Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK Remote Top demo video !

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
I'd be really interested in understanding why everyone else hasn't also hit this problem. Is it because of the year of your car?
Yes, there was apparently a small change in the encoding of the headlight command from the remote over the internal data network starting in model year 2012. Ralph had the first one fitted on a 2012.

Similarly, there were much more major changes in 2010, but those were found way back in January and addressed during Beta testing.

I appreciate Ralph's patience and understanding...I do my best to stand by my products.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts
Smile

Just Niz and others - The problem dealt with a change that jaguar made in the software controlling recognition of the key fob. I think the change only impacts the 12 and maybe newer vehicles. Beyond that you would have to get additional information from Steve.

As to the function of the remote system; it is now operating 100%. My guy came over this afternoon and within 15 minutes we had disassembled the rear seat, installed the software update, tested the system, and re-installed the rear seat components and every thing was good to go.

I am very pleased with the remote system and the service follow-up by Steve K. He is as good as his word and corrected the slight glitch within hours of becoming aware of it. My guy who did the major work on the installation was just as I expected; fast, efficient and neat. With in the next few days I will post a video of the top and windows going up and down using the remote.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Awesome support

Steve is a pro
Installation instructions were dead on. Could not have been easier. Had an issue w rear window controller and Steve couldn't have been more helpful.
Issue resolved and this unit is simply awesome.
Thanks Steve.

WhiteXKR (05-10-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

WhiteXKR I've just got a question after reading my OM for the 2012. It mentions not to stop while putting up or down the top. Something about losing memory or position. Can you shed a little light on this as to what if anything happens if you do. We consider you to be the expert here so I'm just interested in what will happen if anything at all. Thanks

Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
WhiteXKR I've just got a question after reading my OM for the 2012. It mentions not to stop while putting up or down the top. Something about losing memory or position. Can you shed a little light on this as to what if anything happens if you do. We consider you to be the expert here so I'm just interested in what will happen if anything at all. Thanks
Most of the time you can stop with no adverse consequences, but there is a small chance the top will get out of sync when you stop and restart. If this happens, the top needs to be reset by manually lowering it as described in the owner's manual.

jagtoes (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have now had the remote in operation for almost two weeks. Every time I either open or close the top remotely I get a big grin on my face. As to stopping the top in midstream, I have done so a few times both on purpose and inadvertently with no ill effects.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

>> As to stopping the top in midstream, I have done so a few times both on purpose and inadvertently with no ill effects.

Isn't that called Convertiblus Interruptus?

I'd be VERY interested to know what happens if you stop it half way and then turn off the ignition (with the start button), then back on again, then try and resume the roof.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

>> As to stopping the top in midstream, I have done so a few times both on purpose and inadvertently with no ill effects.

Isn't that called Convertiblus Interruptus?

I'd be VERY interested to know what happens if you stop it half way and then turn off the ignition (with the start button), then back on again, then try and resume the roof.
Turning the ignition on and off will not upset operation of the top when used with the remote controller. This is a distinct advantage of the adding remote feature.

This is by design of the remote controller. Once a top cycle is started, the car's convertible top controller module is 'spoofed' into believing the ignition is on until the top cycle is over. This is the secret to making the top operate with the ignition actually off. .

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-16-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 AM

>> Once a top cycle is started, the car's convertible top controller module is 'spoofed' into believing the ignition is on until the top cycle is over. This is the secret to making the top operate with the ignition actually off. .

This is brilliant. If this also applies when opening the roof with the button in the car, then this spoof alone is more than enough reason to buy the unit.

I can't believe how Jag ever thought it was OK to sell a car where if you start or stop the engine at the same time as opening the roof, you have to remove 2 different panels to get to the tool and the pump, and then manually crank the roof back again by hand.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

>> Once a top cycle is started, the car's convertible top controller module is 'spoofed' into believing the ignition is on until the top cycle is over. This is the secret to making the top operate with the ignition actually off. .

