XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone retrofitted a power tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Anyone retrofitted a power tailgate?

Did a forum/google search but nothing.

Ask as the F-type has it and has a smaller boot/trunk, so logic denotes you'd be putting less in it than an XK. Am guessing no one has but on this side of the pond it rains a fair bit and when am out shopping it's a pain to have to put the bags down to open the tailgate fully, not only that but I then have to put bags with soggy bottoms into the car

Life would be easier...sigh

I know I'm just being lazy, but if anyone knows of a reasonably priced aftermarket solution then please post up

Last edited by MarkyUK; 12-24-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I've often thought about it in the past, and while we're at it, can we get a rear glass windshield wiper too?

Old 12-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
I've often thought about it in the past, and while we're at it, can we get a rear glass windshield wiper too?
I get around 60% more rain than you do in LA

When I had my car paint corrected and ceramic sealed in Oct, I had all of the glass nano protected with Gtechniq G1 Clearvision Smart Glass, as reviewed here:

The Best Rain Repellent for Windshields in 2018

No issues whatsoever and have to use the wipers half as much as on other untreated car glass, because the rear is so raked there's hardly any on it in heavy rain on the rear when in motion.

Last edited by MarkyUK; 12-24-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: googled rainfall
Old 12-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Rear wiper? no way man! Keep it looking sleek, and ceramic coat your glass. Power gate? Cmon!!! No one wants to lift a finger these days. I suppose lifting the hatch requires some effort, but it wont ruin this international appearance of wealth, which is to look as if you perform no physical activities. The servants and machines do that stuff... haha. Ya’ll just keep lining them up for me! Lift some weights, and the gate will get lighter. I promise.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brewtech

No one wants to lift a finger these days. I suppose lifting the hatch requires some effort, but it wont ruin this international appearance of wealth, which is to look as if you perform no physical activities. The servants and machines do that stuff... haha. Ya’ll just keep lining them up for me! Lift some weights, and the gate will get lighter. I promise.
Will you quit with the gym references all the time, and stop generalising about everyone else physical fitness!? I go twice a day on weekdays and once at weekends as well as using weights at home. Plus going to the gym and actually working out are two different things, I have a strict regime and my phone doesn't even know where the gym is...whereas half the 'gym goers' seem there to catch up on social media, post selfies or chat...based on the number of them I have to ask to get off the machines when they've been sitting their for 5 minutes doing nothing but tapping on their phones, and weirdly they seem offended that I'd even ask! Am guessing you're probably one of those gym warriors...and see you got me generalising now....grrr!

So please try not to mention physical activity in your next 10 posts...you know you can do it...and if you manage it you will get to step 1 in your recovery

Last edited by MarkyUK; 12-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Yeah, I agree with Marky and Brew, no contraptions on the back.

Besides, if the glass is kept nice and clean and nano-coated, ceramic-coated or waxed well, water will shed right off it.

Dunno about a power lift....... XKs aren't really built for shopping trips...

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I think those that want it have ctek connectors under the lift?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
And an F-Type is (which is why I mentioned at the start)??

Only my son and I do buy for so is fine, but appreciate if you have multiple wives and children it may be a bit cramped

Old 12-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Will you quit with the gym references all the time, and stop generalising about everyone else physical fitness!? I go twice a day on weekdays and once at weekends as well as using weights at home. Plus going to the gym and actually working out are two different things, I have a strict regime and my phone doesn't even know where the gym is...whereas half the 'gym goers' seem there to catch up on social media, post selfies or chat...based on the number of them I have to ask to get off the machines when they've been sitting their for 5 minutes doing nothing but tapping on their phones, and weirdly they seem offended that I'd even ask! Am guessing you're probably one of those gym warriors...and see you got me generalising now....grrr!

So please try not to mention physical activity in your next 10 posts...you know you can do it...and if you manage it you will get to step 1 in your recovery
No worries, I dont take offense to that kinda stuff,Sorry that you have to deal with millenials, and the likes of them. I feel the same way. The difference is that when I ask them to give up a machine. They suddenly have only one set left to do. I never get weird looks, mainly cuz I have an intimidating mug👹. My recovery will not be in becoming an out of shape guy holding his girlfriends purse, outside of Victorias Secret. Im invited into the dressing room instead. This is not about going to the gym. Its about the weakness that runs through the minds of some luxury car owners, and I call it out. Power gate😏 you crack me up

Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Only my son and I do buy for so is fine, but appreciate if you have multiple wives and children it may be a bit cramped
Don't tell my wives about any of my girlfriends, they may get upset.
And, all the kids are grown and out. Now I'm stuck with 74 grand kids and 155 great grand kids. That PLUS all the kids of the Girl Friends.
Christmas is murder around here, I always end up renting a stadium.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Hmm, I've never noticed this.

When I get my new battery I'll have to check.

It seems like all it takes is bump unlock, and bump up. No "lifting" required, just a nudge, and it goes.

Could be condition of hatch struts.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Back glass stays clear above 40 mph, actually drys off at 50. One of the cooler features on the car.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Do you guys drive in the rain? Don't these cars melt if hit by water. Another myth squashed.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:33 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do you guys drive in the rain? Don't these cars melt if hit by water. Another myth squashed.
They're designed in England! Plenty of water around here, mate!
Pedantically, I think they'd dissolve rather than melt.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

And an F-Type is (which is why I mentioned at the start)??

I use my F-Type for grocery shopping -no problem at all -but it isn't the convertible; The coupe holds plenty. I only have one wife, though.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

The XK wouldve been more versatile if the rear seats would have been foldable. I appreciate the hatch whenever I do use it, and it makes working inside the car bearable on warm days. Most of my shopping is taken care of by the women of the house, but having a cavernous cargo area wouldve opened up the interior a whole bunch.

Last edited by Brewtech; 12-24-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

The reason I mentioned a wiper for the rear hatch glass is not for rain as we only get about 5 days per year in Los Angeles, but for fog and mist on the window so that you can't look out of it. The electric defroster takes too much more time than a simple wiper would, but somehow I've managed to put 150,000 miles on my car without it, I'll suffer onwards.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member

I hear ya Tberg! Its noticeable on the cold months here in LA. If you park in your own driveway, you can put a towel over your the hatch window over night. In the morning take it off and hang it so that you can use it the following night. Its how I kept Ice from forming when I lived up north. I might start doing that again.

Last edited by Brewtech; 12-25-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

Repost

Last edited by Brewtech; 12-25-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

You don't get muscles from clicking the automatic boot button

Attached Thumbnails Anyone retrofitted a power tailgate?-screenshot_2018-12-23-17-51-06%7E2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone retrofitted a power tailgate?