XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 282 Likes on 104 Posts
Default XK Wind Deflector

I got one with the car, a bit worn, and IMO too low. It looks quite OEM with the two push "pistons" at each end and the two flat floppy things that fit in small gaps between seat backs and center. When I say it's too low, I mean there's an inch of wind in my hair, if I crouch down it's much better. And the top solid black bar is not above the small window, it's about 3/4 up only. And there's plenty of room beneath the top when it's up.

So is another available? I've see others aftermarket, but they seem to have no control at the rear, it just lays on the seat back. Or can I raise the holes by adding the funnel like female thingies 1" above the current ones?

Any ideas? Looks like a design flaw? Or is mine not OEM?

Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Adamesh is the other one highly recommended on these hallowed forums.

Link

Our friends at Mina Gallery also offer an aftermarket version.

Link

I cannot speak to the measurements of either products as they compare to each other. If you're worried about keeping the combover in place, the best way to do that (IMO) is to combine the windscreen and the rear window option on the JagWrangler's remote top opener. It's a must-have accessory (now that I have one...).

Link

The following users liked this post:
drbbop (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

No Quarter,

+1 on the JagWrangler's remote control top with the optional rear window controls. Raising the rear windows makes a substantial difference in minimizing wind turbulence

How tall are you? You stated: "... if I crouch down it's much better." Make sure your seat is all the way down and reclined enough. If you raise the rear pins, you'll change the angle of the deflector (and not raise it much) because the location of the front pins is fixed. Why don't you try it and see what happens?

I have the Adamesh version (same as Mina Gallery) and it has 2 pins that fit in the slots between the rear seats:

Rear seat pins:

Windscreen, top closing:

As for installing the JagWrangler's remote control top with the optional rear window controls, see my post #4: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-180943/

Stuart

Old 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

For what it's worth, I have an Adamesh unit and it works in all configurations. top up, wind screen up, top up screen down, top down screen up (duh!) and down too... It's a nice unit and doesn't rattle .....

Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

+1 on the JagWrangler rear window control.
Sounds like you have the OEM wind screen, as mine has the 'floppy things' that fit in the vertical slots between the rear seats and center section.
As seen above, the aftermarket ones have pegs that fit into the seatbelt slots above the center section. So the horizontal part of those screens is higher than the OEM ones, but I don't know if the vertical part reaches higher.
There has to be a limit so that the top can be raised/lowered with the screen up.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

+1 as to the Adamesh. And it costs about 50% of the OE deflector. Also +1 as to the remote top controller with the rear window controller add-on. If I'm not mistaken the Jagwrangler is having a sale right now or maybe it ended on Monday of this week. At any rate take a look at it at thejagwrangler.com.

Last edited by ralphwg; 08-04-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

I've got the OEM one (picked it up used, I agree that it's overpriced new). Also actually drove out to Mina Galleries to try theirs, so I can attest that they're pretty much the exact same height. Both do cut across your sightline through the rear window-- as kj07kk points out, that ensures that the screen won't get caught in the convertible top when its raised and lowered-- assuming you don't always lower the screen each time you raise or lower the top, which I don't. There's supposed to be some kind of mounting bracket for the "floppy things," and if you don't have them (I don't), go to a hardware store and pick up a little clear tubing, cut to size, and slide it over those things. Wedge them down between the rear seat bolsters-- grips tight and works like a champ.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Plus one on both JagWranglers remote with rear window option and the adamesh wind deflector.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

As a comparison, here are some pix of my OEM deflector.
The closeup shows the clear plastic tubing slid over the metal tabs; then I've got a shot of the tabs wedged into the rear seat, the deflector lowered, the deflector up.
Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
robtroxel (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by pk4144
Hope this helps!
Yes, and thanks to others as well. For now I've ordered the Jagwrangler module and will then test if the rear side windows up changes my mind. If not, I'll still look for a solution to getting the deflector higher. To me the simplest solution might be to stay OEM, but to get a set of the female thingies (English word please?) that's on each side of the rear interior, drill a hole for them higher up and glue them in (if there's space behind).
What are they called, and where can I buy such small non-wear parts?