This is brilliant. If this also applies when opening the roof with the button in the car, then this spoof alone is more than enough reason to buy the unit.

I can't believe how Jag ever thought it was OK to sell a car where if you start or stop the engine at the same time as opening the roof, you have to remove 2 different panels to get to the tool and the pump, and then manually crank the roof back again by hand.

Jaguar powers the entire convertible top system directly off of battery power, not switched ignition power. They clearly designed it with the potential to operate with the ignition off....but then used software to basically disable this feature.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The only time I could fool the system, is initiate the top while opening the boot.. then the operation is halted, but the internal timer system of the automatic remote, is still ticking.. upon closing the boot, the top continues its sequence, but if the boot was open long enough, it will either not resume at all, or does not finish the entire cycle.. (in my case the roof did not latch itself into place). then with a single tick to the system you can re-open and re-close it..

(note to WhiteXKR - perhaps also stop the internal timer sequence when boot is opened during operation)..

Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Parzival
The only time I could fool the system, is initiate the top while opening the boot.. then the operation is halted, but the internal timer system of the automatic remote, is still ticking.. upon closing the boot, the top continues its sequence, but if the boot was open long enough, it will either not resume at all, or does not finish the entire cycle.. (in my case the roof did not latch itself into place). then with a single tick to the system you can re-open and re-close it..

(note to WhiteXKR - perhaps also stop the internal timer sequence when boot is opened during operation)..

The car is factory programmed to disable the top operation when the boot is opened. I will consider your suggestion for a future downloadable software upgrade.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 PM

>> The car is factory programmed to disable the top operation when the boot is opened. I will consider your suggestion for a future downloadable software upgrade.

I haven't confirmed this by actually looking at the car, but I wonder if Jag did that because an already fully open boot lid could possibly hit the panel in front when it opens to stow the roof?

Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

>> The car is factory programmed to disable the top operation when the boot is opened. I will consider your suggestion for a future downloadable software upgrade.

I haven't confirmed this by actually looking at the car, but I wonder if Jag did that because an already fully open boot lid could possibly hit the panel in front when it opens to stow the roof?
I have not had a chance to look at this fully yet, but one of my customers told me that if you have the Satellite antenna on the boot lid it can just barely kiss the tonneau cover when both are full vertical, but not cause any damage. I want to study this more thoroughly before making any changes to operation.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-19-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

I just went out and opened and closed the top from outside the car while watching the area the top fills when it goes in to the boot. I think that the reason that Jaguar won't let the top operate with the boot open or with the divider not deployed is to preclude one from putting the top down with its required storage space filled or partially filled with other items and then having them damage the fabric or the mechanism by trying to put the top in a space that would be too small.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve - this looks amazing. Has anyone installed on an XKR-S yet? Should work equally as well right?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Steve - this looks amazing. Has anyone installed on an XKR-S yet? Should work equally as well right?
No one has installed it yet on an XKR-S, but I expect (and guarantee) that it will work fine.

Do you want to get on the waiting list? I am finally getting the list whittled down.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-29-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Do you want to get on the waiting list? I am finally getting the list whittled down...the wait is now down to about 3 weeks or so.
You bet! Can't wait to install. I'll take the all-in version. Thanks!!!

WhiteXKR (05-28-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Job Steve...I bought mine and its on its way to me here in Japan.

WhiteXKR (05-28-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just fitted this to my 2010 XK and it is so coooool !!

The price is very reasonable but expect to pay VAT on receipt. It does take about two weeks in the post but when it arrives it's well worth it.

The instructions are clear and detailedrovided you follow them carefully it is a fairly easy installation.

From now, I no longer have to hold my finger on the roof up/down button until my arm aches!

I can have my rear windows up when driving with the top down!

And I can open and close the roof with the remote from outside the car.

Fantastic!!

WhiteXKR (05-28-2014)

Quick Reply: XK Remote Top demo video !