Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash Camera anti vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Dash Camera anti vandalism

Do you guys have used one of these dash anti vandalism camera and what do you recommend?

Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
Do you guys have used one of these dash anti vandalism camera and what do you recommend?
I use a dash cam in all of my vehicles.I wouldn't be without one.

Here's an actual recording from my 2015 Corvette C7. This camera can be found on eBay for under $35.00.

Works great as you will see in the video. Uses a Micro SD card for video/audio recording which is video loop.

Music in the background is from my USB thumb drive in the Corvette.

Enjoy. Hard to beat price for what you get.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Which one do you use, how is it mounted and all that?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Nice video quality, but I must admit I'm a little disappointed in the content. I suppose I am used to the Russian video cams of car wrecks, people almost getting run over and road rage fights that I expected to see a little more...

mosesbotbol (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Which one do you use, how is it mounted and all that?
Moses:

Here's the link. Incredible deal and incredible price.

Car DVR Novatek 2 7'' Camera 1080p Video Registrator Dash Cam G Sensor GS8000L | eBay

Suction cup mounted just below the mirror. The Dash Cam turns on and off with the Jaguar ignition.

jagxk2008 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Rich , how long does it record until it over writes the info. Lets say can you get a 4 hour drive out of it without rewriting the data. I didn't see this info in the ebay listing.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Moses:

Here's the link. Incredible deal and incredible price.

Car DVR Novatek 2 7'' Camera 1080p Video Registrator Dash Cam G Sensor GS8000L | eBay

Suction cup mounted just below the mirror. The Dash Cam turns on and off with the Jaguar ignition.
Thanks, i got my passenger window broken yesterday when i parked 2 minutes, and i want one for vandalism when parked, so i was wandering how the sensors works, does the camera can turn 180 degrees, and catch vandalism / detect it?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, i got my passenger window broken yesterday when i parked 2 minutes, and i want one for vandalism when parked, so i was wandering how the sensors works, does the camera can turn 180 degrees, and catch vandalism / detect it?
I don't think there is any dash cam that will detect vandalism and rotate. These cameras have a motion sensor that turns on when someone crosses the viewing path of the camera but does not sense that vandalism is occurring.

I think that would be impossible to find a camera at this price.

You probably need some kind of perimeter alarm system installed in the vehicle.

jagxk2008 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

There are some quad cam systems out, I don't think they are fully perfected though after some of the reviews I have seen. Since I don't follow the technology all that close don't take my word though!

Personally I don't see the benefit unless you have vandalism in your neighborhood and wanted to identify and confront the local kid, someone maybe you recognize. At a parking lot with some random stranger what will a video yield you? A face, then you print it out and go and canvas the area with the picture? I guess if someone reported the person and you wanted to prove it to the authorities. Most of the times I think it will tell you what you already know, some dude broke your window.

That is how I see it, I am curious how others would plan on using cameras for capturing vandalism, maybe I am missing something obvious?

jagxk2008 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

in that case the other day, it was 2 kids, 10 years old with bycicles, when i came back they were in front of the damaged window and i let it 1 minute so i know who it was, it will have helped me in that case but you right otherwise its pretty dificult, 1130 e to replace it.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

in that case the other day, it was 2 kids, 10 years old with bycicles, when i came back they were in front of the damaged window and i let it 1 minute so i know who it was, it will have helped me in that case but you right otherwise its pretty dificult, 1130 e to replace it.
Damn kids. My Wife was at the devil store, Wal-Mart, a couple of months ago and we took $2200 in damage. Mirror knocked off and sideswipe of the fender/door. I could have used a Google camera on top of my car with 360 degree recording at that point. THEN I would have the perpetrators dead to rights. After speaking with the Police I could have filed a report and acquired the store surveillance video, but they said even then it is difficult. Perhaps a front/back dash cam might have given me some worthwhile info, I don't know? Probably just point me to some degenerate who has no insurance or money.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Dashcams range from @$40-350 (Blackvue the highest rated) plus sizes and features vary greatly too. Most all are solely used while driving for either keeping a nice video of where you've been OR for purposes in case of accident to show how it happened and who was at fault. Some are solely front facing while others have both front and rear cameras (still haven't figured out how I would want to mount a rear camera on my convertible yet). Front view mounts next to your rearview. Though some will continue to record for a short time after the engine is stopped most do not do that and none that I am aware of would record anything from onside the car only front/back so side window being smashed wouldn't show

As far as "Devil store" goes... a little late now but when I do head there I ALWAYS park well away from anyone else but to reduce general vandalism but also the chance of one of their trolls who cannot seem to control their cars when behind the wheel. I do the same at any mall or anywhere else.., figure I can use the exercise anyway trying to get pole position at the cost of bodywork isn't appealing

Old 09-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Rich , how long does it record until it over writes the info. Lets say can you get a 4 hour drive out of it without rewriting the data. I didn't see this info in the ebay listing.
The Dash Cam I use can handle a 16GB Micro SD card. That's a lot of recording time.

