XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electronics delay

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Electronics delay

When it's real cold, when I start up sometimes it takes my screen and other interior electronics 30-60 seconds to come on. It's like nothing inside electrical is working, then radio starts, fan starts, then the Jaguar emblem shows up on the screen. I am not sure why this might be happening.

I have had my battery go flat on me (below 8.2v required to activate the relays which power doors/lights/etc) twice, from accidently leaving accessories on. I'm not sure if my battery is in need of attention or my alternator. But I also noticed on occasion it feels like I don't have power steering. Which makes me feel like it might be an accessory belt. All belts check out though.

And lastly, sometimes my steering wheel doesn't come down to me when I get in and start the car. But it always goes up.

So is there anything aside from battery or alternator that might be causing the issue? The car sits on a tender 90% of the time as I take it out maybe once a week now that the cold is here, and even less frequently once the white stuff hits.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

You're in Eastern Pennsylvania my friend. You don't know what cold is

Take a look here at post #7 in the thread attached below. It will allow you to narrow it down to battery, alternator or both, but if your battery voltage dipped below 9.4 volts, pull it, bring it to an auto parts store and confirm it's dead. Not knowing how old it is leaves this a bit open ended. Also did you install the battery or inherit it with your purchase of the car. P.O. may have never tended to the battery.

Battery life can be amazing when you keep them on a maintainer, but they still have limits. I replaced the OEM battery in my car this year, so roughly 9 years old? That is definitely not common.

Anyway, give this a read:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-flat-173514/

Old 12-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm far from saying it's not the battery or alternator, I just wanted to see if there was something else it might be before going and buying a new one. It's the battery that came with the car, so it is getting up there in the years, but I've had quite a few batteries last a whole lot longer.

Thanks for hte link, I'll give it a read.