Sponsored by: DashLynx

bad news....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default bad news....

Hey guys,
Thursday took my '08 XKR in for MD inspection. I received a call from my service adviser, whom I've known since '03. They found a cracked rim. Ugh!
Although it can be repaired to knew condition, Maryland inspection stipulates no welded rims, in so many words.
The bottom line is I need a rim, the retail for these are outrageous. These are have a satin finish. see pic.....
Anyone have an extra...not cracked LOL!

Attached Thumbnails bad news....-satin-finish-cremona-rims.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Yes, the Jaguar OEM rims are "extemely expensive". Depending on what it cost to replace the broken rim with a new one, you may want to consider a whole set of new "aftermarket" rims.

Take a look at Coventry Wheels as they are part of the TSW family, they are made for the Jaguar brand and they have a few selection that look very nice and cost is around $1200 to $1400 for a complete set.

I took off my OEM Selena wheels and replaced them with a set of aftermarket (Braelin) wheels, and I get so many complements. Cost was only about $1400. These were customed milled to my exact specs to filt the 20" and the Alcon brake system.

I packed up the OEM Selenas in the wheel boxes from the Bralein's and have stored them if ever needed for a wheel replacement or when the Jaguar is sold or traded off, the OEM wheels would be available.

I suspect a new or refurbished Cremona wheel will cost in the $400 to $600 range. I would not have a welded wheel on my car, especially aluminum. The person who does the welding has to have experience in the welding of aluminum. Safety first, especially if it is a long crack.

Check out my aftermarket wheels in my photos attached in my signature.

Last edited by richzak; 06-13-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hey guys,
Thursday took my '08 XKR in for MD inspection. I received a call from my service adviser, whom I've known since '03. They found a cracked rim. Ugh!
Although it can be repaired to knew condition, Maryland inspection stipulates no welded rims, in so many words.
The bottom line is I need a rim, the retail for these are outrageous. These are have a satin finish. see pic.....
Anyone have an extra...not cracked LOL!
Where is it cracked and is it a total crack or a short crack. Is it external or inside the rim area. Usually repairs are as good as new and if done correctly you can see them externally. I find it hard to believe they would take the wheels off to inspect them and I would bet if repaired no one could tell. I would discuss with a wheel repair guy before sourcing a new rim as some have an exchange program.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I would go buy a set of 4 rims like Maxima has.

Loth

Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Those come up on e-bay every so often. I think the seller is World of Wheels and/or USA Rim - refurbished OEM rims. Might be worth a look

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Install the spare for the purposes of the state inspection while the cracked wheel is off being fixed.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Sorry to hear the news...
This is yet another joy of 20" rims.... easy damage.......

I would not repair a cracked rim myself. Although welding skills do exist that can restore nearly all the serviceability, those skills are highly sought, and seldom found in a rim repair shop. Add mediocre welding to a highly stressed rim is asking for problems.

2cents

Old 06-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Yes, the Jaguar OEM rims are "extemely expensive". Depending on what it cost to replace the broken rim with a new one, you may want to consider a whole set of new "aftermarket" rims.

Take a look at Coventry Wheels as they are part of the TSW family, they are made for the Jaguar brand and they have a few selection that look very nice and cost is around $1200 to $1400 for a complete set.

I took off my OEM Selena wheels and replaced them with a set of aftermarket (Braelin) wheels, and I get so many complements. Cost was only about $1400. These were customed milled to my exact specs to filt the 20" and the Alcon brake system.

I packed up the OEM Selenas in the wheel boxes from the Bralein's and have stored them if ever needed for a wheel replacement or when the Jaguar is sold or traded off, the OEM wheels would be available.

I suspect a new or refurbished Cremona wheel will cost in the $400 to $600 range. I would not have a welded wheel on my car, especially aluminum. The person who does the welding has to have experience in the welding of aluminum. Safety first, especially if it is a long crack.

Check out my aftermarket wheels in my photos attached in my signature.
Hi Rich and thanks for your comments. The dealer quoted $1100 for a chrome Cremona. Then the chrome would have to be removed and painted to color match. This makes the aftermarket idea a better choice based on your numbers. Unless I can find a good used rim for half the cost of a new.
What information would I need to talk to a Coventry tech regarding having a set made to my specs? Is it a spec aside of the given Cremona specs. BTW, I too have the ALCON calipers & rotors.

