Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant smell, leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant smell, leak

I have a 2007 XKR.
In the last 6 weeks I have had 5-6 incidents always occurring on a hard acceleration (passing) generally 50 mph to 85+ mph I get a strong smell of engine coolant. I have had to refill coolant from slightly below minimum to close to maximum level twice in the last month and I am quite sure it is related. I brought it in for servicing yesterday and they said that they ran a pressure test on the coolant system and they can find nothing wrong.
I insisted that they continue to look as I am quite sure without a eureka moment from them as to the cause it will continue.
I like the dealership that I bought it from but have never been too enamored with the service department on a few issues now.

Has anyone dealt with something similar and know a possible cause/solution?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It's possible you could have a slight head gasket issue.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Icon,

Check out my post:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ifreeze-68526/

I have yet to figure this one out, having been told, like you, that the technicians found no leak, low level, or pressure loss.

Promise as soon as I find the time to get the motor good and hot at the dealership I'll post results/answers. Mine smells mostly from passenger side hood louver, sometimes noticeable inside on a hot day with the windows up. Subtle, but definitely there.

Good luck,

Skeeter

The following users liked this post:
Iconoclast07 (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Is there a breather vent in the system, like a coolant over-flow bottle, that the smell might be coming from? If you're actually losing coolant through the head gasket there will be evidence of that in the engine oil. Since you don't have a dipstick to check it yourself, the dealer would have to do it by pumping some out to examine. You could ask if they did that, or did they just look at the outside of the engine for a visible leak.

Bruce

Iconoclast07 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Thanks Skeeter.
Seems it is the same issue except unlike you I have lost a little coolant. The same response from 2 people in the car agreeing that it does smell like coolant and comes in through the vents even with the windows up.
I have them keeping the car through the weekend as I pretty much know it will continue and do not want to feel aprehensive any time I want to step on it a little bit.
I'll post if they get it fixed.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Is there a breather vent in the system, like a coolant over-flow bottle, that the smell might be coming from? If you're actually losing coolant through the head gasket there will be evidence of that in the engine oil. Since you don't have a dipstick to check it yourself, the dealer would have to do it by pumping some out to examine. You could ask if they did that, or did they just look at the outside of the engine for a visible leak.

Bruce
The result of a failed head gasket is usually (but not always) an internal leak between combustion and coolant areas so he may not see any visable leaks. He should check for a puff of white smoke from his exhaust at FOT while reving the engine or under heavy acceleration. He can also have the plugs checked for wetness. Another test is to have someone rev the engine @ FOT while standing behind the car and not only check for the white smoke but check for that distinct smell of burnt coolant.

Last edited by RJC; 03-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM

Wow! I'd be stunned if a 2010 XKR with no service history would have a blown head gasket, car runs cool as ice no matter how hard I pay her... But I'll add it to the list of possibilities.

No overheating or major loss of coolant, just a whiff of hot antifreeze from the engine bay/passenger side louver. No smoke, though I haven't been looking for any. No smell of coolant out the exhaust, I guess that means I'm Ok on the head gasket? Never occured to me that it might be something so major; nice to have a warranty if it is that serious. Car runs like a bullet, just this faint smell bothering me...

Engine looks spotless fwiw. I'll post the answer if one is found. Sounds like a rare problem anyway.

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 03-12-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
RJC

The OP's car is an '07 an my comments were directed at his case; he'd still at the very least need to perform the suggestions I've provided before pursuing a defective head gasket. In your case especially since you can smell it from the engine, chances are it may not be the head gasket as most (not all) are internal between the combustion chamber and a coolant passage, once the coolant enters the combustion chamber it burns turning to steam (hence the puff of white smoke) and smells (the burnt odor emitted via the tail pipe). Having a slight internal leak in a head gasket will generally not initially affect the car's performance.

Hopefully Skeeter in both your case and the other Gents, it's something very benign.

Last edited by RJC; 03-12-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM

I'd be ok with something severe since I'm warrantied I just want them to figure it out, big or little problem...

Just hate these little nags that the factory technicians can't verify or solve. Since it doesn't seem to be a common issue I'll have to push extra hard to not get the brush off when they explain again that pressure is fine and coolant levels topped off. Frustrating.

Thanks for the suggestions RJC,

Skeeter

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
RJC

I hope it's not a big issue Skeeter even with the warranty. Try to befriend the shop foreman as these guys generally have the answers you're looking for.

Iconoclast07 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM

I got the call yesterday that they ran 2 "coolant pressure tests" and can find nothing. Car being delivered today.
I ask that the tech just test drive it and at 40 mph do a hard acceleration up to 70+ to duplicate a passing situation. In roughly 6 situations almost exactly like that on a long back country 2 lane road in my area I had the coolant smell every time.
This is the first thing I will be doing upon receipt of the car.

