hp, enough to get me into all kinds of trouble; if you want / need more then the "R" model is waiting... with all kinds of extra TORQUE, which is what you "feel". (Torque is measured on a dyno, HP is calculated from T & rpm, high HP NA engines always have good torque at high rpm, VVT helps some, but there really is no free lunch)
Modding a SC or Turbo is sooo much easier...
Regards to all
Trevor T
2007 XK dhc

Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by qcktvr
Hi,
I am also a doubter and would not bother, Jaguar have spent MANY hours to come up with the best overall tune for performance, driveability, emissions and mpg.
A remap with some intake and exhaust mods "might" get you 25-30hp, but they would all be hiding at high rpm, full throttle near redline, and how often do you go there.
I am very happy with 300hp, enough to get me into all kinds of trouble; if you want / need more then the "R" model is waiting... with all kinds of extra TORQUE, which is what you "feel". (Torque is measured on a dyno, HP is calculated from T & rpm, high HP NA engines always have good torque at high rpm, VVT helps some, but there really is no free lunch)
Modding a SC or Turbo is sooo much easier...
Regards to all
Trevor T
2007 XK dhc
While gains are much smaller NAvsSC, they are there. IMO though may not justify the $$/hp gain. BUT your first statement is very untrue, think bean counters, insurance, EPA, Warranty cost, etc, There is ALWAYS more left on the table and the factory palate is a COMPROMISE of many factors when it leaves. Speaking to many factory engineers over the years from different makes, this is ALWAYS their statements. I even think back to when Volvo eneering brought a suv prototype diesel here to Houston for hot weather testing and the engineer said currently they were getting upwards of 50-55mpg out of a cobled together system that was totally NOT emmissions compliate for US market or finalized my any meens. To which he followed up with by the time the beauracracies finish and if it hits the market that number would be closer to 30-35mpg!! So theres ALWAYS more of everything left to achieve. Now fast forward to our CURRENT news with VW

Last edited by Brutal; 10-01-2015 at 09:18 AM.
ralphwg (10-04-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 AM

I agree with TrevorT about the OEM choosing the best all round tune. Yes. there's HP left on the table as Brutal says but usually just a few crumbs. No massive gains without serious compromise.

qcktvr (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you Mikey,
"Very untrue" is a very strong statement though... So I didn't mention reliability, but hardly an issue when the same basic motor survives being "blown".
I have a 4.2l 40v Audi, 310hp, the same/similar motor is 330/340hp in some models and up to 420hp in the RS4 and R8, the differences though are more than the mapping in the ECU..
Life is full of compromises, and that is certainly true of tuning IC engines.
Not sure what "Tech Certified" implies, I am still learning about my XK, but am more than qualified / experienced to make valid comments about general engine and engineering concepts, maybe I could even write a book (or two)..
The original poster clearly has little idea about engines and this thread likely has not helped him much..
Anyway, when I want more power I will buy a more powerful R model, or AMG SL, or.. When I want to scare myself out comes the old Suzuki 1150...
Opinion or fact??
Maybe I shouldn't make comments on this forum??
Bye for now

Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by qcktvr
Maybe I shouldn't make comments on this forum??
Very much the opposite- discussion and opinions are always welcome.

Go Blue Jays!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever 'chip' their XK?