Attached Thumbnails XK Wind Deflector-img_20170806_0840333.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my Adamesh deflector!

Old 08-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by No Quarter
Yes, and thanks to others as well. For now I've ordered the Jagwrangler module and will then test if the rear side windows up changes my mind. If not, I'll still look for a solution to getting the deflector higher. To me the simplest solution might be to stay OEM, but to get a set of the female thingies (English word please?) that's on each side of the rear interior, drill a hole for them higher up and glue them in (if there's space behind).
What are they called, and where can I buy such small non-wear parts?
I was out for a drive today and although I drive wearing a hat I didn't have it on today to see if I had your wind in the hair issue. I have a Mina wind screen but I believe they are all the same height. The net is I don't have the same issue as you have. My seat bottom is at it's lowest setting and the seat is as far back and tilted back as much as it can. Oh I'm 6'3" and my headrest is only up about 1".

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

The Adamesh looks like it could solve my problem, but when writing them, they said they're all 10"s high, well most of them. But then again, it looks like it sits higher. So in doubt if I should buy. Maybe the best determinant is distance to the roof when deflector is up and roof/hood/top also: Mine is almost 4" vertical, if anybody has the time to measure their Adamesh?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by No Quarter
The Adamesh looks like it could solve my problem, but when writing them, they said they're all 10"s high, well most of them. But then again, it looks like it sits higher. So in doubt if I should buy. Maybe the best determinant is distance to the roof when deflector is up and roof/hood/top also: Mine is almost 4" vertical, if anybody has the time to measure their Adamesh?
They're 10 inches tall with 3.25 inches of clearance between the top of the windscreen and the bottom of the roof's headliner.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Talked to Adamesh, had some more questions, also wanted to buy a cover, but he never called back as requested, so I thought I'd test my current wind deflector. It's not in great shape, so if I ruined it, wouldn't be a big disaster, and it's better to modify the wind deflector than the car inner panels, they're harder to fix.

So I wanted to make a Q&D raising the deflector about 1½". I used two door hinges and cut and welded. (If you've read about me cutting and welding the accelerator pedal as well and are worried that I'll cut and well the whole car, don't worry, I think I'm done now )

The result was good.
1) Less wind in the cabin
2) Full view through rear window
3) Room enough to raise the top, doesn't hit
In other words, this is the height OEM should have been from the start.

Pictures, not for the faint of heart, but the brackets I made are just screwed into the threaded rods, so it can be reversed at any time

Attached Thumbnails XK Wind Deflector-img_20170810_1418548.jpg   XK Wind Deflector-img_20170810_1424045.jpg   XK Wind Deflector-img_20170810_1515030.jpg   XK Wind Deflector-img_20170810_1519373.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy these grommets, not an individual item in a parts catalogue apparently?

Attached Thumbnails XK Wind Deflector-jaguar-grommet.png  
Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Should be able to find something suitable here.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
For what it's worth, I have an Adamesh unit and it works in all configurations. top up, wind screen up, top up screen down, top down screen up (duh!) and down too... It's a nice unit and doesn't rattle .....
My adamesh unit has developed a squeak, not sure where yet needs more investigation.

Either that or there's a little mouse that doesn't like going fast.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 AM

On my way to Italy, German highways, Check Engine lights up. Car runs fine. How to find out what issue is?

Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

That sucks. Even assuming the car runs fine, there are literally hundreds of things that could indicate, with the urgency level ranging from "don't worry, deal with it when you get back," to "gotta take care of that now."

Gotta get the codes read. In America, lots of places to have that done for free; in Europe, I don't know. We've got other members from Europe here, so...

SUGGESTION: start a thread with "help needed in Europe" or the like in the title. No one who's not interested in wind deflectors will see your question here.