XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Top detail

Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Convertible Top detail

Anything special to keep the top water proof, looking good and keeping the trim flexable?

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Convertible Top Detail..........

Wash with soap and water.......rinse and rinse again to remove any soap residue......let the top dry.......then apply 303 Fabric Guard with a high quality 3" paint brush. Do not use the spray bottle. Simply pour the liquid into a plastic type food container. Brush on. If it foams up, wipe gently with microfiber cloth.

Brush on in 12-18" square sections. You may want to apply tape or towels around the top to make sure none gets on glass or paint. Apply liberally, don't try to stretch the product.

Be careful NOT to get any on the glass side windows, windshield and rear glass.

Let dry throughly.

When you wash the car, the water will bead up and just roll off.

This is some of the best convertible top protectant you can buy. I swear by the product. I will use nothing else. It will make the top look like new.

Follow these instructions and you will not be disappointed in any way. Print these instructions for further reference.

Available at Amazon

Amazon.com: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, 16 Oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, 16 Oz.: Automotive

Order 2 - 16 oz. bottles, one may not be enough. It's a $25.00 investment and DIY project.

Last edited by richzak; 02-13-2014 at 09:31 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by richzak:
07XKJaguar (03-12-2014), bobdr1 (02-13-2014), Johngflyer (03-17-2014), kj07xk (05-19-2016)
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I would like to know the same thing, thanks!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll second the 303 fabric guard. I also use their cleaner, rinse the top first, spray the cleaner on, let it sit, brush gently (I use a horsehair brush), then rinse off.

For stains, you can let the cleaner sit for a while.

I used to use the Raggtop line of cleaner and fabric guard, but found the 303 better.

You have to let the top dry completely before using the fabric guard. Water beads very nicely, and the top looks nice and dark.

Also 2nding the use of a brush...both brands come in spray on, but keeping the windows/paint clean is a pain.

The protectant seems to last about 6 mos for me, but the car sees limited use.

CT

Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm a Raggtop guy myself. Have used it for years and it has never let me down.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also a raggtopp guy... I prefer the pump spray over the aerosol. Use a horse hair shoe shine brush to get any dust or dirt out of the fabric prior to application.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by coast1ja
I'm also a raggtopp guy... I prefer the pump spray over the aerosol. Use a horse hair shoe shine brush to get any dust or dirt out of the fabric prior to application.
I used Raggtopp too. Great stuff. I used the aerosol without issue. Works great!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM
SWT
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the Jaguar dealer this weekend to see if they had a Jaguar product for the convertible top. Was told no, nothing they could find. I have a bottle of 303 protectant I purchased for my hot-tub cover. The sun is brutal here in El Paso and this stuff really worked on the hot-tub cover (which is vinyl). Not sure if it's the same product that richzak is mentioning in his post??? I see that you're in Las Cruces, just up the road from us a bit. Is the 303 fabric guard the same as the 303 protectant? The bottle says it may be used on car tonneau covers.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Regarding the 303 Aerospace product, under recommended applications, it specifies "vinyl tops, but does not say anything about fabric tops. This leaves a question in my mind as to weather or not it should be used on a fabric convertible top. I know that with the Raggtop product, there is one for vinyl and one for fabric.

Just something you may wish to clarify before proceeding.

SWT (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Regarding the 303 Aerospace product, under recommended applications, it specifies "vinyl tops, but does not say anything about fabric tops. This leaves a question in my mind as to weather or not it should be used on a fabric convertible top. I know that with the Raggtop product, there is one for vinyl and one for fabric.

Just something you may wish to clarify before proceeding.

I use the 303 Fabric Guard....not... the 303 Aerospace product.

Wash with soap and water.......rinse and rinse again to remove any soap residue......let the top dry.......then apply 303 Fabric Guard with a high quality 3" paint brush. Do not use the spray bottle. Simply pour the liquid into a plastic type food container. Brush on. If it foams up, wipe gently with microfiber cloth.

Brush on in 12-18" square sections. You may want to apply tape or towels around the top to make sure none gets on glass or paint. Apply liberally, don't try to stretch the product.

Be careful NOT to get any on the glass side windows, windshield and rear glass.

Let dry throughly.

When you wash the car, the water will bead up and just roll off.

This is some of the best convertible top protectant you can buy. I swear by the product. I will use nothing else. It will make the top look like new.

Follow these instructions and you will not be disappointed in any way. Print these instructions for further reference.

Available at Amazon

303 Products 30651 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant - 32 oz.

I also realize that RAGTOP is a popular product also. I have only used the 303 Fabric Guard which works AMAZINGLY well.

Last edited by richzak; 03-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
SoCal Babe (03-20-2014), SWT (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Richard, do you use the Aerospace product on your dash? I use it because its so easy to apply and it doesn't leave a shiny finish. I didn't even realize they made a fabric guard. I've used the 303 Aerospace on my boats for years to protect against the sun and it has worked great.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Richard, do you use the Aerospace product on your dash? I use it because its so easy to apply and it doesn't leave a shiny finish. I didn't even realize they made a fabric guard. I've used the 303 Aerospace on my boats for years to protect against the sun and it has worked great.
I use the Lexol leather products on my dash.......both the cleaner and conditioner. I buy it at Amazon.

