XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

dust proof cover???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default dust proof cover???

Hey guys,
This past weekend I was cleaning the Jag with one of the major tasks being cleaning and waterproofing the top. Throughout this, I couldn't help but notice the dust that had accumulated under the cover once removed.
Anyone found a cover that will allow the finish to breath, yet, minimize or even prevent dust accumulation?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'd suggest a sheet of lightweight plastic of a couple old comforters over the cover. I keep my '68 Fairlane in a 20 x 40' stick built shed with a dirt floor that originally held four model A sized cars and has done well in that environment in spite of the local feral cat population.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply, but, I don't like the plastic idea as it'll trap moisture between it and whatever it's sandwiched. Afterall, there still needs to be a certain breathability factor to consider in whatever I choose. Perhaps there is no 100% solution as if it breaths, it'll allow dust particles to enter.......

Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I never had trouble with the plastic over the clothe cover. Maybe I was just lucky or the car hid any condensation. I don't think I would do it on a vert.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Be careful doing this. I once had a "buddy" that left his non-running car in my one empty shop stall over winter, which made my Pro Street Mustang stay out in the weather. I wrapped it all up with blankets and a big heavy tarp and thought all was well.
Turns out, the ground moisture percolated up, was held in by the tarp and got the blankets all wet, which made a VERY big mess of all my aluminum engine parts. Next time, I'll use plastic UNDER my car to keep moisture out, as even asphalt allows moisture UP.
Some pics of the carnage, which took dozens of hours to remedy...

Forgive the Low-Res pictures, I used a phone from many years ago.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 05-15-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Be careful doing this. I once had a "buddy" that left his non-running car in my one empty shop stall over winter, which made my Pro Street Mustang stay out in the weather. I wrapped it all up with blankets and a big heavy tarp and thought all was well.
Turns out, the ground moisture percolated up, was held in by the tarp and got the blankets all wet, which made a VERY big mess of all my aluminum engine parts. Next time, I'll use plastic UNDER my car to keep moisture out, as even asphalt allows moisture UP.
Some pics of the carnage, which took dozens of hours to remedy...

Forgive the Low-Res pictures, I used a phone from many years ago.
EEEK! Lesson learned. Thanks for saving others from suffering the same fate.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I learned a long time ago about the harmful affects of ground moisture. Part of my garage floor is plastic tiles that have an airspace between them and the concrete. OOPs! sideways, apologies......They weren't save that way?

Attached Thumbnails dust proof cover???-img_2395.jpg   dust proof cover???-img_2394.jpg