Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold draft from center counsel

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Cold draft from center counsel

Since I bought the car ('07 XKR) in cold weather I can feel a draft coming out the bottom of my center counsel. Makes me think possibly the center counsel was once removed? and not put back in correctly. Or there is a rubber boot that has possibly failed? Anyone else ever have this issue and if so did you find out where the draft was coming from?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

A cold draft from the center console - make mine a Coors!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Ian D (11-23-2016), ralphwg (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I'd have thought that if it wasnt sealed you'd feel heat coming through there once the engine warmed up, and there would be the burning odour from the engine/exhaust and much more noise. We had a volvo v40T5 CC which had some issue where it wasnt properly insulated, you'd nearly burn your leg on the centre console and the unleaded smell was unbearable if you gave it the boot.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I'd have thought that if it wasnt sealed you'd feel heat coming through there once the engine warmed up, and there would be the burning odour from the engine/exhaust and much more noise. We had a volvo v40T5 CC which had some issue where it wasnt properly insulated, you'd nearly burn your leg on the centre console and the unleaded smell was unbearable if you gave it the boot.
Agreed, and there's no air distribution in the center console, as opposed to an XJ. Shifting is electronic which may mean a grommet? As Bruce notes however, that would soon be replaced by hot air and fumes. The footwell vent isn't close either.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

No heat, there was a slight rotten egg smell when getting on it until I modified my cats. Still have a cold draft though, comes out the bottom of counsel where it meets the tunnel next to my leg. Wolf indicates she can still smell the exhaust but I have not noticed as much lately. It is for sure not the way it was designed. Hopeful somebody else has had this issue and can steer me in the right direction to resolve.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Sounds like you are getting air from underneath then? Perhaps someone got overly aggressive with the duckbill and removed it completely?

Seems this isn't something you will find without diving in and removing the center console.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Sounds like you are getting air from underneath then? Perhaps someone got overly aggressive with the duckbill and removed it completely?

Seems this isn't something you will find without diving in and removing the center console.
That sounds plausible. I cut mine off, and feel no draft. But if it were pulled out completely, that might be a different story (and would the condensate continue to drain out of the car?).