Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone here have this issue ?Verts Only

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Anyone here have this issue ?Verts Only

Noticed this when picking up the car at the dealership from service today; got the tires replaced and the brake issue attended to and I'll write a seperate post about the results.

It appears the rubber moulding is deformed on the driver's side, I can't believe I never noticed this before picking up the car today unless something happended at the dealership? This section of moulding is all one piece going all around the upper and sides of the windshield, but only ill fitting on one side.

The guys in service are all trying very hard to help correct my car's initial flaws and I hope these flaws will finally come to an end soon. I need to get this winshield moulding corrected and the rattle in the driver rear area corrected to finally cap off an ever growing list of initial qulaity problems; hopefully this will be it for a long while.

What do you guys think caused the rubber to get like this? Anyone here notice this before? Drivers side picture on left and passenger side on right, I tried pushing the moulding to fit better but there is no extra play in it at all. This looks like crap and can't possibly be normal fit and finish.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Anyone here have this issue ?Verts Only-027.jpg   Anyone here have this issue ?Verts Only-028.jpg  

Last edited by RJC; 04-02-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think this is an area where few, if any, of us ever look at. I know I haven't, until now. My car is almost 4 years old and just turned 30,000 miles and I give the top a real workout. Although I drive it only on nice days, I usually put the top down and put it back up whenever I park. So it goes up and down at least 3-4 times each day.

I just looked at those seals and they fit perfectly on both sides, with no gap between sections.

Your car simply isn't right, and your dealer should fix it under warranty.

I thought you might be interested in illustrations of the top mechanism, which I copied from JaguarParts.com.

The parts in question are 13 and 14, Front Seal Right and Rear Seal Right, respectively. The same parts are on the left side but are not shown. List price is around $60 each.

See this link: JaguarParts.com :: Original parts for your Jaguar Click the Select Make dropdown arrow and select Jaguar; Select the year (2011), and Select the Model (XK). Under Categories, click Convertible/SoftTop. Then click on Convertible Top to bring up the price list. Next, click on View Illustrations. I was floored to see the list price of the black convertible top assembly: $15,125!!!

I recommend that everyone bookmark the above website, since it a very useful research tool including illustrations and prices. It isn't the complete parts book, but its a good start.

Hope this helps. Let us know what your dealer says.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
RJC (04-03-2012), Thebeachatnight (04-06-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 AM
RJC

Stuart your are an asset here, thank you.

I think the part that i need goes in front of #13 and fits around the top and sides of the windscreen; it looks as if it's #6 here, but on my car this weatherstrip extends from the windshield's A pillar back to where I showed the gap in the pics conecting to part #13 that you mentioned.The illistration below may be for a coupe.

I've enclosed a pic of the suspect part; wish it was #13 as it would be so much easier to install, #6 looks like a big job where the entire weather seal going around the windscreen needs to be replaced.

Taking the car back to the dealership tomorrow to get this rectified. Funny thing is I don't remember this being a problem before I dropped off the car today for the new rotors.

This car's quirks are really getting annoying and troublesome. This might just be my last attempt at getting this car straightened out as I don't have the health or patience to be going back and forth to the dealership 4x's in 700 miles of ownership.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone here have this issue ?Verts Only-011.jpg  

Last edited by RJC; 04-03-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

@RJC, Man you're not having much luck with your '12 XKR vert. The fact that it was sitting on the dealer's lot for so long might have been your first clue ;-) The only problem I've had that required bringing the car back to the dealer was to replace the AM/FM antenna amp assembly.

Mike

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
RJC

Hi Mike,

Had no idea the car sat for so long until after I got it, as my dealer had to locate the car from another dealership out of the area, I was just happy it was the color combo and wheels I wanted and it only had 8 miles on it. The tires are replaced and the brakes are fixed so is the exhaust squeak. Just have to get this other stuff sorted but my patience is wearing thin, very thin.

Last edited by RJC; 04-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

One hopes that a defect like this occurred/materialised only after the Car was off the assembly line. Otherwise you visualize a factory full of former British Leyland communist workers antagonized with anyone having the money to buy their product.
Forgive me RJC, I was starting to think you were a hypochondriac relative to your car till I saw this one.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
RJC

Hey THC,

Hardly, but a discerning individual that expects things to function/appear properly as designed, let alone on a $110,000.00 car.

I'm at the dealership now and we discovered that 80% of the 2012 verts have the defective weather seal and only affecting the drivers side. We checked the used car lot too and found the 07-09's were all perfect on both sides; there were no 11's there. So it appears whomever Jag/TaTa is now having produce this part is out of spec/defective.

We also discovered my drivers side headlight assembly was not fitted correctly at the factory as it was sticking up by about half an inch.

Last edited by RJC; 04-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.