XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible Top Repair Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convertible Top Repair Solutions

I have a 2007 XK convertible and the seam where the glass rear window meets the top is coming apart. So far only one side has come loose but it appears that the entire window will eventually detach. I did a little research and EVERYONE seems to come to the same conclusion - REPLACE THE ENTIRE TOP. Is there any alternative? Has anyone had this problem and found a fix other the replacing the top??? Super adhesive that works??? Any recommendations??

Thanks!!

Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

There are several threads on this if you search a bit more.

Jaguar has an adhesive they recommend in their Tech. Service Bulletin on this problem, but they do not recommend doing a complete perimeter detachment repair. Also there is a 3M urethane adhesive and primer that works well (what I used). I do not think any shop would warrant the repair though. You can try to DIY, but it is tricky to get the pressure applied evenly while the adhesive dries and you need to mask very carefully to avoid making a mess of it.

If you plan on keeping the car for the long run, the Gahh aftermarket top is about 1/3 the price of OEM and I believe has a lifetime warranty so it is probably the smart choice.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-23-2017 at 08:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
There are several threads on this if you search a bit more.

Jaguar has an adhesive they recommend in their Tech. Service Bulletin on this problem, but they do not recommend doing a complete perimeter detachment repair. Also there is a 3M urethane adhesive and primer that works well (what I used). I do not think any shop would warrant the repair though. You can try to DIY, but it is tricky to get the pressure applied evenly while the adhesive dries and you need to mask very carefully to avoid making a mess of it.

If you plan on keeping the car for the long run, the Gahh aftermarket top is about 1/3 the price of OEM and I believe has a lifetime warranty so it is probably the smart choice.
I remember reading about it somewhere but can't find the thread anymore. I'll continue my search though.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll make the new top option the second choice if I can't repair my current top. Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just looking at their site I didn't see if they have the defrost option for the window. Does anyone know if it is available. Also do we assume the OEM headliner is left in place after the installation. Also will CA. now ship to any of their banned states.