As far as welded cracks, I've had one on my XJR for a number of years. Obviously, the person does need to be certified in the metals were looking at here.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Red rider, I thought in Maryland you only need one inspection (when you purchase the car) and it's good for life. Did you just buy the car? If so, I believe the seller has an obligation to replace the wheel. If not legally required, it would just be good business practice!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just my thoughts and experience on wheel repair.A reputable repair company has expertise in welding all types of wheels. This is their business and any shoddy workmanship will not only hurt their reputation but leaves them open to liabilities. The Ferrari community uses a selection of these customers to straighten/weld and refinish a lot of their NLA wheels. I had a 14" wheel repaired and it looked better then new. You could not see the weld and it was so good I had to send them the other 3 wheels just for a strip and re-spray. In this case I would put on the spare and have the OEM wheel fixed. The other option would be to go this way or call them to see if they refinish painted rims. Exchange Set of 4 New Chrome 20" Jaguar XK XKR Factory Wheels Rims 59825 | eBay

Old 06-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Ken:

Here's a list of Coventry Wheel dealers in your area...

Coventry – Jaguar Wheels, Custom Wheels for Jaguar, Chrome Jaguar Wheels, Silver Jaguar Wheels

Here's a link to the Coventry Wheels website.....

Jaguar Wheels by Coventry. Custom X-type wheels, S-Type wheels, XF wheels, XJ wheels, XK wheels

I am not sure of your wheel offsets but I know they are
5x108MM Bolt Pattern, 63.4MM Centerbore. As for the offsets, I had to go slightly different from OEM sizing on the my old Selena's due to the oversized Alcon calipers and rotors.

I have the 6 piston caliber on the front, with 400mm rotors, and 4 piston Alcon calipers and a 350mm rotor on the rear.

I went 25mm offset in the rear and 35mm offset in the front on the Braelin Wheels.

http://www.braelin.ca/

On the Coventry you may need the following:

20x8.5 rim....5/108MM Bolt Pattern....42mm Offset.....63.4 centerbore.... 1/4 Lip

20x10 rim...5/108MM Bolt Pattern....45mm offset...63.4 CB...2.75 Lip

With my Jaguar and Alcon's, the Coventry rear 45mm offset did not fit. I needed a deeper offset due to the Alcon's. So I had to send the set of wheels back to Coventry, which the dealer did. I did not incur any costs for the improper fitment.

Bottom line...you can get a "great" set of aftermarket wheels for $1200 to $1400 per set.

Here' the link to my story on the Braelins....if interested....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...-brand-112076/

Hope this info is helpful for you.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Red rider, I thought in Maryland you only need one inspection (when you purchase the car) and it's good for life. Did you just buy the car? If so, I believe the seller has an obligation to replace the wheel. If not legally required, it would just be good business practice!
Hi
Yes, I purchase the car and before it can be tagged, MD requires an inspection of all safety related systems and is good until it's resold to a new owner or is over 25 years young. I've contacted the seller and is actively looking for a replacement, as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just my thoughts and experience on wheel repair.A reputable repair company has expertise in welding all types of wheels. This is their business and any shoddy workmanship will not only hurt their reputation but leaves them open to liabilities. The Ferrari community uses a selection of these customers to straighten/weld and refinish a lot of their NLA wheels. I had a 14" wheel repaired and it looked better then new. You could not see the weld and it was so good I had to send them the other 3 wheels just for a strip and re-spray. In this case I would put on the spare and have the OEM wheel fixed. The other option would be to go this way or call them to see if they refinish painted rims. Exchange Set of 4 New Chrome 20" Jaguar XK XKR Factory Wheels Rims 59825 | eBay
Ken:

The exchange company will mostly likely not take the damaged rim that has been welded or cracked.

Do you have a spare? On my 2009 XKR with Alcons, there was NO spare tire that was normal size or the donut size. The car came with an inflator kit as the normal spare would NOT fit in the trunk wheel well.

