XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Brake Pad Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pad Advice Please

Can any of you recommend brake pads for track days in a standard XK?

I can find lots of options for the XK-Rs up through full race pads, but don't seem to find much for the standard XKs. Can standard pads hold up for track day use? The cars weight and speed makes me leery of how well standard street pads would do. I have done enough track driving to be quite sure I can keep the car working at 95%-99% of its potential.

The car has 50k miles on it so the pads definitely get refreshed before signing up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments on how the rest of the brake system holds up without ducting would also be most welcome.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Go to either or both Ebay and Amazon and you will find lots of brake pads there. Alternatively get in touch via the phone with one of tech people at Tire Rack. I have found them to be very informative and quite reliable.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jagdfan
Comments on how the rest of the brake system holds up without ducting would also be most welcome.
I'm not sure about the '12's but on my '07 XKR the belly pan below the front bumper does have a NACA style recess that pulls air from the pavement and directs it at the calipers. There's another on the engine belly pan for cooling the alternator (scoop to the left of the oil pan).

Pretty clever if you ask me.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

EBC should have a few options.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Change your brake fluid also if that has not been changed in the last year. Agreed on the EBC suggestion, they have any different compounds available. EBC Yellow stuff could be worth a try

Old 06-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. EBC is actually the brand I started out searching for and, I found the yellow stuff pads with the right EBC part numbers on Amazon, but they claim they won't fit. Tbh, Amazon is so wonky about product specifics I hesitate to order from them anyway. I may call Summit Racing or similar performance retailer and call them. Per the web sites nobody offers the front and rear in anything I recognize and trust.

Tire Rack has Akebonos that should fit, but Car and Driver almost totaled a car on one of their VIR test weeks because the Akebono pads suffered catastrophic fade with no warning. No thanks. They don't seem to carry EBC from what I see on their site.

Nice pic Ranchero. Sadly the plain old XK does not appear to have that air channel in the front undertray.

Agreed Mufc - brake flush is required before any track driving. The shop I used to have doing the service on my 911 was told to do a fluid flush because I was going to do a track day in a couple weeks. After my brake fluid boiled half way through the second session and they fessed up that they forgot about the fluid change. Never again - that was a very close call getting the car stopped without a wall or tree in the nose.

Anyway thanks again gents.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Did you try Pagid, Hawk, Ferodo and double check EBC Yellowstuff?