Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Get a room, you two.

The following users liked this post:
SickRob (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm referring to Shell's claims here, there's nothing verified to support their statements below. At this point it's purely marketing hype until proven outside sources can confirm otherwise.

Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline isn’t just reinventing premium gasolines, it’s reinventing the premium gasoline category. Shell V-Power NiTRO+ offers drivers unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear, giving drivers one more reason to fill-up at Shell. And this triple action protection formula is only available at Shell.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
I'm referring to Shell's claims here, there's nothing verified to support their statements below. At this point it's purely marketing hype until proven outside sources can confirm otherwise.

Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline isn’t just reinventing premium gasolines, it’s reinventing the premium gasoline category. Shell V-Power NiTRO+ offers drivers unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear, giving drivers one more reason to fill-up at Shell. And this triple action protection formula is only available at Shell.
Less than 2% of all retailers in the US are corporate stores. The other 98% are C-Stores. C-Stores order their product from the cheapest place they can get it. TT stores should specify TT product, but you know how retailers are. Caveat Emptor

Last edited by Box; 04-20-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

So how would the new Shell product help on direct injection engines?

The easy answer is nobody has any clue. Until it tested and verified we can only go on Shell's marketing claims, no outside testing or verification has yet been done to prove or dispel anything
Additionally, the claimed problem on DI engines is carbon build up on the back face of the intake valve and it's stem. Those areas are not fuel wetted as with conventional injection engines, so the new fuel is of dubious value in this respect.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Additionally, the claimed problem on DI engines is carbon build up on the back face of the intake valve and it's stem. Those areas are not fuel wetted as with conventional injection engines, so the new fuel is of dubious value in this respect.
Understand that lighter viscosity oils end up with more going down the intake valve-stem, as well as oil vapor and lighter end hydrocarbons being drawn through the PVC into the intake tract. The place in which the highest temp, which causes oils to coke, is the intake valve. The exhaust is flashed off. This is why direct injection engines need to use low sulfur ash oils to help minimize this.

Last edited by Box; 04-20-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

So how would the new Shell product help on direct injection engines?

The easy answer is nobody has any clue. Until it tested and verified we can only go on Shell's marketing claims, no outside testing or verification has yet been done to prove or dispel anything
Please read the white paper I posted to understand how quality fuel helps keep carbon to a minimum. If you want a layman's explanation; if the cleaner can also vaporize the way oil does, then it gets to back of the valves. Only due to the nitrogen content, this oil sticks to the metal (chevron patent) and the motor oil does not.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
If you want a layman's explanation; if the cleaner can also vaporize the way oil does, then it gets to back of the valves.
How does it go upstream past a closed valve?

Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Mikey, since you were unaware that shell premium contains more additives than their lesser octanes, the burden is on you now to keep an open mind.

They made 20 billion in profits in 2014, ask any barrister here, if there was a false claim made by them there would be ample recourse and lawyers would be queuing up for a class action.

The claim on the DI engine is not to clean the valves, its to minimize carbon buildup. Refer to the posted white paper.

I am not trying to sell gasoline, just lookin out for me jaguar mates.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

How does it go upstream past a closed valve?
Same way as the carbon does.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Perhaps I wasn't clear Q&C, it's not a question of how quality fuels keep carbon to a minimum and the virtues thereof... it is directly being skeptical of Shell's grandiose claims which are to this point completely unsubstantiated with regard to this Nitro+ fuel (which again has a additional .24-40 per gallon premium over their top fuel here in the states). To this point nothing they have claimed in their "new fuel" has been verified by any outside reputable scientific study so thus far it is just that "purely marketing rhetoric" with no proof whatsoever. ANY gasoline refinery can make claims, proving them is something entirely different. Techron has stood up, Nitro+ thus far has not and until it does they've got nothing to go on. Sorry I do not believe any companies claims purely based on their own studies or how lovely they may sound.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:54 PM

Same way as the carbon does.

That would constitute a miracle. The carbon deposits accumulate in the manner described by Box. The fuel never comes close to the valve stem and back face so all the additives in the world are of no value.