The exchange is a viable idea if you can get them to take the damaged wheel towards an exchange price. Cost about $900 and there are many exchange vendors in the east coast demographics.

Be sure ask about warranties. The exchanged wheels are only as good the chrome or replating work completed. You don't want chrome chipping off the wheels after buying and mounting them without some kind of 1 to 3 year warranty.

One other thought. If you end up with new or exchanged wheel rims, consider buying new TPMS for the wheels ( $180 to $200 for a set of 4). Your TPMS would be 7 -8 years old, as my guess says that your 2008 Jag may have been manufacturered in late 2007 (look on the inside of drivers side door). It would be wise to install new TPMS that will last another 7 to 9 years as estimated.

Let us know how you make out on this ordeal.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

ebay is full of cheap Jaguar refurbished wheels.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Yup.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Are they any good? I'm debating whether or not to have my wheels refinished for $800 or just get one that's already been refinished for about the same price.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, it looks like they are still pretty darn expensive on eBay!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Actually, it looks like they are still pretty darn expensive on eBay!
Yes they are:

Set of 4 New Chrome 20" Jaguar XF "Cremona" Factory Wheels Rims 59825 | eBay

Read disclaimer on welded wheels: Exchange Set of 4 New Chrome 20" Jaguar XF Cremona Factory Wheels Rims 59825 | eBay

IMO: A new set of aftermarket wheels appears to be the best solution to overcoming this situation. Appears Ken will have a hard time finding a "exchange vendor" that will take the cracked rim or a repaired rim via welding. The exchange company would have implied liabilty knowingly selling a refurbished exchange wheel tha was previously cracked or welded.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Ken:

Here's a list of Coventry Wheel dealers in your area...

Coventry – Jaguar Wheels, Custom Wheels for Jaguar, Chrome Jaguar Wheels, Silver Jaguar Wheels

Here's a link to the Coventry Wheels website.....

Jaguar Wheels by Coventry. Custom X-type wheels, S-Type wheels, XF wheels, XJ wheels, XK wheels

I am not sure of your wheel offsets but I know they are
5x108MM Bolt Pattern, 63.4MM Centerbore. As for the offsets, I had to go slightly different from OEM sizing on the my old Selena's due to the oversized Alcon calipers and rotors.

I have the 6 piston caliber on the front, with 400mm rotors, and 4 piston Alcon calipers and a 350mm rotor on the rear.

I went 25mm offset in the rear and 35mm offset in the front on the Braelin Wheels.

http://www.braelin.ca/

On the Coventry you may need the following:

20x8.5 rim....5/108MM Bolt Pattern....42mm Offset.....63.4 centerbore.... 1/4 Lip

20x10 rim...5/108MM Bolt Pattern....45mm offset...63.4 CB...2.75 Lip

With my Jaguar and Alcon's, the Coventry rear 45mm offset did not fit. I needed a deeper offset due to the Alcon's. So I had to send the set of wheels back to Coventry, which the dealer did. I did not incur any costs for the improper fitment.

Bottom line...you can get a "great" set of aftermarket wheels for $1200 to $1400 per set.

Here' the link to my story on the Braelins....if interested....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...-brand-112076/

Hope this info is helpful for you.
Yes, very helpful. I'm looking at the Brailin wheels. As I have the Alcon package, as well, what was your rear offset? I'm looking at their site.

Thanks!
Ken

Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Yes, very helpful. I'm looking at the Brailin wheels. As I have the Alcon package, as well, what was your rear offset? I'm looking at their site.

Thanks!
Ken
My front was 35mm offset and rear 25mm due to the extra large size of the Alcon brake system exclusive and only on the 2009 which was different from the 2008 Alcon system.

The 2009 has 6 piston Alcon calipers in front and 4 piston in the rear. In additon the 2009 had 350mm rotors and 400mm rotors the largest that Jaguar ever had on an XKR. Our 2009 Alcon brake system was a $5000 option because of the size.

I am sure that your 2008 Alcon system was different from ours thus making it easy for you to secure aftermarket wheels.

Which Braelin model are you looking at? BR01, BR02, BR03, BR04 or BRO5?

Quick Reply: bad news....