XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Brake dust solution.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Brake dust solution.

There have been plenty of posts about the excessive brake dust from OEM pads. And perhaps my solution has been posted previously but here's something I just tested. After washing the XK and the S-Type and spending a lot of time on the wheels, which were black with brake dust, I tried a can of Armorall Wheel Protectant. I followed the directions and made sure the wheels were completely dry before spraying on the Armorall. I then let the cars sit for a couple hours. The next day I had to drive about 80 miles and the day after, a round trip from east coast to west coast of Florida, another 370 miles. When I got home, the wheels still looked great. To be safe, I rinsed them off with the hose but very little dust appeared to be in the runoff. I think the stuff works.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I tried it myself and have black spot coming out on the wheel due to the product??...i didn't continue then.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Is the idea of the protectorant that it will provide a more slippery surface to which the dust doesn't stick, because it obviously does not affect the amount of brake dust coming off of the pads. I have tried waxing my wheels to make them slicker, but it doesn't seem to affect the excessive amount of dust that comes off of the OEM pads. I just find that if I want clean looking wheels, I have to get out and wipe them every morning. P.I.T.A.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
T I tried a can of Armorall Wheel Protectant.
I tried that Armorall product on my wheels. It left white streaks, although I really tried to apply it as light as possible. It only lasts a little while and I still had to scrub the wheels to get them clean of brake dust.

I use other Armorall products but I think the folks at Armorall really missed the mark on this product. Total wast of time and money, IMHO.

For $7 per can (and it takes almost a whole can to do all four wheels) I decided to invest in some Akebono ceramic pads instead.
Vector

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (06-19-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

This is a not an issue with me. I haven't experience excessive dust. I get a bit on the inner rim of the wheels which I remove with a cleaning rod that looks like a large pipe cleaner.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
I tried that Armorall product on my wheels. It left white streaks, although I really tried to apply it as light as possible. It only lasts a little while and I still had to scrub the wheels to get them clean of brake dust.

I use other Armorall products but I think the folks at Armorall really missed the mark on this product. Total wast of time and money, IMHO.

For $7 per can (and it takes almost a whole can to do all four wheels) I decided to invest in some Akebono ceramic pads instead.
Vector
I don't want to hijack this thread, but wasn't there discussion on another thread about these causung some damage (or the like) to the rotors??

tnt

Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt10
I don't want to hijack this thread, but wasn't there discussion on another thread about these causung some damage (or the like) to the rotors??
tnt
Ceramic pads damaging the rotors? Never heard that one.

Maybe if you had carbon fiber rotors or something exotic like that, but I don't think you are going to be choosing your own pads on your Enzo.

Ceramic pads have been around for a long time for street and track use and Akebono Euro ceramics have been used by a lot of members with good results.
Vector

Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Ceramic pads have been around for a long time for street and track use and Akebono Euro ceramics have been used by a lot of members with good results.
Vector
Agree ^^

Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe if you had carbon fiber rotors or something exotic like that, but I don't think you are going to be choosing your own pads on your Enzo.

Vector
How will you rate braking compare to the original pads?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
How will you rate braking compare to the original pads?
Decent. Not as much initial bite, but after that very similar. No dust! Had the Akebono's on my VDP and would like to get on XK

jagxk2008 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Before I switched to ceramic pads (with good all around results) I used wheel protectant products with excellent results. Eagle One makes a good product (Keep clean Wheel) for one. I was able to do 16 wheels per bottle. If the stuff runs and produces spots you are using much too much.

I still use the products from time to time because it makes my "silver sparkle" wheels gleam like nothing else.

jagxk2008 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Decent. Not as much initial bite, but after that very similar. No dust! Had the Akebono's on my VDP and would like to get on XK
I am concerned cause I don't want say the brakes saved me once or twice already but yes they work excelent now and twice I was really a bit late and I appreciated their effects.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt10

tnt
According to Centric who sell both types, the ceramic pads result in more rotor wear and less stopping power.

jagxk2008 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
According to Centric who sell both types, the ceramic pads result in more rotor wear and less stopping power.
I guess they are saying what they want cause here they said ceramic are better on the rotors...
Which Are The Best Brake Pads - Ceramic vs. Metallic - EBC Performance Brakes & Rotors

With the confusion I will buy eagle one and wash my wheels...

but in case, which Akebono pads fits the xkr 2010?

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-29-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Being under the 2011 wear and tear warranty, the dealership told me they won't let me substitute pads and the free brake jobs require them to install factory pads. Bummer.

I've been using the armor all wheel spray, but the results, while better, are still bad. The rims look filthy after minimal driving, and I don't have a setup where I can easily get a hose on the rims to rinse them off...

I'm going to enact the ultimate sanction and plasti-dip the rims gloss black and see if that doesn't make the dust harder to notice A severe solution, but the dust KILLS ME with the quickness it accumulates. Never seen a car that generates so much dust that sticks so badly. Awful!

If the black rims look bad, I'll get some gasoline soaked rags and wipe the plasti-dip off. Good to know I can go back easily. Worth a shot I figure.

Skeeter

Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess they are saying what they want cause here they said ceramic are better on the rotors...
Which Are The Best Brake Pads - Ceramic vs. Metallic - EBC Performance Brakes & Rotors

With the confusion I will buy eagle one and wash my wheels...

but in case, which Akebono pads fits the xkr 2010?

Did you ever find an answer to this question, because I have yet to find it. I loved the Akebono ceramics on my 2004 XJR, and would like to use them on my 2010 XKR, but can't find them anywhere, including on Akebono's website...

Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Being under the 2011 wear and tear warranty, the dealership told me they won't let me substitute pads and the free brake jobs require them to install factory pads. Bummer.
Don't go to the dealer then to install the pads. Yes, there is a cost, but having the pads you want is worth a little $$.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Armour All product listed here with good results.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Brakes are wear items and something has to wear and cause friction otherwise you lose braking ability.

The harder your brake pads are, the more the rotors will be worn and gouged. Regular iron rotors will get more wear from ceramic or Kevlar impregnated pads (like the EBC Redstuff pads). Also harder pads don't have the cold braking ability or the regular street braking performance that the softer semi-metallic pads have, and one should be cognizant of this when driving.

I've found that since I painted most of my wheels black I don't see the brake dust a much...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Ceramics vs OEM

My recent experience is that ceramics can cause your rotors to warp. Perhaps it depends on the brand, but, Akebono does not make front pads for 2007 XK. I went with Wagner ceramics and half way through my pads the rotors warped. Not worth it to me for dust less wheels. Changed my rotors and went back to OEM pads. Just not worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Brake dust solution.