RJC
I will check for any white smoke. I did not notice any in the rear view but had the gasket issue with an old Corvette and the smoke was very noticable. I will have someone stand behind or follow me.

Bruce H.
I only put 15K miles on the car and have it faithfully serviced but I was sure I had an oil dipstick? What specifically would I look for in the oil?
Thanks to all.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a common problem on the XJ8 side.. I would suspect the thermostat housing has a crack.. The 4.2l motor uses a weak plastic thermostat housing that is prone to failure at 40K miles.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Xkr's dont have plastic t stat housings theyre metal. Also the hardest coolant leaks to find are radiator because the radiator is so shrouded you cannot see it clearly. Ive had 3(and thats just me in a shop of 15 Jag techs) radiators leaking at the side tank on that model over the yrs and all on the passenger side when hot. And since the radiator is hot it useally evaporates before hitting the ground till the leak becomes worse. All those held pressure well, not completely, but well enough, only loosing 1-2psi in 30 minutes which can useally be nothing more than a cooling engine and resulatant pressure loss making a tech think theres no leaks or loss of pressure. have them look closely at the plastic side tank where it joins the aluminum radiator core. Another wonderfull thing about expensive Jaguar coolant is it leaves red stains were it goes and evaporates.

Last edited by Brutal; 03-13-2012 at 04:30 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
bigdhenderson (05-07-2014), Iconoclast07 (03-14-2012), kthrash (03-26-2012), Skeeter (03-13-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconoclast07
Bruce H.
I only put 15K miles on the car and have it faithfully serviced but I was sure I had an oil dipstick? What specifically would I look for in the oil?
Oops...no dipstick on 2010+ so you will have one on your '07. Apparently if coolant leaks into the oil it will turn it a slightly cloudy whitish colour. But regardless, If it looks like anything other than normal engine oil I would investigate.

Bruce

Iconoclast07 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 AM

My follow-up.
After 2 pressure tests produced no leak they felt it was the coolant cap and replaced that. I was sure this was possibly just an appeasement on my issue.
Have had the car back for 10 days now and have done many hard accelerations which in past would almost always produce the "coolant smell" and after a few weeks I would have to top off the coolant.

There has been NO coolant smell or loss of coolant in my 10 days including a long trip and some hard driving. I hope it is not wishful thinking but it seems they nailed it and the problem is fixed. Kudos to my dealership.

Thanks for everyones input and for anyone with this issue I hope the fix is as easy as mine seems to have been.
Fingers still crossed.

Last edited by Iconoclast07; 03-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Xkr's dont have plastic t stat housings theyre metal. Also the hardest coolant leaks to find are radiator because the radiator is so shrouded you cannot see it clearly. Ive had 3(and thats just me in a shop of 15 Jag techs) radiators leaking at the side tank on that model over the yrs and all on the passenger side when hot. And since the radiator is hot it useally evaporates before hitting the ground till the leak becomes worse. All those held pressure well, not completely, but well enough, only loosing 1-2psi in 30 minutes which can useally be nothing more than a cooling engine and resulatant pressure loss making a tech think theres no leaks or loss of pressure. have them look closely at the plastic side tank where it joins the aluminum radiator core. Another wonderfull thing about expensive Jaguar coolant is it leaves red stains were it goes and evaporates.
Thanks, Learn something new everyday, I assumed since they were the same engine they might have the same issue.. carry on.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
RJC

My follow-up.
After 2 pressure tests produced no leak they felt it was the coolant cap and replaced that. I was sure this was possibly just an appeasement on my issue.
Have had the car back for 10 days now and have done many hard accelerations which in past would almost always produce the "coolant smell" and after a few weeks I would have to top off the coolant.

There has been NO coolant smell or loss of coolant in my 10 days including a long trip and some hard driving. I hope it is not wishful thinking but it seems they nailed it and the problem is fixed. Kudos the my dealership.

Thanks for everyones input and for anyone with this issue I hope the fix is as easy as mine seems to have been.
Fingers still crossed.
Great news, luv simple fixes and happy endings

Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My follow-up.
After 2 pressure tests produced no leak they felt it was the coolant cap and replaced that. ...
I'm having the same problem (2003XKR) and was going to get the car into the dealer this week. Any suggestions to check and see if it is the cap before I take it in?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by lsimon
I'm having the same problem (2003XKR) and was going to get the car into the dealer this week. Any suggestions to check and see if it is the cap before I take it in?
I would call the service department and ask what they did to find the problem but in my case I insisted my issue ( including having to add coolant twice in a month) be fixed. I think after the 2 pressure tests found nothing they replaced the coolant cap out of desperation.
Good luck.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I just had a cracked resevior on my VDP, you want to check that.

Quick Reply: Coolant smell, leak