XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car wouldn't start, then ok!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Exclamation Car wouldn't start, then ok!

Before i start the battery is a new agm, and voltage is as normal . Allways on cteck charger at night. So ruleing this out,
So started car and went to collect my daughter from college. Lights on and wipers as raining. Hour and a half journey, stopped for fuel on the way, no start issues. Collected her, stop and start, no issues, went to her friends, stop start again no issues. Then about half a mile from home stopped again at our local store for some items. Came out, thought i had the car locked but when i pressed the fob to open nothing happened, was able to open the car door, but everything was locked, couldn't open boot, passenger door was able to open but windows wouldn't move so we sat in and left the doors slightly open in case we got locked in. If i pressed the lights button on the fob they worked on and off but nothing else. Inside nothing, pressed button and break, no go. Put the fob into the smart slot and still nothing, then the touch screen gave one flash, jag logo and off. There was no warning or lights flashing. Decided to go home for the spare fob, so left my daughter in the car. The 2 fobs had new batterys fitted on the first of january this year. So when i returned the car alarm was going on and off, was able to turn it off with the fob i've being using, my daughter said alarm went on and the touch screen came on when i was just gone abut 5 minutes. Car started , and everything ok. Came home checked agm battery and over 13 volts. Don't know what happened, have started it a few times since to see will it start. Everything turns on as it should, like touch screen when opening the doors or pressing the fob. Puzzled

I wonder is it a friday the 13th thing or the fact that i have reached the number of 666 in my posts.

Last edited by powerhouse; 02-13-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

If you have a reading device, you may want to check for any possible codes that may indicate a problem. It may also be a good idea to check battery connections.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

It does sound like an intermittent connection somewhere - as NBCat says, get the codes read to see if there's any clues. However, I would not be surprised to find there's a load of codes and they're pretty random, because low voltage (regardless of the cause) triggers all sorts of spurious errors, as you know.

powerhouse (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Sound advice from above. I would also check the main ground points and main feed points are clean and tight.

Jim

powerhouse (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, looked at battery connects and there good. Plugged in my OBD11 scan tool and no errors, gave the car a start and no trouble. Just one thing i just though of, was when i stopped the car on one occasion during my drive, when i pressed the stop button it didn't stop straight away, about 2 seconds till it turned off, maybe this means nothing. caring the 2 fobs at all times just in case.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I had a similar incident a few days ago. Used the car all morning, no problems. Stopped at a jobsite at an office building at which I'm doing some work. As I come out and am in a hurry to get to another appointment, I go to start the car and nothing happens, no clicking indicating a dead battery, no nav screen, no turnover. By this time I was cursing, and I go to the trunk, open it to start unloading a bunch of stuff there, so I can get to the battery, while the trunk is open, and since I was too late and lazy to clear my trunk to get to the battery, I decide to try to start it one more time, and this time it starts right up and has been fine ever since. Bizarre! Ghosts of Lucas past.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
I had a similar incident a few days ago. Used the car all morning, no problems. Stopped at a jobsite at an office building at which I'm doing some work. As I come out and am in a hurry to get to another appointment, I go to start the car and nothing happens, no clicking indicating a dead battery, no nav screen, no turnover. By this time I was cursing, and I go to the trunk, open it to start unloading a bunch of stuff there, so I can get to the battery, while the trunk is open, and since I was too late and lazy to clear my trunk to get to the battery, I decide to try to start it one more time, and this time it starts right up and has been fine ever since. Bizarre! Ghosts of Lucas past.
Yea, typical xk gremlins, have been driving today and no issues, it's part of these cars charm i think if i can call it that, other choice words i use from time to time are not for this forum, o we are very patient owners.