XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disaster, XKR totalled in low speed accident...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Disaster, XKR totalled in low speed accident...

Some rough luck... My beloved silver 2010 XKR with barely 10k miles on the clock was hit and damaged pretty badly a few nights ago. Thankfully I've been deemed not at fault, and me and my passenger were totally without injury.

The car did an amazing job of protecting us, sacrificing crumple zones in all areas of impact and not even needing to fire off any airbags. Nevertheless the damage is severe, I'm 100% it will be deemed a total; the impact spun the car and it got banged around pretty good before coming to a stop. Speed was around 35 mph I'd guess. Windows down, talking to my friend on a slow uphill divided road...

Needless to say I'm in a state of shock. Not just the PTSD of the experience itself, but to think that the XKR is no more... I know they are only machines, but when you find that perfect car that matches all your fantasy car dreams, and they are fairly rare, it takes on more significance to me.

A mundane question: what should I expect my insurance company to pay for the totalled car? I've looked on Jaguar's site and can't find anything close to a select edition 2010 XKR coupe with 10k miles... Nor even a 2011.

Any opinions as to how much the select edition and low miles add to the value? That way I could look for a low mile car without the SE and add its worth to arrive at an approximate value.

And for the life of me I can't think of ANYTHING I'd rather own. Nothing hit my buttons like the silver XKR, smooth and raw at the same time, and now I discover it's immense safety in design.

Sad days...

Skeeter

Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

While I can't help you with a valuation you do have my great sympathy.
We all know our relationship with these cars is special and goes beyond their mere practical purpose.
I hope you get a fair deal and can replace your XK withanother just as loveable.
Two questions - what on earth hit you ?
Would it be worth asking a Moderator to move this to the XKR forum where all the people who can help with valuation hang out ?

Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I am very sorry to hear about this incident . You walked away w/o scratch ,this is more important . I can't give you any advice about the insurance sorry but I am sure anyone with experienced how these work with will
Happy safe driving

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Sorry to hear about the XKR but good that no one was injured.

Hope you get an acceptable offer from your insurance company and can then find another.

Graham

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Repeating my response from the thread in For Sale forum:

... Kelly Blue Book or NADA on the net will get you started with the valuation of the car. Here in Georgia there are special businesses (for a fee - around $200 - $250) that will do a valuation of your car and represent you to the insurance company on "lost value". In accidents here, the cost of repair or worth is computed by the insurance company and may not always represent a fair reconciliation.

Very sorry to hear about your car - glad you and your passenger weren't hurt!

The following users liked this post:
Skeeter (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Sorry to hear about the car Skeeter, I hope you can work out a good deal with the insurance.
I've merged your two threads and deleted the duplicate posts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Skeeter (07-09-2012), steveinfrance (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Any pictures?

Don't sign anything from an insurance company until it is read over by lawyer. I thought it would be the other party's insurance that would cut you the check? You can also ask you insurance agent on the process and express your concerns. Getting the valuation right is not going to be as straightforward as on a more common car.

Skeeter (07-09-2012)

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Sorry to hear the sad news. My son wrote off his vehicle and was offered a settlement he thought was a little low. The adjuster had called around to get 3 prices on similar vehicles for sale and averaged them to value his. He was able to negotiate for a little more because of additional equipment he had on his, and you may be able to do the same. I don't recall if you had options other than the 20" wheels, or whether they factor in extra value for extended warranties, but on a car that's only 2 years old hopefully establishing its fair value won't be too hard.

Good luck sorting that out, and glad neither of you were injured.

Bruce

Skeeter (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If they total it, maybe you can buy the wheels off of insurance for cheap?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I totaled a car on an icy road two years ago. It was my fault, and I dealt with my insurance company exclusively (USAA). Procedures are a bit different when a car is totaled. It is usually towed to a special lot for totaled vehicles. An adjustor employed by an independent company appraised the car. They did not use Kelly Blue Book or NADA. The appraisal I got was about 75% of true value. I was presented with a "take it or leave it attitude." I'm a retired CA lawyer living in OR. I researched consumer protection laws in OR on internet. Discovered there is a statutory dispute resolution procedure here, and probably in most states. I was entitled to obtain my own appraisal at my own cost. Then the parties' appraisers are to meet and agree on a value. If they cannot agree, it goes to arbitration and the winner is reimbursed for its appraisal fee. I hired an appraiser who does nothing but oppose insurance company appraisers. Apparently, these appraisers exist everywhere. My appraiser used as comps advertised prices by area dealer, which indirectly reflect Kelly valuations. My appraiser was a pro at dispute resolutions, and the final agreed valuation represented a fair retail price plus reimbursement for my appraisal. All this took about three months to accomplish.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rey:
amcdonal86 (07-09-2012), Skeeter (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Rey has stated it more eloquently than myself, but the appraiser route and how it is described below is exactly what I have done twice before.

