XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crazy to Cross Shop an XKR (or XKRS) with a Mustang GT350 (or GT350R)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
I wouldn't call the GT350 with a flat plane crank V8 a base mustang with options.
What bothers you about that statement? The accuracy of it?

It might be a great car, but it is a base Mustang with options.

Nothing particularly wrong with that, but there is no denying that it is a mass production car that has been optioned up to a high performance level, and with the express intent that will sell a hell of lot of base Mustangs. Smart marketing and strategy.

An XKRS is a base XK with options. Right? Or am I missing something?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Yes, you are crazy, but that's part of the car hobby. Before the stock market collapsed I was shopping a new Mustang GT vs a couple year old XK coupe. I've owned and restored a couple of 60s vintage Mustangs, been involved in a Mustang club, plus I had a fox chassis back in my college days in the late 80s. Needless to say I enjoy Mustangs, but there's an awful lot of other cars I'd like to enjoy before I die too and an XK is high on my list. Always thought they looked cool going down the road, but really fell in love when I attended a Jaguar club event a couple of years ago. A Mustang GT is very cool too, but common enough to be a no worries, daily driver. If I bought an XK, that'd mean I'd be driving my pickup a lot more than I want to, or perhaps I'd keep the old XJ8 but I'd have to kick it out of the garage into the weather. Plus it'd be nice to have a new car warranty, but I restore old cars for a hobby so long as it didn't take too many weekends away from that I'd be OK with an XK.

I pretty much like everything about the new Mustang GT. Ride quality with the new IRS seems improved over the previous generation but one thing threw me. Ford has a very cheap mechanism for adjusting the steering wheel position and it is in no way meant as a tilt steering to help you get in and out of the car. I kept banging my knees on the new Mustang's steering just like in my old 68 Mustang with its fixed 15-inch steering wheel. In time, I'd probably figure out just the right motion to do it without interference, but I sure wish Ford had fitted a proper tilt steering mechanism. I had no such issues getting in and out of the XK of course. Unfortunately the value of my next new car account went from a loaded Mustang GT down to a base V6 model in the last three weeks so I get to think about it till the market recovers. Maybe with depreciation, an XK will meet me in the middle.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
What bothers you about that statement? The accuracy of it?

It might be a great car, but it is a base Mustang with options.

Nothing particularly wrong with that, but there is no denying that it is a mass production car that has been optioned up to a high performance level, and with the express intent that will sell a hell of lot of base Mustangs. Smart marketing and strategy.

An XKRS is a base XK with options. Right? Or am I missing something?
More the delivery and tone of the entire post, to snub your nose at the car because there is a base version that has a v6 or a turbo 4 just rubs me the wrong way. A real car guy will respect the car for what it is. I can go to a cars and coffee event and appreciate most of the cars on display some cars that show up have no reason to be there i am sure most of you know the type. I do not ignore the cars that cost less than x amount and only look at the ultra expensive that show up.

Interestingly enough the last few in houston have had a decent amount of f types show up and they seem to get little attention compared to some of the "lesser" cars by some peoples definition.

Your right jag does the same thing and offers far less performance and upgrades for the money compared to what ford offers with the mustang. At least with the gt350 you get a one of a kind engine, carbon fibre wheels, mag ride suspension etc and not just a tune for 40 more hp.

Both cars will turn heads for very differnt reasons if your main goal in life is to roll up to a club and get attention get the jag if you want a car that will surprise 99.9% of the population on the track and street get the gt350.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
They are two different cars, one for us snobs who are concerned about our vanity, the other for guys who are more concerned with performance and perceived affordability.

Listen, owning a high-end car isn't all about the style, it is about the status. Let's just face what it is, and that Mustang, no matter how special (and it is), doesn't show the status to everyone.
This sums it up. Mustang, now matter which one it is, is not a Jaguar GT. Is not an Aston Martin.

You can remind yourself of that when you are looking at them in your rear view mirror out on the track, but they will remind you of that when they get front parking with Valet and yours is off to the garage.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-26-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 02:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello All!

I came back to this thread after almost a year and I have to say - time is a decider of most things!

The GT350R has proven to be the best track and driver's car and is still holding it's value over 12 months (above MSRP) - some the XKR (and XKRS) have not done.

The reason I compared the two is that they are both from the Ford origin - both designed by the Callum Brothers and share many similarities in outward design cues for coupes - I realize they appeal to two different segments, but then again, they overlap, as the responses have proven.

I believe the Jag trumps - not in performance, but in MOJO BABY - as looking at the XKR - it is gorgeous at any angle and far better the the F Type R - hand down...shall we begin this discussion - have at it!

