XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

docking usb

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts
Cool docking usb

I leave a usb flashdrive connected at all times. The 09 xk used to come all anytime I would select portable audio. It has started to ask me to dock the usb now about 3 out of 4 times. I need to unplug it and plug it back in and it docks and works. Next time in car we play this little game all over again. Wondering if this is one of the weak battery gremlins surfacing that is so frequently talked about in this forum. I don't know what this icon is about but thought it was cool.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdr1
I leave a usb flashdrive connected at all times. The 09 xk used to come all anytime I would select portable audio. It has started to ask me to dock the usb now about 3 out of 4 times. I need to unplug it and plug it back in and it docks and works. Next time in car we play this little game all over again. Wondering if this is one of the weak battery gremlins surfacing that is so frequently talked about in this forum. I don't know what this icon is about but thought it was cool.
Bob:

I have the exact same issue. I keep my micro USB thumb drive in the docking slot 100% of the time, never remove it. I get the same when going to "portable device". I have to wait until the device docks all over again. I also have a 2009 XKR.

My battery is always fully charged with a CTEK 3300 on the car 100% of the time when parked in the garage. So I know it is not a battery issue.

Has to be something along the lines of the USB thumb drive not storing the download into the system.

I am seeking the solution to the same system problem as yourself. You are not the only out there with this issue. It takes about 10 minutes to dock the device and have the music system recognizes the USB device.

Hopefully we can find an answer here, by one of the Jaguar music experts.

Anybody else have this problem?

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

This might be along the same lines. I cannot get my car to recognize my Ipod Nano. I had the salesman try as well. He told me when I bring it into service, it might be a software upgrade. What do you guys think? Same deal as you are having?

bobdr1 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
This might be along the same lines. I cannot get my car to recognize my Ipod Nano. I had the salesman try as well. He told me when I bring it into service, it might be a software upgrade. What do you guys think? Same deal as you are having?
Not sure Boca. If you find anything out, please let us know. Inquiring minds want to know.

It is frustrating however. When it works, the sound system is awesome.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Not sure Boca. If you find anything out, please let us know. Inquiring minds want to know.

It is frustrating however. When it works, the sound system is awesome.
Will do. I just found out the other day, the only option on my car is HD radio. Since I have not listened to anything else, even the radio sounds great in this car!

Old 12-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks guys. I also have had this happen twice with my 2010 xk which I just got last week. The '10 is under warranty, Boca let us know what happens with yours, if software update is cure will take it in. Agree the sound system is excellent

Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
What version is your Ipod Nano? Has it ever been recognized?

I never undock my old Ipod Nano 5th Generation from the connector in the armrest and never turn it off. Every time I start my car my Ipod is recognized. I also leave a Scosche charging adapter connected to my Ipod. That adapter was much less costly than the new generation cable with charging capability. My car hasn't had a software upgrade.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
Thanks guys. I also have had this happen twice with my 2010 xk which I just got last week. The '10 is under warranty, Boca let us know what happens with yours, if software update is cure will take it in. Agree the sound system is excellent
The last thing I want to do with a 2010 car is to go back to cds! I have my history of favorite tunes on my Ipod. I hope there is a fix.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Docking Issues with USB

I have had the same issue with my USB on my Jaguar XF S. I believe it is to do with the amount of data which is stored in the "buffer" for the music. I have on a number of occasions tried about 10 times to get the music to work and by that time I am at my destination!!! Very frustrating. I have noticed if I undock the USB and then play music from the radio/CD for a while it seems to re-set and then I can start with the USB again..say 10 mins of music on the radio/CD. I remember reading somewhere that the IPod should not be constantly connected overnight as it will drain a slight part of the power (like leaving the glove compartment light on).

I hope this helps, however its not a total fix, but still helps to get it going.

Jaguar XFS with XFRS Performance Diffuser and adaptive dinamics option and Quad exhaust.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much the same problem with my 2012 XKR. The USB seems to require docking too often, seems to happen less if I use the FOB to lock the car. It supposedly puts the car to sleep. Installed a Pioneer aftermarket in the Ford and it works fine with the USB.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I had an issue with the audio from my iPhone 4 shortly after I bought my car in April - the left channel vanished, and it would no longer charge (phone said it was an 'unknown accessory', which I thought was an interesting description of a car). Jag replaced the audio dock module under warranty, which fixed that problem. If you're under warranty, it's definitely worth raising the issue, because they can try stuff like swapping the module which would be expensive experiments for you.

However, there are times when the audio system doesn't seem to recognise the playlist structure on the phone. It will play the music library in alphabetical order, but you can't select 'Mix' or change to another playlist - undocking the phone, waiting & re-docking seems to fix it. So, I think there are some gremlins in the audio system's iOS interface. Can't speak about USB, because I don't use it, but if there's bugs in one interface, chances are there's bugs in the other.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problem with my 2012 XK. If it is a problem on 2009's, Jaguar evidently is in no hurry to fix it as it still persists at least into the 2012 my.....

Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello their I just picked up my 2010 xor from the dealer and they updated the software and "claim" the usb/ipod docks work I tried and tried again to no avail!!!! frustrating a north of 100k vehicle doesn't seem to have a fix........

Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Show them the problem, so they can't say it doesn't exist, and suggest they try swapping the cable and/or the docking module.

Gato Negro (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

If it's a problem playing music from the iohone, re booting the iphone solves the issue for me 100% of the time.

As far as USB drives, make sure your drive is under 32 gigs, format FAT, and you should be cool. I've had very rare issues with my two 2010+ XKR's.

Skeeter

Gato Negro (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for the USB help lesson learned never drive away from the dealership w/o testing various "things" you brought it in for......its all good