XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Coolant smell

After 3 years of ownership, and 8,900 miles on the odometer, my 2010 XK is barely driven. The car was purchased with 4,800 miles. However, I have always been aware of the notorious water pump,coolant leak and possible overheating issues. I do have a 6 year extended warranty (3 years left) I always keep an eye on the reservoir and months ago added maybe 2 ounces of distilled water. After driving this morning I noticed when going back in garage a coolant smell. I looked at the reservoir and it was pretty much between minimum and maximum and some slight coolant residue around the very top lip of the reservoir tank. I also always look with a flashlight at the front of engine for any spotting of coolant which there has never been. Should the reservoir be completely sealed and/or can some coolant get passed the seal of the cap? Again, the residue is absolutely minuscule but with our cars I am always a little nervous. Thanks all.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Could be the heater core or a pin ***** in a hose somewhere...

Old 11-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Should the reservoir be completely sealed and/or can some coolant get passed the seal of the cap? Again, the residue is absolutely minuscule but with our cars I am always a little nervous. Thanks all.
Hey Bocatrip. No, it's a sealed system until your pressure exceeds the cap limit (1.2 bar (120 kPa) (17 lbf/in2)).

Leaks, no matter how small indicate too much pressure causing an overheat but it could also simply be a faulty cap.

As it is, how you describe, minuscule, consider replacing the cap as it's inexpensive. If the new cap does the same thing, you have an issue.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I got my XKR over 3 years ago with less than 6K miles. Now, I have about 11K on it. Throughout this whole time period I always smelled coolant when stopping the car after a few miles of driving. However, never really had any coolant missing from the reservoir. The dealer's pressure test did not show any leaks.

Less than a couple of months back I completed a 1200 miles drive through Nevada's most deserted regions. Every time we stopped for any reason we both noticed strong coolant smell. Needless to say, in the middle of the desert, long ways from civilization, that smell was not reassuring. When got home, the reservoir was exactly as full as before we left.

When previously posting about these issues, someone suggested that, perhaps, there was a major leak prior to me getting the car and there is still residual coolant pockets left in the engine compartment. Hard to imagine for me but, that's the best suggestion, thus far. Other than that, I keep an eye on the reservoir almost every single time after shutting the car down and allowing the engine to cool off. Too bad that we have these water pump issues that take away from the enjoyment of this, otherwise fantastic machine..

One more thing: I use the Android Torque app on my phone to keep track of the coolant temps. They have been perfect, never even close to overheating.

Last edited by axr6; 11-08-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Most people in here HATE Evans Waterless Coolant, but I don't know why they would. I don't use it in MY XKR, but I DO use it in my Mustang II (mostly) Drag Car. Since it doesn't boil, there will never be any pressure in the system to play havoc with seals, hoses and lines. It won't blow out pinholes or create cavitation. Without water, it is less corrosive and cleaner. It won't kill pets through ingestion, more environmentally friendly and lasts a LOT longer than water based coolants.
Some also say that Evans doesn't cool as well as WBCs, but in my Drag Car, water and a tiny bit of Prestone (not actually a good heat transfer media) added just for corrosion resistance just would NOT keep it in the safe zone. A big block 557 cid (9.2 litre) creates a LOT of heat. With the Evans in it not only is there zero pressure to mess with the seals (had a problem blowing freeze plugs under hard acceleration) and such, it now stays at a decent temperature.
Wow, what a diatribe.... ANYWAY;
Evans would be good for these mostly for the zero pressure produced. It would keep the seals and such (think water pump and thermostat) from blowing apart like they sometimes do.

Huh, maybe I WILL put Evans into my XKR... I may have just persuaded myself.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

I believe I have always smelled some coolant odor after any trip since i purchased my car 3 years ago. However, the coolant level pretty much stays the same.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I believe I have always smelled some coolant odor after any trip since i purchased my car 3 years ago. However, the coolant level pretty much stays the same.
Same here. I assume that some coolant must have been spilled when filling at one time in the past.

