XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have paint protection film wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by elindo
My guy didn't use a template and it turned out wonderful on my 2007 XK coupe.
Hi Elindo, who did yours and which film? Has it been worth it? Can you see any of the edges and did he manage to tuck neatly into the voids?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Yes, moved from London proper. Times were real bad under Maggie, if she had only warned us about the dementia before she made decisions that affected us all.

Have your headlights done while you are at it, it far more important than the paint, if you crack your lens its a grand a piece and more.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing the headlights with a slight tint film ( Xpel , Lamin-x etc... ) but been reading that the film leads to cracks and small lines in the headlights on a lot of cars. One of my headlights looks brand new, while the other one looks a tad older, and could use a quick restoration, but hate having the UV layer removed as a result too

Old 05-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by myexcursion
I've been kicking around the idea of doing the headlights with a slight tint film ( Xpel , Lamin-x etc... ) but been reading that the film leads to cracks and small lines in the headlights on a lot of cars. One of my headlights looks brand new, while the other one looks a tad older, and could use a quick restoration, but hate having the UV layer removed as a result too
Guy you are overthinking this one. There is no UV layer, polish away and apply film.

The best way to get a mirror smooth surface is to use very good compound, as another member here mentioned; meguirs 205, foam pad. it will take a while but it will be like new.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

FWIW, doing the half hood is not as bad looking as you'd think. I had it that way on the Evora and was tough to tell, and up close just did not look like compromise or something. If you mask the seams when waxing, it's not much of a time killer while removing wax. Actually after a few details, it's pretty easy to remove the wax along the lines. Actually may cut down the total detail time since it's just clay/nano mitt & then wax. No sealer is needed of the film protected areas.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Guy you are overthinking this one. There is no UV layer, polish away and apply film.

The best way to get a mirror smooth surface is to use very good compound, as another member here mentioned; meguirs 205, foam pad. it will take a while but it will be like new.
On my Lotus there was some kind of UV or something layer on the headlights. Not sure the correct term, but you clearly see it with polarized glasses. Don't recall seeing in on the XK's lenses... Which on my XK remained in perfect condition through the life of the car. The whole front end was really great at avoiding stone chips actually.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

When I purchased my 2010 XK with 4,800 miles over 3 years ago, before I drove it around the block I had my clear bra installed over the front bumper. I went with the same product I have used in the past on all my G35's (Coupe and Sedan). 3M Suntek which is warrantied for 5 years. No orange peel. If you look very close you can see a slight color difference between the bumper and the hood, but I had the same thing on my White G35. My car is Silver. This is nothing to me in comparison to nasty paint chips! I'm taking into consideration the the bumper is plastic and the hood is aluminum and this is to be expected. I'm very happy with the product. One major thing to be considered. The installer is probably more important than the product purchased. I have used my installer for almost 14 years for all my cars.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I have suntek on my car and could not be happier with the look and the protection. I did the front fascia, entire hood, a pillars, rockers, mirrors, and behind the rear wheels. I would not leave home without it. clear films have come a long way since the early days!!

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (05-30-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Hi guys,
car is in today having a bespoke wrap of Xpel ultimate covering the front bumper. Found a place just over an hour away willing to do without the crap template!
Fingers crossed. Will try and post some pics when done.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

I bought my 2008 xkr with the film installed, now has 79k mi, entire front end, headlights, fenders, entire hood is covered Because of the film the front of the car is like new and is nearly flawless ,its difficult to find a single chip.. I think the owner before me paid around 3k for it.

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by AlexJag
I bought my 2008 xkr with the film installed, now has 79k mi, entire front end, headlights, fenders, entire hood is covered Because of the film the front of the car is like new and is nearly flawless ,its difficult to find a single chip.. I think the owner before me paid around 3k for it.
Sounds good! Unfortunately mine has the odd chip that will probably show through the film but it's not bad enough to warrant a respray. I guess at least it should stop there. Just difficult getting a flawless installation as I don't want to see it has film on. Will see if happy tonight when I pick it up!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Swisstone
Sounds good! Unfortunately mine has the odd chip that will probably show through the film but it's not bad enough to warrant a respray. I guess at least it should stop there. Just difficult getting a flawless installation as I don't want to see it has film on. Will see if happy tonight when I pick it up!
when you get her back, let it sit in the sun for a day or so...there is a dry and cure time for this product. I think you will be very happy you did this. a flawless xk is a thing to behold as an owner and a passer by.

they are real beauties!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 AM

Just got car back and can't say I happy!
Anyone else have a join like pic 7?
This is my second attempt as the first place said the template was bad and it had two big joiThis second place said they would do a bespoke job that had no big join in full view and guess what, it has! That was the manager and the fitter said it was impossible? Anyone got no join?
I was also told these bubbles would dry out. It was been in full hot sun now for two days and although some have dried out, the others I think are air bubbles so I doubt will go? To top it off, he has put a knife cut into one sensor! Wondering to get it all taken off again? Problem is I have paid them unfortunately grrrr.

