XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ever Driven or Owned an E-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ever Driven or Owned an E-Type?

Peeps, I have been considering getting a classic car to tinker, drive, pamper and perhaps get attached to. I think E type coupes are gorgeous and I have heard they drive great - even Jay thinks so. I would only get a 4spd.

But what are they really like to drive and own? Is the steering super loose like an old luxury car or is there actually feel? Do they sound good? Do they rattle like crap? Do I want a 6 or a 12?

I wonder which would be more enjoyable to own a 67-71 stingray,

Who has driven or owned one?

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (01-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Peeps, I have been considering getting a classic car to tinker, drive, pamper and perhaps get attached to. I think E type coupes are gorgeous and I have heard they drive great - even Jay thinks so. I would only get a 4spd.

But what are they really like to drive and own? Is the steering super loose like an old luxury car or is there actually feel? Do they sound good? Do they rattle like crap? Do I want a 6 or a 12?

I traded my 63 Stingray convert. for a 66 XKE coupe. Great car and great fun to drive. Handled better than the vette but a little down on power from the vette. I had a 327 340HP and the E was 265HP but a little lighter. The 66 had the 4.2L with 3 SU's and all syncro 4sp. It was Maroon with black interior. My wife loved it and liked to drive it. I put 100K on it and burned a valve then did a valve job. Ended up selling it when the rocker panels rotted out. This was back in 68. Oh the 66 , 67 had the glass over the headlights and I believe the 68 changed due to US DOT laws.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Consider finding and restoring a 1955-1957 Jaguar XK140...

A 55', 56' or 57' in pristine restored condition is priced between $125,000 and
$150,000.

You can find a project XK140 for about $25,000 to $30,000.

It would be lots of fun to restore and you would own a real CLASSIC brand.

Attached Thumbnails Ever Driven or Owned an E-Type?-1957_jaguar_xk140.jpeg   Ever Driven or Owned an E-Type?-xk140-010-542x404.jpg   Ever Driven or Owned an E-Type?-jaguar-xk140-56.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

My uncle had red E type convertible. I think it was Series II? Was headache and he was constantly fixing it. They have to be driven regularly which I think his was not. Things like the wiring be soldered to the gauges made for plenty of tinkering. I asked several times for a ride in it, but never got one. Think I'll let him drive my XK? Nope....

The Jag indy shop I go to has a few E Types that I think are for sale. With prices climbing on many "antique" cars and the Jaguar brand becoming more en vogue; the E Type I predict to increase in value pretty well over the next 5 years.

PM me if you want their contact.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I had a 69 XKE back in the day. I was a delight to drive. The feel and sound were outstanding. It was not a 0 to 60 winner but the sound at 105 mph was electrifying. I had come from an MGB so I thought the reliability was OK.

Watch out for the wire wheels. If they are out of "tune" the repair cost is quite high. Mine got out of round and the only fix was to re spoke. Dang!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Pe I think E type coupes are gorgeous and I have heard they drive great - even Jay thinks so. I would only get a 4spd.

XKE or 60s-70s Stingray? Hmmmm. Tough call.

Due to the nature of my work I get to drive both. I always return with an an equally broad smile on my face no matter which one I pick.

Both are icons, both have a very un-modern feel (obviously), both are fun. We could spend hours on point-by-point comparisons of each car but that seems less important now than it did 40-50 years ago....when a very real Corvette vs. Jag 'rivalry' existed.

If you plan to do much driving you might wanna make sure you actually fit into the XKE. They're a bit cramped inside.

My dream would be to own both but if I had to choose just ONE, I'd prefer the Corvette.....although I personally would seek out a 1963-67 model. I find the Corvette more comfortable and I think most people would find them easier to own.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker

Watch out for the wire wheels. If they are out of "tune" the repair cost is quite high. Mine got out of round and the only fix was to re spoke. Dang!
I believe you mean out of "true", no?

Plus, the wire wheels are a handful to clean.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Back when I was in high school my father had a '64 Stingray coupe and my best friend's older brother had a '66 XKE convertible so I got to drive both frequently. As I recall, the Vette was a beast compared to the XKE, but the Jag was the better chick magnet! Too bad Jaguar isn't into the retro thing--I would love to see them come out with a special edition new XKE that looked identical but had everything mechanical and electrical updated. I bet they would sell a bunch of those--there has never been a more attractive body on a car.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An E-type in good condition is a great touring car. they have a very comfortable ride, firm handling and tight steering. They are not as tossable as a Miata. I was very impressed how well a 50 year old car compared to modern cars, in terms of ride and handling.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Add Cobra to the mix. Always loved them. A buddy just picked a cherry which reminded me.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two '67 Corvette roadsters, one a small block and one a big block. Although I've never owned an E-type, I have been in and driven several back when they were new. Some basics: An E-type is quieter and delivers its power much more sophisticated than does a Vette. A Corvette is all "blow-and-go" when it comes to acceleration--lots of racket, tire burning, a bear of a car to handle with a rock-crusher transmission.