The appraiser I hired was also a seasoned professional that had been doing his thing for years. I also got a fairer and bigger settlement using them. I did, however, pay for the appraisal out-of-pocket; but the difference in settlement was well worth it.

Originally Posted by Rey
I totaled a car on an icy road two years ago. It was my fault, and I dealt with my insurance company exclusively (USAA). Procedures are a bit different when a car is totaled. It is usually towed to a special lot for totaled vehicles. An adjustor employed by an independent company appraised the car. They did not use Kelly Blue Book or NADA. The appraisal I got was about 75% of true value. I was presented with a "take it or leave it attitude." I'm a retired CA lawyer living in OR. I researched consumer protection laws in OR on internet. Discovered there is a statutory dispute resolution procedure here, and probably in most states. I was entitled to obtain my own appraisal at my own cost. Then the parties' appraisers are to meet and agree on a value. If they cannot agree, it goes to arbitration and the winner is reimbursed for its appraisal fee. I hired an appraiser who does nothing but oppose insurance company appraisers. Apparently, these appraisers exist everywhere. My appraiser used as comps advertised prices by area dealer, which indirectly reflect Kelly valuations. My appraiser was a pro at dispute resolutions, and the final agreed valuation represented a fair retail price plus reimbursement for my appraisal. All this took about three months to accomplish.

Skeeter (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Pay for an independent appraiser to give you REAL market value for your car. Your insurance may try to compare your car to base XK's instead of other XKR's, so watch out. I paid around $375 for an independent appraiser in 2009 and it made a $6000 difference for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by WldCat:
amcdonal86 (07-09-2012), Skeeter (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Go with an apraiser as others have recommended. I failed to do so and the net loss was about 15% below replacement market value (5 grand) on my totaled Audi. My company (SafeCo) does play the "intimidation" card when you mention outside appraisers (As in "if you use one we retract our offer") But as the law states, its your right.... You might even get the appraisal without letting the company know you are doing so...

I know next time I certainly will!

BOL, and hope to see you back in another Jag soon!

V

Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad everyone is ok.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news Skeeter. Glad everyone is all right. I'm sure it will not be that easy to find a similar quality and mileage car. Good luck in replacing it. Also, I assume, you will probably look into buying the car back and see if it can be repaired by a reputable shop. They can do wonders. I have seen cars rebuilt that were nearly 100 percent destroyed (crash and fire) into show quality cars.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 07-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Skeeter, Sorry to hear about your beloved Jag, but glad you came through. When I was first looking at Jags, and XK's you did a great write up in response to one of my first posts on the forum!

I don't know if the site below is authoratative in any way, but maybe it's another reference point:

2010 Jaguar XKR pricing at VMR Used Car Prices

Also, I was wondering if the Dupont Registry may have an XKR listed, and possibly a special edition like yours. The appraiser route suggested above sounds like a good way to go. This is often used in the appraisal of damaged buildings, and in my experience usually results in a higher value for the one with the loss.

Keep us posted and hope you can find another Jag you will like as much.

Here is a link to a search for 09 to 11 XKR's on Dupont registry, some special editions are listed:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...09&toyear=2011

Last edited by jaguny; 07-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  19.3 KB

Really sorry to hear your sad news Skeeter.
I'm glad no one was injured but feel the pain as though it were my own......Ive been in similar situations in my time but never with a car like yours.

I do hope you get treated fairly and hope you get into a vehicle of your choice sooner rather than later.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Too bad about the Jaguar. Glad you and your passenger were/are uninjured (physically). If you have trouble finding an appraiser, talk to your dealer or insurance broker now! get the appraiser ASAP. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I did a quick look at autotrader.com and 2010 XKRs (2) nationwide were going for around $70K. My guess is that the insurance company may decide to fix your car instead of totalling it. If they decide to go that route, then try to get a reduced valuation claim.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Most new car policies in Canada are available as a full replacement cost for 5 years. It does cost more than a depreciated policy, but, in some cases may well be worth it.

Quick Reply: Disaster, XKR totalled in low speed accident...