Last edited by Swisstone; 06-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

I hate to tell you, but maybe third time's the charm? That's definitely not the best wrap job. Some of those bubbles may still go away in time, but they definitely shouldn't just be wrapping over the parking sensors like that since it'll just be an inevitable permanent bubble. Flaws may just be more noticeable on a dark car, but on my lunar grey, I couldn't detect anything like what you have pictured. I think my guy used a template (Llumar), but the fit was as good as I could have expected. The cuts around the hood vents, parking sensors, and headlight washers are all perfect. I do have two small vertical seams, but they are in fairly inconspicuous places - along the bottom of the two chrome intakes on each corner - rather than anywhere around the center grills. You might want to take yours to a couple of other shops and see if you can get one to guarantee a better application. Then if the first one's at all reputable, maybe they'll give you some sort of refund.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have paint protection film wrap?-jag.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
I hate to tell you, but maybe third time's the charm? That's definitely not the best wrap job. Some of those bubbles may still go away in time, but they definitely shouldn't just be wrapping over the parking sensors like that since it'll just be an inevitable permanent bubble. Flaws may just be more noticeable on a dark car, but on my lunar grey, I couldn't detect anything like what you have pictured. I think my guy used a template (Llumar), but the fit was as good as I could have expected. The cuts around the hood vents, parking sensors, and headlight washers are all perfect. I do have two small vertical seams, but they are in fairly inconspicuous places - along the bottom of the two chrome intakes on each corner - rather than anywhere around the center grills. You might want to take yours to a couple of other shops and see if you can get one to guarantee a better application. Then if the first one's at all reputable, maybe they'll give you some sort of refund.
Hi, I would have been happy if the small joins where in the same place as yours but it's the fact that it's smack in view as well as the other issues. They didn't film over the sensors but it's a free hand cut around and when I assume he skipped and cut into one?
has yours also got two big relief 'darts' either side of the oval mouth? Mine are a whole thumb size and make you think that lacquer is missing. The bottom lip is also only half wrapped so stones will still chip the edge closer to the road.
Yours is the newer shape and the templates might have got a lot better then. My template wasn't good and that's why they said a bespoke fit but then you get freehand cuts so can't win either way!
loosing the will now and prob best to just get it taken off?
They are lunar and Xpel approved but not many places are doing it within a reasonable distance and most just offer the same crap template.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
BTW, your car looks lovely! Nice colour as well!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 AM

swiss,

I am sorry you are having difficulty. the pictures you posted are not acceptable. I am not a fan of expel as it is not as pliable as the suntek produck my car was nearly perfect from the day I picked up the car after install. it is very important to have an installer that has done xk's in the past. the nose and hood can be a bit tricky.

where are you located? I will ping my Ferrari club friends to see where they go to have the clear bra installed?

I had mine installed several years ago and it still looks perfect. I hope we can get you through this!

best,

pcb

Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ferraripete
swiss,

I am sorry you are having difficulty. the pictures you posted are not acceptable. I am not a fan of expel as it is not as pliable as the suntek produck my car was nearly perfect from the day I picked up the car after install. it is very important to have an installer that has done xk's in the past. the nose and hood can be a bit tricky.

where are you located? I will ping my Ferrari club friends to see where they go to have the clear bra installed?

I had mine installed several years ago and it still looks perfect. I hope we can get you through this!

best,

pcb
Thanks PCB,
they have just agreed today to remove the film and give me a refund. I saw ferraris that they have done and as newer cars are more angular, they seem a much better job. They had a Ferrari they had just finished in there and that looked great.
im in East Yorkshire and the could of places I have tried were about an hour away and were Xpel and suntek approved installers.
As you say, it's not an easy shape on the XK and the templates available are crap.
Thinking its prob worth just having a respray when needed and cheaper to?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Di they hose the parking sensor?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Why dont you use those blokes I posted a link for.
Call them up, ask them who their best installer is.
The seam was exactly where its supposed to be.
And yes that too would have improved with passing of time.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:09 AM

Why dont you use those blokes I posted a link for.
Call them up, ask them who their best installer is.
The seam was exactly where its supposed to be.
And yes that too would have improved with passing of time.
It went from bad to worse! 😂
They took the film off on Friday and on removing the film, they found that they had put in some cut marks! Tried to polish out and burnt through the paint!! Can't make it up eh.
Thankfully, they agreed to pay for a re-paint and gave me a refund so can't complain as they did the right thing and owned up to the gaff.
in going to settle for new bumper paint to make like new and probable opt for a ceramic coating at some point instead.

can anyone advise how easy the bumper is to remove so I get a good paint job rather than masking off on the car?