I think I get about 20-10minute segments or around 40 to 50-3 minute segments.

You can set the recording time. I use the 3-minute segment. If I am in an accident all I need is 3 minutes. I would remove the SD card and load into my computer for future reference.

In Leeper's post above, he is right on with his info. There are cameras that now record front and back, but the back viewing is from the front of the car where the camera is mounted.

Features of these dash cams vary and is dependent on the price that you're willing to spend.

I have used these cameras for several years. No accidents, but did get stopped once in my wife's small SUV (Hyundai Tucson) for making a so-called California stop. Once the officer approached the vehicle I told him I have a video dash cam, and the dash cam will show I stopped for 3 seconds. He went back to his cruiser and simply wrote a "warning" ticket and stated, have a nice day.

They work fine for my purpose and as seen in the Youtube provided above, image quality is quite good.

So far I have not recorded any other accidents, bank robberies, pedestrian hit and runs from other people. My recordings haven't hit the local news yet. But someday I may capture a video of something interesting or life saving.

kj07xk (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

A few cameras have front and rear view in one (I've only seen this on very cheap models) which is mounted near the rear view but the better models have a separate camera which would normally mount in your back window facing backwards otherwise it is inside facing backwards there would be massive blind spots/very limited viewing. With a convertible it would probably require a weatherproof camera mounted directly above the license plate... still mentally trying to figure that one out so it is not an eye sore yet can get the best video.

Ideally I'd like to see only a tiny cameras (maybe the size of a walnut, think how great and small your camera in your phone is) that I would mount both front and rear then have the actual processor maybe behind the dash someplace out of sight but accessible. It would have at least 64GB, 1080p, Wi-Fi, capacitor not battery powered, and not cheap Chinese made. All that technology is already out there just not put into a package yet... the Blackvue is the closest for @$300

The following 2 users liked this post by Leeper:
kj07xk (09-06-2016), richzak (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Falcon Zero which is quite good. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. The only exception I have with this dash cam is its motion detection. If you want to have it on, it will need to be manually turned on each time the car is in park. Can't have it on while driving. Other that that, it has superb quality and a bunch of other features. Also like the fact how small it is compared to other dash cams. And it also comes with wire clips and 32gb micro sd card.

https://www.amazon.com/FalconZero-F1...ds=falcon+zero

Old 09-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Daftshadow, the F360 is one sweet setup. Richzak's is much less money but is a big honking unit that you suction cup to your window or dash, still it is really inexpensive.

That Falcon Zero F360 @ $138 with it's front back camera features the ability to pick up 120 degrees so you can train it on the front/side and side/back. Might be a solution some are looking for with a twin cam setup.

The fact that it clips over the existing mirror makes it less obtrusive. I still am not going to buy one, but it is cool!

Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Daftshadow, the F360 is one sweet setup. Richzak's is much less money but is a big honking unit that you suction cup to your window or dash, still it is really inexpensive.

That Falcon Zero F360 @ $138 with it's front back camera features the ability to pick up 120 degrees so you can train it on the front/side and side/back. Might be a solution some are looking for with a twin cam setup.

The fact that it clips over the existing mirror makes it less obtrusive. I still am not going to buy one, but it is cool!
My dash cam is 3.5" wide by 1 3/4" inches high. Yes. I use a suction mount, mounted directly under the mirror.

tampamark (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:33 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I've run one of the Mini 0805 dash cams for a while in my convertible. It's pretty unobtrusive to me from the driver's side, though the passenger can see it fairly clearly. All in all, very stealthy and it holds a 128 GB micro SD card, so my 3 minute loops hold a LOT of recording video. Like Rich, nothing interesting beyond recording a trip through the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons last year.

Here's what it looks like from the outside:

Old 09-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
My dash cam is 3.5" wide by 1 3/4" inches high. Yes. I use a suction mount, mounted directly under the mirror.
That is a great unit to suggest, inexpensive with a great picture. Personally if I was to go with the technology I would pay more for less obtrusive. Not knocking that unit at all, it is what it is, about the size of a GPS unit.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Here's why I'm getting one: was found "60% at fault" in an accident where I wasn't. My insurance (on a friggin XKR convertible) essentially doubled, and will stay that way for 3-4 years. Gonna cost me thousands in premiums. Dashcam would have made all the difference. Even the insurance people suggested I go back to the scene and ask restaurants on the corner (I was T-boned at an intersection) for their video, if they had any.

Quick Reply: Dash Camera anti vandalism