Cheers all!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you still get excited when you get into your car (XKR or GT350R or...) you got the right car!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

As we all know taste is a personal opinion and usually drives us into various choices in life. The pony cars came out to fill a void of a low cost performance cars to sell to the youth set. They have evolved through time and are a very respectable market tool for the major mfg's. Also with various aftermarket options they have become a great track car and still have their own on track class. This has been great for their sales and for the average J Q Public they are all the same meaning people know what they are but don't know the model in the model options. My taste has been to get something unique where it is not common and the reaction is , what is it or wow that's a Jag or what ever other car I had (like my SP250). So my net is get what you want and enjoy what you get.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

In the 80's I owned 2 Lamborghinis for a good number of years.

When the first "performance" Mustang came out in '83 I ran down to my local Ford dealer and purchased a brand spanking new one with minimum options in order to save weight. Drove it home, pulled it into my garage and went to work on it. 2 hours later much what was removable on the car was scattered around the garage floor.

When I got done building engine, suspension, interior etc. the Mustang absolutely demolished both my V12 and V8 Lamborghinis, not only straight line but on the tracks. Next year I won the yearly autocross championship with the pony, against cars, like Corvettes, Camaros, Porsche 911s, and even a gorgeous Jaguar XKE. Taking it to a Porsche Club event at Laguna Seca, the car turned the Fast Time of the Day, to the utter resentments of the snobby P - car owners. Over the CA canyon roads the car was untouchable by anything. Felt great to demolish anything and everything on the road, regardless of price. It was the most controllable, yet, most radical car of its time that I had ever driven.

If I had to pick one car in my long history of fast-car ownership for the most fun, it was the Mustang, followed closely by my two twin turbo 3rd gen RX-7s.

Yes, I sold both Lambos. There was no reason to keep them around when the Mustang gave me much bigger smiles every time I got behind the wheel.

Times have changed as I got older. I no longer crave speed and those banzai canyon races. I am very nostalgic remembering the Little Pony, yet, rather happy these days spending time in the luxurious, yet adequately quick confines of my Jaguars. Yeah, just for old times sakes I did touch an indicated 160 MPH in the XKR during my recent 1200 miles road trip over a totally deserted Nevada road section. Old habits die slowly...:-)

Just an other perspective...

Old 10-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Good track story but to the every day driver it was just another mustang. Now the Lmbo's would raise an eye or to even for the non auto geek.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Gentleman, Gentlemen- please...Heeaar Heeaar........I will sum this entire thread up in the most simplest of ways.

When you tell somebody that you purchased a Mustang, that person will simply yawn and say 'uh -huh'.

However, when you tell somebody that you purchased a Jaguar, they will immediately stop whatever they are doing, raise their eyebrows and say with a wry smile 'no way...a Jaguar!'

And that pretty much says it all folks.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 10-16-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting thread; reading all those responses... I'm thinking there is a need for both types in our fleets.
My thoughts; most cars can be modified to outperform the average, my street legal, vintage race prepped SP250 would eat stock 5.0 Fox bodies in the 80s with only 2.5litres.
Back in that period turbo quattros were banned from 2 race series and sure made fun street cars, especially in bad weather.
In 2014 we desired a convertible, both family and close friends have Mustangs and there was no way my Lady wanted another, we looked at several possibilities, but I kept the XK 'til last and she clearly fell in love. It suits us just fine, classy style, don't recall seeing another around here, plenty fast enough and being a 2007 the heavy depreciation was already eaten by others. (and nobody even realises that it's 10 years old)
Yesterday I spent a day on a track, no, not with the XK, I bought a Mazda RX8 R3 for that duty, it has the right stuff from the factory to handle track driving and a slick 6spd; not as fast as a 350R, but likely less intimidating and a fraction of the value if the worst should happen... and it was the only one there.. A new Focus RS showed up. don't think it made its young owner as quick as he was expecting.. and the shifter linkage broke..
Aren't cars fun..
Trevor

Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Just a point on exclusivity . Yesterday we went to our area's largest car show. There were around 250-300 cars of all types and years. It was held at a large mansion on the river. It took us a few hours to walk round the grounds and view the cars. If I had to count there were maybe 15-20 mustangs and most were either GT350's or 500. There were a few Ford GT40 and a bunch of Cobras. Now there was 2 Jaguars one being a 69 XKE coupe with a Chev TP motor and a stock 2001 XKR coupe. Oh and then there was my 2012. And Corvette's were plenty full. Tons of hot rods and several vintage 30's sedans. And so on and so on. Great show and fun day. Try the car counting test and see how many mustangs or camaro's you see during the day and then compare it to how many Jags. It's all about personal taste and if you track the car on a weekly/monthly basis then get a pony car but if your ego commands a boost the the Jag should fit nicely.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

A buddy traded in his '15 991 Porsche on a GT350. Power is bonkers, the engine & exhaust sound are darn near illegal loud and the brakes are just fantastic. Drives like a big car, but boy is that some performance! Really nice drivetrain. Transmission as nice as the Porsche. Interior is a little plain/low end. They could've made it just as sporty & spartan and done it a little nicer. Ventilated seats work well and tons of telemetry is available from the car. I would take 150-200K Porsche for similar performance.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastcat
Hello All!