I check the fluid weekly. I have anxiety every time I open the coolant reservoir cap....

Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Well that's good news and sounds like a non event then. I would still replace the cap since it should stay dry and who knows, perhaps the coolant odor will disappear.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

When I first got my car, 2 years ago, there was no coolant odor.
Last year, when I changed my thermostat (and housing), coolant splashed all over when draining from the radiator to get the level down below the thermostat (should have taken off that bottom tray first, as the flow from the drain plug doesn't flow nicely through the opening in that bottom tray).
And then there was some additional leakage when removing the thermostat housing.
Anyway, after completing the job, I smelled coolant for almost a year afterward, even though the level remained constantly full, and I pressure tested the system to make sure I didn't have a leak. Bought a replacement cap for the reservoir, but before I got around to putting it on, the coolant smell has gone away. Must have puddled somewhere, and finally dried up.

Sean W (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Same here. I assume that some coolant must have been spilled when filling at one time in the past.

I check the fluid weekly. I have anxiety every time I open the coolant reservoir cap....
Well that's no fun. I assume you have the same app as Albert notes above, Cee Jay and virtually everyone else on this forum have recommended in one thread or another?

At least with the app, you could monitor the temperature and then you'd see trouble much faster.

I can't explain the odor occurring without a leak. Your assumption is as good as any and if you aren't losing coolant....

One caveat that seems to impact those with the SC engines is the valley hose. It will start as a pin point leak. You can't see it until it starts to drip along the transmission tunnel underneath and the leak is small for so long, the heat dries the coolant so it doesn't make it to the floor. Until it finally does.

But if you don't have the SC, your hoses are firm and not soft or swollen around the clamps, and your toping off the coolant when you check it, your fine.

shemp (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Well that's no fun.
yea, just dreading the almost inevitable infamous water pump failure.....

When I bought the car in August (from a dealer), I didn't smell anything. Then when I had to bring it back a few weeks later for something unrelated, they did the usual dealer check out and I started smelling it when I got home. I assumed they did a top-off and spilled some until I read about the water pump failures on this forum, hence the anxiety . I keep on it weekly and haven't had to add any yet.

No App to check temp yet but I'm gonna check it out now. thanks,

Old 11-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I assume you have the same app as Albert notes above, Cee Jay and virtually everyone else on this forum have recommended in one thread or another?
temporary thread hijack

So you guys leave the scanner plugged in all the time?

/temporary thread hijack

Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
temporary thread hijack

So you guys leave the scanner plugged in all the time?

/temporary thread hijack
I did for awhile, but then found myself not paying attention to it when it was always on. The act of inserting the device and starting the app made my brain aware to actually notice the thing.

shemp (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

I have the option to bring the car to Jaguar (have extended warranty) to check for leaks and possibly pressure test, but if they don't find anything there is a charge (under this warranty). I may just change the cap and keep an eye on it for the present time. I assume driving it so rarely doesn't help either.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

A few weeks ago I had my aircon re charged and part of that process is to put some sort of Gas in with the recharge fluid. This gas can be seen using I believe a ultra violet light. The garage monitor the engine bay for AC leaks for around 30 minutes to check for any leaks.

Speaking to the mechanic afterwards he said there were no AC leaks but he could see evidence of anti freeze in the engine bay. Some had probably been spilt by a previous owner. The point being that anti freeze leaks can be spotted using an Ultra Violet light. Might be worth a try to spot coolant leaks if you can get hold of a cheap UV light. It can't be much as the level is not dropping

