Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Driving with top down (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/driving-top-down-216584/)

Canadacat 04-18-2019 10:24 AM

Driving with top down

surprised at how windy it was . Had a 350z rag and a corvette as well and I have to say the XKR is a wind tunnel by comparison.
I know you can get an aftermarket wind deflector but how much of the wind do they stop ?

110reef 04-18-2019 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Canadacat (Post 2057124)
surprised at how windy it was . Had a 350z rag and a corvette as well and I have to say the XKR is a wind tunnel by comparison.
I know you can get an aftermarket wind deflector but how much of the wind do they stop ?

That, my friend is the whole point! Wind in the hair, sun on the face.

I'll never understand the people who drive with the top down and the windows up. Looks silly, and as I said negates the whole point of having a convertible.

Of course, I expect many will disagree with me, but that is why I have a convertible.

Canadacat 04-18-2019 11:55 AM

Nope sorry don't want to look like a poser, hair all over the place,wearing a parka because I don't be want to put windows up yelling at passenger do they can hear me. All those things I can do in my boat.

Stuart S 04-18-2019 12:20 PM

For a calm cabin with the top down, you need (1) WhiteXKRs Remote Control Soft Top Controller kit with the optional rear window controls and (2) a rear wind deflector screen.

See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-109235/page7/ and my Post #153 for installation tips.

And: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lector-186904/

Canadacat 04-18-2019 12:31 PM

Just installing jagwranglers remote with rear window control now👍

mosesbotbol 04-18-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 110reef (Post 2057129)
I'll never understand the people who drive with the top down and the windows up. Looks silly, and as I said negates the whole point of having a convertible.

Of course, I expect many will disagree with me, but that is why I have a convertible.

When I had a convertible, that was the main way I drove. Made it way more comfortable. How does that negate the whole point? It's no less sunny with the side windows up.

jagtoes 04-18-2019 01:24 PM

It's rare that I drive with the windows up but on occasion I have . Most likely if the temps were below 55*F. As for the wind deflector I got mine from Mina right after I got the car. My bet is that the space caused by the jump seat causes turbulence is the problem. I didn't have this in the other converts I had owned. As for the remote top I am still out on that as I don't mind holding the switch. My problem is I have a bad habit of hitting double hitting the key fob button which in my garage arrangement would put the top through the ceiling. I do this because of the lock/unlock on the Lexus where pressing it once unlocks the drivers door and twice unlocks all four. Just a habit I guess.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b5142008a1.jpg

Canadacat 04-18-2019 01:48 PM

I had a 70 buick skylark GS ( clone) convertible witha big back seat and wind wasn't an issue. Maybe the I just had bad cross winds , will try again when warmer

Cee Jay 04-18-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2057231)
.................... I have a bad habit of hitting double hitting the key fob button which in my garage arrangement would put the top through the ceiling. I do this because of the lock/unlock on the Lexus where pressing it once unlocks the drivers door and twice unlocks all four..................

The remote requires three button pushes to activate, but I agree that if you have it up on the lift and accidentally get that third push in, may have a problem...

Anybody out there ever check HOW MUCH clearance is required to clear the top on retract or close?

u102768 04-18-2019 04:08 PM

I am surprised how little wind comes in to the cabin at any speed with the windows down on my '10 XKR. I spend most of the summer with them down so that I can listen to the exhaust burbling away.

In comparison I have to put the windows up on my wife's Audi S4 as soon as I start moving.

Cee Jay 04-18-2019 04:50 PM

I agree with u102768, I get MUCH less wind and noise than any of the other 'verts I've had. Less than the new Mustang GT I took for a test drive by a LOT.

sparky fuze 04-18-2019 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2057231)
It's rare that I drive with the windows up but on occasion I have . Most likely if the temps were below 55*F. As for the wind deflector I got mine from Mina right after I got the car. My bet is that the space caused by the jump seat causes turbulence is the problem. I didn't have this in the other converts I had owned. As for the remote top I am still out on that as I don't mind holding the switch. My problem is I have a bad habit of hitting double hitting the key fob button which in my garage arrangement would put the top through the ceiling. I do this because of the lock/unlock on the Lexus where pressing it once unlocks the drivers door and twice unlocks all four. Just a habit I guess.