I came back to this thread after almost a year and I have to say - time is a decider of most things!

The GT350R has proven to be the best track and driver's car and is still holding it's value over 12 months (above MSRP) - some the XKR (and XKRS) have not done.

The reason I compared the two is that they are both from the Ford origin - both designed by the Callum Brothers and share many similarities in outward design cues for coupes - I realize they appeal to two different segments, but then again, they overlap, as the responses have proven.

I believe the Jag trumps - not in performance, but in MOJO BABY - as looking at the XKR - it is gorgeous at any angle and far better the the F Type R - hand down...shall we begin this discussion - have at it!

Cheers all!
Well done, sounds like your purchase was spot-on for you.

Although I disagree with any possible comparison to the Jaguar XKR. These types of debates rage for the BMW M6 and Mercedes SL63 AMG. All these vehicles are hopped up versions of the "regular" model for those that want max performance in a luxury vehicle. They also have something else in common, all of them are not ideal track cars. Certainly not like a track ready specialty Mustang, or hopped up Boxster/Cayman, or any other number of track favorite vehicles.

There are a ton of high production cars that look very nice, have a lot of HP, and a much lower price point than an XKR. Comparing an X150 body to any of those is just lost on me. No matter what is said about how well the Mustang holds it's value, performs on the track, gets attention at meets, it isn't even in consideration as an alternative to an X150 in my mind.

With that said I am not breaking you down, I like the Mustang (not for me) and don't look down on people who drive them, I respect your choice. Just because someone has a Mustang doesn't mean they can't afford a Jag!

Last edited by tampamark; 10-17-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I respect your choice. Just because someone has a Mustang doesn't mean they can't afford a Jag!

I think more people would have Jags if they realized they could afford them. Maybe not new, agree... But the used market is full of low mileage cars for a song. My XKR was a one owner 2007 purchased 2 years ago with 19,000 miles for $28,000.00. That's not even a great deal if you are patient you can do much better. With jags I have the opportunity to drive something no one else has. I prefer it that way. I purchased a new fully loaded 3/4 ton Dodge pick up truck in 2000, V-10, 4:11 posi with every option. And I must have seen 20 each day on my way to work and back home... yawn. Awesome truck, just did not stand out. My Jags stand out and when you are a gear head that is what matters.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

A friend recently purchased a 350R for his son's track day runs, i've seen it and it looks mean and better put together than the usual pony car. The R version, however, eliminates air conditioning in an effort to save weight and decrease load on the engine. So, that really makes that model (the normal GT 350 has a/c) a track car only in most parts of the country.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

As an happy owner of an XKRS - i also would like to buy an 350R they are both funny cars

Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I think more people would have Jags if they realized they could afford them. Maybe not new, agree... But the used market is full of low mileage cars for a song. My XKR was a one owner 2007 purchased 2 years ago with 19,000 miles for $28,000.00. That's not even a great deal if you are patient you can do much better. With jags I have the opportunity to drive something no one else has. I prefer it that way. I purchased a new fully loaded 3/4 ton Dodge pick up truck in 2000, V-10, 4:11 posi with every option. And I must have seen 20 each day on my way to work and back home... yawn. Awesome truck, just did not stand out. My Jags stand out and when you are a gear head that is what matters.
Its a matter of risk tolerance. If something goes wrong with the Jaguar, its out of warranty, and the repair can be bigger than what you paid for the car. In my case, When it comes to more exotic cars, while the buy price may drop to lows at time, the fix it cost remains the same.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Its a matter of risk tolerance. If something goes wrong with the Jaguar, its out of warranty, and the repair can be bigger than what you paid for the car. In my case, When it comes to more exotic cars, while the buy price may drop to lows at time, the fix it cost remains the same.

Very interesting reading, the best part is there are no right or wrong responses on this type of thread. There are lots of cars to like out there for as many different reasons are there are people………… Love the attached and very accurate quote.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
the best part is there are no right or wrong responses on this type of thread.
I agree and add some more. So many people put there decision tree for buying a Jag into the equation. Affordability, depreciation curve, ability to handle maintenance, risk tolerance vs risk averse, cachet of owning a car that stands out in a crowd.

This is true and definitely a part of my decision for year and model that I purchased. Thing is there are many folks who can afford any car they want and aren't affected by financial risk who will buy a kick-*** Mustang, or Charger, or Vette and would never own a spectacular Jag they could buy used/low mileage/fairly new at the same price.

To say they missed out by not getting the Jag is placing our opinion on their purchase. Likewise I say that a comparison for cross-shopping a hopped up Mustang vs the Jag is not a comparison at all. Different strokes for different folks and no correlation even if there was a common denominator in distant corporate ownership and designer.

Quick Reply: Crazy to Cross Shop an XKR (or XKRS) with a Mustang GT350 (or GT350R)