Old 11-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hate to be a party pooper...
Got my 2010 XX ~ 2y ago. I occasionally smelled coolant, and had it checked. No problem, I was told. Fast forward 2 y, *without* adding any coolant (and temp was spot on, based on Torque app), and I heard a metal/grinding noise. Careful checking indicated that the water pump pulley was crazy wobbling. Only then did the coolant level go down JUST a noticeable amount. So I replaced the water pump (and plastic crossover; I plan to write up my version of a how to do it, but pretty busy lately). There was lots of indication of seepage, which I could never see with all the stuff on the front of the engine. Now all is good. However, there was an indication that anti freeze dripped onto the bottom of the plastic shield protecting from road water and stuff, and some slight dripping out the rear part of the plastic shield.
Based on my one car, your water pump most likely has that slight seepage that will get worse. Keep an eye on the pulley!
Best,
wrair

shemp (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

I've heard that the plastic crossover pipe is vulnerable for leakage. Is it possible to see the water pump pully easily? I was told by the shop foreman at my local Jag dealership that if the water pump is checked and even if some crusty coolant is seen around it they will not replace the pump unless it is actively leaking. He said the crossover pipe is usually the main cause for the loss of coolant and overheating. My neighbor overheated his 2010 XK and had the head gaskets replaced. I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling if I bring my car in to diagnose the coolant smell.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-08-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

If I were to get my water pump replaced and the plastic crossover pipe.... does it mean that my problem is resolved? or does this condition go on and on and is locked in with all XKs with similar engines? I'm very disappointed that after all this time there is no fix for the our coolant/overheating issue.... So many years and no definitive resolve. Doesn't attract Jaguar customers..

One more reason to stay with Japanese cars...

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-09-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe my problem was my water pump, not the plastic crossover, but the crossover wasn't expensive, and once you have the H20 pump off, it is pretty easy to do. In any case, my problem is solved.

Another item to note is that considering the wobble in the H20 pump pulley, I really did not have much coolant leakage (but yes, I could smell it). That must attest to the seal integrity, remaining pretty much intact with a big wobble. I've replaced H20 pumps on American cars that leaked far more (i.e., obvious leakage) with practically no wobble. In any event, as I understand following the many threads on XK H20 pumps in this terrific forum, Jaguar has stuck with revised version 4 of the pump for over a year now, so I'm hoping this version of the pump will be 'permanently' fixed. Nothing mechanical lasts forever, however.

It is difficult to see the H20 pump - too much stuff in the way; I had a strong flashlight (8-cell) and ran the engine, and then could see the wobble. I never could get my arm (with a cool engine) to touch the pump as there just isn't room. The wobble and the smell convinced me to change the pump immediately.

When I took the pump off, I could see that the wobble was significant indeed, such that screws in the pulley were scraping against the pump itself (the odd noise I heard). That is how much it wobbled.

BTW, I purchased my car with ~13K, and at 21K I had to replace the pump.

The manual (which I think is only moderately helpful) and other folks comments on these forums helped me figure out how to replace the two parts and the coolant flush. I promise to write up more details in the near future. Although the coolant was 6y old, looked really clean (Jag says it is good for 10y or 150K), I flushed the whole system and replaced it with Dexcool (orange, meets the Jag specs). But note that Prestone/Dexcool or other brands give it only 5y or 100K miles. Hence I decided for a complete flush, even if a little early.

Don't sweat it...it is just a H20 pump. If that is the only serious problem I have, I'll be a happy little cub.

Last item that might make a big difference, as Click and Clack* would ask: what color is your car; mine is claret.

*Car Talk

Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I also had been smelling the faint odor of coolant for about a month but had not noticed any seepage or drips. I pressure tested the system a couple of times and both times no issue was noted. As a preventative measure I replaced the thermostat and complete plastic housing assembly. After about a week, my reservoir level has gone down by aprx 1/4" but I assume it was due to my utilizing my heater and such to ensure everything was flowing once again through the hoses and core. No more drop to the coolant level. I still have a faint odor of coolant but am assuming its from the coolant spilled during the T-Stat change. Not sure if I should also replace the water pump as a preventative measure. I have an 07XK na with 52000km (30000 mi).

Last edited by Fstbmw1; 11-09-2016 at 09:59 PM.