XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best tires...what do u roll on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the problems with living in a small island nation (with an industrial dispute at one of our major ports) is finding a brand which has both front and rear sizes in the country. My 08 portfolio just wore out it's factory fitted Dunlops.

Dunlop only had the front size, Michelin only had the rear size, Vredestein: nothing even close so I had to go with Pirelli P-zeros.

First impression is that they're much quieter but the ride seems a bit firmer. As long as the grip in the wet is better than the Dunlops I'll be happy. And, being assymetric I can swap the left/right wheels more easily to even out the wear.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted a reasonably priced tire for my 98 XK8 because I only drive about 2,500 miles per year. I ended up buying the cheapest I found because they also had a pretty good rating on TireRack.com - General EXCLAIM UHP. I paid $149.95 apiece in 2009.
I don't race or drive like an idiot, but I've been entirely satisfied with them.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Well I doded it. I ordered a set if Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires for my 07 XK. It takes 245/45x18 on the front and 275/40x18 on the rear. Yes, that rear size is what the car left the factory with. Some tire suppliers warn that Jag has been known to vary that rear size within a model year.

The car has always had Continental Sport Contact 2 tires high perf Summer tires and they have given good service. But-- they are just a touch noisy, due perhaps to worn condition and uneven front ware and they only last 15,000 miles. No steering wheel shake and just a hint of seat vibration.

The new Contis will be Extreme Contact DWS high perf all season tires. My objective is less noise, better ware and improved traction when I go North in the Winter. I would have gone Michelin but the price was eye opening, the Contis were just notch below in the ratings and they have given the aforementioned good service.

I'll be back in 2 weeks to report on the results. For $938 out the door at Tire Kingdom, I think I got a reasonable deal (1 yr no interest credit plan and a $50 gift credit card) and one can only hope for the best.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Well I doded it. I ordered a set if Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires for my 07 XK. It takes 245/45x18 on the front and 275/40x18 on the rear. Yes, that rear size is what the car left the factory with. Some tire suppliers warn that Jag has been known to vary that rear size within a model year.
Interesting choice for your location... Whats your typical temps in the winter (How often tdo you see below freezing temps)? How bout annual rainfall?

The DWS is well respected up here in the north for those that want an All Season, but I find it an odd choice for someone living so far south. The DW would have probably served you better for only $30 more.

I think you'll enjoy the DWS, but in your heat they will probably wear faster than you like.

BOL
Vince

Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Vince,

One of the reasons I went with the DWS is because I drive North 2 or 3 times each Winter and I remember well being stuck in a perfectly flat ice covered parking lot in VA with Summer performance tires. They were perfect hockey pucks at 20 degrees.

The main thing, however, is that all season tires are quieter and stay that way longer and that is a high priority for me. I understand this is counterintuitive. The reasons are not perfectly clear to me but the literature speaks of harmonic frequency cancellation designed into the tread pattern, more compliant side walls, etc, etc. Don't hold me to any of this science. I just know it's in there and works for drivers who want quiet and comfort at the expence of grip in 1.5+ G corners.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well I have to report the damndest thing. I left my 07 XJ at the tire dealer to install a set Conti Extreme Contact DWS All Season tires. When I returned they had installed Conti Extreme Contact DW Summer tires. Max consternation! Dealer error.They agreed to order in the correct Contis.

No can do. Conti DWS are on back order all over the country. They made me the following proposition:

1. They will order in a set of BF Goodrich All Seasons which are readily available.
2. They will install the Goodrich tires. If I like em - great. If I don't they will put the Contis back on.
3. They will sell me the extra set of tires, either Conti or Goodrich, for $200 ($50 each). They do this because company policy is once a tire is mounted it's "used" and they can't return them. No other XKs around to buy them.

FOLLOW THIS CLOSLY:

I'm going to have a nice set of 4 new (used) tires for sale in central FL in a few weeks. Size 245/45ZR18 front and 275/40ZR18 rear. Summer or All Season - I can't tell you yet.

I'm taking offers. Sorry but I can't be bothered with shipping them. You must come get em. A hell of a deal is going down here.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 02-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
I'm taking offers. Sorry but I can't be bothered with shipping them. You must come get em. A hell of a deal is going down.
Lemme see....46hrs drive, 3000 miles.... then back
Biggest problem? Carrying 4 tires inside the car.....
(sigh)

If I were you I'd keep both Contis, and buy a second set of rims. Swap as needed....

Dang wish I was closer......
BOL
Vince

Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone have experience with Nitto Invo tires? I want a tire that gives good performance and is quiet om my '07 XK. Quiet is very important to me.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Dunlop Sport Maxx's...terrible tires, overnight flat spots, noisy and out of round/balance issues.

Best tires bar none Michelin Pilots.

Last edited by RJC; 03-17-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by sorapp
Anyone have experience with Nitto Invo tires? I want a tire that gives good performance and is quiet om my '07 XK. Quiet is very important to me.
I ran Nitto 555's on my 02 XKR and they were outstanding

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a set of the new Pilot Super Sports installed. Ordered from Tire Rack. Pretty good deal compared to the other alternatives (also includes a $70 rebate card now). The tire wear is supposed to be improved over the PS2s and they even come with a tread life warranty. Visually, they appear to have more tread depth than my previous PS2s I've owned on other cars but not sure. So far so good. Replaced some Continental Exremes DWS that came with the car. MUCH better grip but seem to be slightly louder.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
RJC

Any vibration/shimmy issues?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Hearing good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Quiet, good performance, 45K mile tread life. About $300 more than for a set of Vredestein's.
Thats what I use. I love them.
They don't quite have the grip of PZero's but not so far off. Plus totally unlike PZeros they're close to perfect at noise, comfort etc and last about 4X as long, not to mention if it rains you can still actually stop instead of going surfing. Oh and they're cheaper.

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-19-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Thats what I use. I love them.
They don't quite have the grip of PZero's but not so far off. Plus totally unlike PZeros they're close to perfect at noise, comfort etc and last about 4X as long, not to mention if it rains you can still actually stop instead of going surfing. Oh and they're cheaper.
I was on the verge of trying these/and Michelin (Pilot Sport A/S Plus) again until I visited Hennessey Jaguar in ATL (Gwinnett). They swore up and down that they were noisy and I would not like the ride, said they had taken them off of two new XKR's.

That's when I went with the Vredesteins.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll chime in here with a plug for my tire of choice and after about 3k miles I am more than happy.

The Sumitimo HTR ZIII are quieter and much smoother than the Dunlops they replaced especially now temps on the east coast have risen to the 70's. I've noticed no difference in roadholding in either the wet or dry. If one checks Consumer reports they appear low in the rankings but consider the following:

1. On close scrutiny of the ratings they get very good for all categories except tread wear which is fair. Time will tell how that works out but no problems so far.
2. I doubt consumer reports tested these UHP Summer tires on 20's with a 30/35 aspect ratio so I dont put total faith in their scores
3. The Dunlop Maxx are rated 3rd overall and yet many on this blog have found them harsh and noisy.

For those on a budget $750 from tire rack is a deal v $2k for Michelin's. I have no experience of Michelin, Pirellis or other UHP's but if you check out other high end sport car blogs for MB's, Vettes etc. You'll find very favorable reviews of the Sumitomo's. I had them on my Infiniti G35 ansd they were great.

Anyhow my 2c.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 PM
RJC

Last time i checked the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are about $360 per tire in 20's for the XKR on the Tire Rack, the Dunlops are over $500.