I have an Amazon Prime account, so I don't pay shipping fees and the items are delivered in 2 days.

I find the Lexol product(s) have worked well for me, and they were recommended by another forum member whom I consider a Jaguar expert.

SoCal Babe (03-20-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
SWT

[QUOTE=richzak;927957]Convertible Top Detail..........

Thanks Richard. I just went to Amazon and purchased the 303 Fabric Guard. I noticed they also have a protectant which protects against UV damage. have you tried that?

Steve

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I find the Lexol product(s) have worked well for me, and they were recommended by another forum member whom I consider a Jaguar expert.
Anyone using the Lexol wipes? Once my Hide Food is finished, I wanted to give the Lexol wipes a go. Just sound more convenient in a pre-soaked wipe form.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=SWT;928180]
Originally Posted by richzak

Thanks Richard. I just went to Amazon and purchased the 303 Fabric Guard. I noticed they also have a protectant which protects against UV damage. have you tried that?

Steve
Steve:

I have not used the 303 UV product as it is designed for hard surfaces like plastic, automotive interior/exterior, vinyl & leather interiors, plastic bumpers, fender flares, trim and lenses, car bras, tonneau covers, vinyl soft tops & plastic windows, vinyl dash boards etc.

In my past research of the product I could not see that it is recommended for fabric type items.

My Jaguar XKR is garage kept 100% of the time, when not driving it. I understand what both of us face with the harshness of the El Paso and Las Cruces sun. It can really takes it toll. The suns rays down here are extremely harsh and damaging.

If you store your car when not driving it, that is a major advantage to avoiding the sun's rays. If you use the Jaguar as a daily driver, and sits outside exposed to the sun, then I would think after an extended period of time, the harsh sun could create a dry rot type effect to the fabric/canvas top.

I would first use the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard and see how you like the results and how it holds up to the sun. You may have to apply it more frequently. Once applied, the top will look like new.

I would try my best to protect the top from the sun as much as possible, as the cost to replace the top is $2500 to $4000 depending on who does the top replacement. It is my understanding these tops cannot or should not be repaired but replaced. I am sure that Garcia Jaguar could provide what the cost is to replace the top and who they outsource the replacement top too.

Keep in touch with any questions. My learning curve on the Jaguar XK/XKR has been quite steep. It is a great car.

SWT (03-11-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I also used the 303 Fabric Guard on my boat covers with the boat sitting out in the sun all summer long. It does an amazing job but it is not meant to water proof, only act as a repellant. Follow Richzak's instructions.
Do not use 303 Protectant on your fabric top.

SWT (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
SWT

Thanks Richard and Knomad: I keep the car in the garage the majority of the time but would like to bring it work from time to time (with no sun shade at all).

My bottle of 303 fabric guard should arrive soon and will try it out. I've got a boat also, Knomad, with a sunbrella fabric cover, I guess I can kill two birds with one stone with the product.

Also wanted to ask you guys about getting the 303 on the paint or windows. Everyone seems to indicate that is BAD! What would happen if it does get on them?

Thanks again for all the help and information on this topic.

Steve

Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SWT
I keep the car in the garage the majority of the time but would like to bring it work from time to time (with no sun shade at all).
Also wanted to ask you guys about getting the 303 on the paint or windows. Everyone seems to indicate that is BAD! What would happen if it does get on them? Thanks again for all the help and information on this topic.
Steve
Steve:

It is really hard to get off the glass or paint. If you spray the 303 on, the over spray will get on the glass and paint, and you want to do the best to avoid that.

If you spray....I suggest blue painters tape around the glass then cover with newspaper. If your using the brush on method......then I would just use the blue painters tape about 2 to 3" inches wide all around the moulding of the glass areas.

You will be amazed at the results. After hand washing an rinsing the top, just make sure it is 100% dry before using the 303. I let mine sit out in the sun for about 30 minutes, then pull it into a covered area for the final 303 application. You do not want to do the final application in the sun.

It's fun project that takes about 1 hour or less. Results are amazing. The top will look new, and then when you wash the car, that's when you really see the results of your work.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by richzak; 03-11-2014 at 05:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
bobdr1 (03-11-2014), SWT (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Steve:

Per their web site, "Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be re-treated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use.
Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard

303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original finish and reduces the fabric’s water repellency.
  1. Clean Sunbrella fabric, using one of the cleaning methods.
  2. Allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.
  3. Apply 303 Fabric Guard in a well ventilated area following instructions on the container.
  4. Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and allow fabric to dry completely.
  5. Apply a second thin, even coating of 303. (Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating.)
    Note: A 15-ounce bottle provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric.
For more information, please visit www.303products.com.

SWT (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 84 convertible that has the original top that I've done absolutely nothing with for 15 years besides keep it out of the sun which is done by driving with the top down and leaving it in the garage when not in use. The top looks more or less like new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Top detail