First-world problems... :icon_blah:

ralphwg 04-18-2019 10:27 PM

I find that under certain conditions driving with the Top down, all four windows up and the wind deflector deployed is a real joy; particularly at freeway speeds (65+ mph) at cool temperatures can be a real delight.

pk4144 04-19-2019 02:28 AM

Let me know if you haven't committed to a wind deflector yet. (And yes, they are essential.) Reason I ask:

I think (not sure) I'm the only member here who's owned and driven many miles with BOTH a Jag OEM wind deflector and an Adamesh deflector. Adamesh, a solid aftermarket brand, is the deflector of choice here on the forum. I had a Jag deflector, lost it (dumb story), bought an Adamesh to replace, based on the responses here.
I'm going back to a Jag deflector. If you're interested, I'll sell you my Adamesh for a hundred bucks plus shipping. It's in MINT condition.

Why?
The issue of wind. Look: they're both solid, and serve their purpose.
Plus side for the Adamesh:
- price. The dealer price for a Jag deflector is silly. You gotta scour ebay for one.
- sturdiness. The Adamash is a little more solid in its build.
Jag OEM:
- rearview transparency. They're both fine, but, honestly,, the Jag mesh is MUCH easier to see through. Not a huge deal. What IS a huge deal....
- turbulence. Night and day. No comparison. Why? two reasons: the Adamash deflector has a "gap" between the vertical and horizontal pieces, which the Jag deflector does not. That's a cool breeze on your neck at night, especially at highway speeds, where its more of a blast. But mostly, the horizontal part of the Jag deflector contours to the rear seats MUCH more closely than the Adamesh, and that makes an enormous difference in the turbulence in the rear seat. You could set a stack of papers in the rear seat under the Jag deflector, and they'd be fine. Adamsh deflector, and you'll be picking those papers up off the road.
I'll post pics in a bit.

kj07xk 04-19-2019 02:53 AM

Guess I'm lucky, an OEM deflector came with my car when I bought it (used).
Did have a hell of a time installing Steve's Remote Top Controller though, as his instructions (at the time) didn't mention the brackets between the rear seats, and I was fighting to get the seat back out with the brackets in place. :icon_doh:

old_dawg 04-19-2019 06:03 AM

Cee Jay, Just curious, as I haven't ordered for my '12 yet. The remote control top on my '07 required two different buttons to activate, does that change to three button pushes for '10 forward?

SinF 04-19-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 110reef (Post 2057129)
That, my friend is the whole point! Wind in the hair, sun on the face.

+1

kj07xk 04-19-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by old_dawg (Post 2057564)
Cee Jay, Just curious, as I haven't ordered for my '12 yet. The remote control top on my '07 required two different buttons to activate, does that change to three button pushes for '10 forward?

You have the choice of two different methods. You can do the 2 button headlight/unlock (headlight/lock) method, or 3 button unlock/unlock/unlock (lock/lock/lock) method.
I find the 3 button method easier, especially when the fob is in your pocket. The option applies across all model years.

Cee Jay 04-19-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by old_dawg (Post 2057564)

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 2057641)
You have the choice of two different methods. You can do the 2 button headlight/unlock (headlight/lock) method, or 3 button unlock/unlock/unlock (lock/lock/lock) method.
I find the 3 button method easier, especially when the fob is in your pocket. The option applies across all model years.

Yep, what kj said. You can do it either way. Caveat; you can ALSO get the top up/down with three button pushes of the DOOR HANDLE BUTTON, but that one is a bit finickier.

WhiteXKR 04-19-2019 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 2057641)

Actually it is 3 button only for the '12 and later models ('11 and later in the UK).