There's no reports of non-DI Jag engines suffering from contamination no matter brand of fuel is used, so it's pretty difficult to suggest that Shell works any better than the others.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear Q&C, it's not a question of how quality fuels keep carbon to a minimum and the virtues thereof... it is directly being skeptical of Shell's grandiose claims which are to this point completely unsubstantiated with regard to this Nitro+ fuel (which again has a additional .24-40 per gallon premium over their top fuel here in the states). To this point nothing they have claimed in their "new fuel" has been verified by any outside reputable scientific study so thus far it is just that "purely marketing rhetoric" with no proof whatsoever. ANY gasoline refinery can make claims, proving them is something entirely different. Techron has stood up, Nitro+ thus far has not and until it does they've got nothing to go on. Sorry I do not believe any companies claims purely based on their own studies or how lovely they may sound.
Leeper, The claims have absolutely been validated.

But first lets not overlook the misplaced suspicion. You recommend Costco gasoline. Did you know that until recently costco gas did not pass the minimum standards set by top car manufactures. Shell always has. In other words, it would disqualify you from being a good judge of gasoline quality, because you were making your choice based solely on price. And bear in mind you did not ask to see any test results from them.

With that in hand, Shell's nitrogen gasoline is nothing new. Chevron Techron is what that is in essence, which has been proven over 20 years. Their claim is to be even better. Here is a independent test.
Fuel for thought: 2 months running on Shell V-Power Nitro+ - Daddacool

Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Wow- has this gotten silly in a big hurry.

If Jag is happy with non-Top Tier fuels, why aren't you?

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

That would constitute a miracle. The carbon deposits accumulate in the manner described by Box. The fuel never comes close to the valve stem and back face so all the additives in the world are of no value.

There's no reports of non-DI Jag engines suffering from contamination no matter brand of fuel is used, so it's pretty difficult to suggest that Shell works any better than the others.
Dangerously wrong!
Do a search here, on this forum, you will find the carbon buildup issue posted by Jaguar Techs. No DI engine is immune from it. It can be mitigated at best.

Its not about fuel touching the intake valve- it never does, its the oil mist touching the intake valve. Dont forget techron/detergent is oil! BUT AGAIN, this is not about washing the valve this is about having less sooth- which the white paper I posted explains.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

If Jag is happy with non-Top Tier fuels, why aren't you?
It is??
In any case the answer should be obvious, it does not have to pay my repair bills, I do.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 PM

From the Top Tier site:

"Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. "

Jag, JLR, Ford and Tata do not appear in this group of 7. They are either not amongst world's top automakers or they don't buy into the top tier marketing scheme.

As for repair bills, Jag doesn't pay my fuel system or engine repair bills either. There again, there haven't been any. Can't remember hearing about anybody else having a problem either.

Can't remember ever having repairs bills on any vehicles due to poor fuel quality.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Mikey, since you were unaware that shell premium contains more additives than their lesser octanes, the burden is on you now to keep an open mind.
Well, no.

From the Top Tier site:

Is TOP TIER only for premium gasoline?

No. TOP TIER fuel marketers use the same detergency treat rate for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

From the Top Tier site:

"Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. "

Jag, JLR, Ford and Tata do not appear in this group of 7. They are either not amongst world's top automakers or they don't buy into the top tier marketing scheme.

As for repair bills, Jag doesn't pay my fuel system or engine repair bills either. There again, there haven't been any. Can't remember hearing about anybody else having a problem either.

Can't remember ever having repairs bills on any vehicles due to poor fuel quality.
You are a gas mate. You are pulling my leg right? I hope someone poor sod does not take your advise. Just because you did not see Jaguar mentioned on that site you assume that Jaguar is immune from low quality gas. Maybe yours, The Jaguar XKR manual specifically states low quality gasoline will cause damage to engine.

Besides I dont need Jaguar to tell me what low quality gas does. LOL

Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Well, no.

From the Top Tier site:

Is TOP TIER only for premium gasoline?

No. TOP TIER fuel marketers use the same detergency treat rate for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations.
Not true of Shell Gasoline. As posted in link.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

From the Top Tier site:

Jag, JLR, Ford and Tata do not appear in this group of 7.

BTW I love your logic, Fiat Chrysler warns ordinary gasoline does not go far enough. So it must be okay for a high performance Jaguar. LOL

Quick Reply: Does the world have 91 octane and