The Jaguar, on the other hand, quietly simply pushes you back into the seat, the front of of the car raises, and the transmission is silky smooth. Power is exhilarating, but not as powerful or as fast as either a SB or BB Vette. Simply put, the Jaguar is much more refined and handles with a finger touch as opposed to a Corvette's ham-handiness.

Unless you buy a 6-cylinder E-type, I would never buy an E-type. 12 cylinders sound like a sexy idea, but they're horrible engines in the dependability and reliability departments. If you ever looked inside a Jaguar V-12 engine, the pistons are a tiny 2.5" in diameter. Someone else already discussed the interior size of an E-type; a 63-67 Vette has much more room.

A C2 (63-67) Corvette, IMO, solidly trounces the E-type in performance and reliability, and parts are reasonable and readily available. Probably the only reason to buy an E-type over a C2 Corvette is looks.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

There's a place in Austin that is dedicated to rebuilding E Types. Not sure the name, but must known on E Type forum here.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Don't virtually all of the Series III (V12) E-Types come with an automatic transmission? That would be a huge turnoff for me.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Don't virtually all of the Series III (V12) E-Types come with an automatic transmission? That would be a huge turnoff for me.

The auto trans was popular but I wouldn't say 'virtually all'. I've seen many with the manual transmission. I'm sure someone out there has the numbers. My guess would be 40-50% were automatics

Cheers
DD

Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by lspencer534
I have two '67 Corvette roadsters, one a small block and one a big block. Although I've never owned an E-type, I have been in and driven several back when they were new. Some basics: An E-type is quieter and delivers its power much more sophisticated than does a Vette. A Corvette is all "blow-and-go" when it comes to acceleration--lots of racket, tire burning, a bear of a car to handle with a rock-crusher transmission.

The Jaguar, on the other hand, quietly simply pushes you back into the seat, the front of of the car raises, and the transmission is silky smooth. Power is exhilarating, but not as powerful or as fast as either a SB or BB Vette. Simply put, the Jaguar is much more refined and handles with a finger touch as opposed to a Corvette's ham-handiness.

Unless you buy a 6-cylinder E-type, I would never buy an E-type. 12 cylinders sound like a sexy idea, but they're horrible engines in the dependability and reliability departments. If you ever looked inside a Jaguar V-12 engine, the pistons are a tiny 2.5" in diameter. Someone else already discussed the interior size of an E-type; a 63-67 Vette has much more room.

A C2 (63-67) Corvette, IMO, solidly trounces the E-type in performance and reliability, and parts are reasonable and readily available. Probably the only reason to buy an E-type over a C2 Corvette is looks.
Very accurate description from my experience with a '70 XKE, and others who owned the Vette.

Series 3 XKE came out part way through 1971 with auto and 4 speed, but before ending in 1974 they were only available with an automatic as I recall. A pre-1968 Series 1 with 3.8 or 4.2L with the triple SU carbs would be my choice, or a 1971 V12 with minimal pollution controls if you really wanted the larger engine.

But if you want a reliable driver for the long term I'd choose something else.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, a 66 convertible. Purely a weekend toy and it helps to be thin.The door jambs tear your clothes and the steering wheel is sculpture.
Nothing else draws such a crowd.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Back in the 70's I had a series 1.5 E Type as a toy. It was great fun and served the purpose well. Then I got divorced and the toy had to go. If I were to do it again today some 40 years later. I would buy a "good driver" that has been restored. I would stick with the series 1.5 (66-68) with the three SUs. They had minimal anti-pollution equipment. Be prepared to layout 45-90k for a good one. Oh and one more thing, only the roadster.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Back in the 70's I had a series 1.5 E Type as a toy. It was great fun and served the purpose well. Then I got divorced and the toy had to go. If I were to do it again today some 40 years later. I would buy a "good driver" that has been restored. I would stick with the series 1.5 (66-68) with the three SUs. They had minimal anti-pollution equipment. Be prepared to layout 45-90k for a good one. Oh and one more thing, only the roadster.
Wasn't the Series 1.5 just 1968 where it had the glass covered headlights of the S1 '61-67 and introduced the twin Stromberg carbs and below bumper rear lights of the S2 '69-71?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I may be mistaken, but I would've sworn the 1.5 came out in very late 67. Having said that, I think that was the best model of all the e types.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

one other thing that I forgot. the 1.5 had a 4.2 motor and I believe the gear box was all sincromesh.

Quick Reply: Ever Driven or Owned an E-Type?