Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade

Hi Guys
Sorry if this has been asked already. Wasn't able to find info.
I want to change my exhaust system to one that will give my xkr a better exhaust note.........want to make her growl!! Who has done a mod to their xkr and what did you do. I am thinking about buying a complete system say Miltek and shipping it out to NZ. Any advice greatly received. .......Cheers

Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I just made a custom cat-back exhaust. I removed all the small piping and used bigger piping and resonators. I kept the factory cats, and I even removed the muffler, so no more active exhaust. I replaced the muffler with two extra resonators. The sound is exquisite without being too loud. Not too much drone also. Good luck...

Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 PM

From what i have found out so far Miltek and Quicksilver seem to be the main players for the xkr.
DJ i am looking into a custom system. Something along the lines of the Quicksilver system.
They have a centre muffler only. Does removing the active gear from the rear muffler cause any fault codes to pop up? What did you do about the piping etc back there? cheers.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM

I started at the cats and removed everything. I then remade new pipes with a larger diameter. I put 2 new resonators on each line (4) and removed the muffler. I added 2 more smaller resonators where the muffler used to be to deepen the sound. I just sealed up the vacuum hoses that were used to power the active exhaust on the oem muffler. No warning lights or anything weird by doing so. I added quad black chrome pipes for a nice finish. Sounds great with or without those extra 2 resonators but I'm picky...

Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the reply to my many questions I may go down the custom route myself. Will let you know how i get on. I will take a before and after sound check if anyone is interested......Cheers

Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

What would you recommend for the XJR. I'm in California so passing smog is imperative. I'm quite happy with the stock performance however would like a bit more "note". Thanks

Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by muncher
... I want to change my exhaust system to one that will give my xkr a better exhaust note.........want to make her growl!! ...
muncher,

Before spending for an new exhaust system, you might want to try removing fuse 19 and see if that exhaust note tickles your fancy (wherever that may be!). With fuse 19 removed, the muffler valves remain in the open position. Very easy to do. See this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-19-a-62736/

Stuart

Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by djgold
I started at the cats and removed everything. I then remade new pipes with a larger diameter. I put 2 new resonators on each line (4) and removed the muffler. I added 2 more smaller resonators where the muffler used to be to deepen the sound. I just sealed up the vacuum hoses that were used to power the active exhaust on the oem muffler. No warning lights or anything weird by doing so. I added quad black chrome pipes for a nice finish. Sounds great with or without those extra 2 resonators but I'm picky...
So are the first two resonators at the same locations along the pipe as the old center muffler and before axle mufflers? And a third resonator where the backbox used to be? As in:

Code:
========|||||||=============||||||||=====|||||||==
Brand and model number of the resonators?

Old 10-26-2012, 02:57 AM

Thanks Stuart. Have you pulled that fuse. Did it make much difference. I read somewhere that the engine light comes on if you do that. Not sure how true that is.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default search milltek cats

Do a search for Milltek Cats and you'll find a sound clip of my set up with b/4 and after.

Stock exhaust, Milltek Cats and pulled fuse 19; No fault codes.

The nice thing about doing the Cats only is I can still activate or deactivate the active exhaust by removing/replacing fuse 19.

I may only change out the tips now for an improved look flling in the rear apron.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by plums
So are the first two resonators at the same locations along the pipe as the old center muffler and before axle mufflers? And a third resonator where the backbox used to be? As in:

Code:

========|||||||=============||||||||=====|||||||==
Brand and model number of the resonators?

Your diagram is correct. I used magnaflow resonators 2.5 x 14 inches for the first two and used smaller no name stainless resonators for the rear. Really sounds good, I'll get a pic and sound clip real soon. BTW, I'm wondering how removing a fuse could open up the exhausts full time. The active exhaust seems like its only vacuum hoses that response to throttle pressure and/or rpm... Not sure what a fuse would power in this case??

The following users liked this post:
plums (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by muncher
Thanks Stuart. Have you pulled that fuse. Did it make much difference. I read somewhere that the engine light comes on if you do that. Not sure how true that is.
Muncher,

Yes, I pulled fuse 19 and yes it makes a noticeable difference. I've been driving without fuse 19 for over a year and never had the check engine light or any other faults displayed.

Keep in mind that the XKR was designed to be a proper British gentleman's sporting car and, as such, a raucous exhaust in the city would be rude and unacceptable. But, as a serious performance machine, R owners expect maximium power and a corresponding exhaust note. Hence, the active exhaust and split personality.

The typical brash Yank is the opposite of the reserved Brit. That's why we Yanks pull fuse 19. Looks like Kiwis are more like Yanks. Even if you pull fuse 19, you can still sound civil if you wish. Just drive like there's a raw egg between your right foot and the "exhilarator" pedal.

I prefer the exhaust note without fuse 19 and won't put it back any time soon. It adds to the thrill I get every time I drive my XKR.

Try it; if you don't like it, it's easy enought to put back. Let us know what you think.

Stuart

Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

When I first got my XK I wanted to change the exhaust, but after 6 months, I think they got it right and am happy the way it is.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 AM

Stuart your right makes a noticable difference. No fault codes either. I think I still want more!! I think I will end up with s custom exhaust. Cheers

Old 10-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I did the fuse it was no where near enough, just sounded like a blown exhaust.

My aftermarket exhaust lets you hear that V8. Lovely deep burble upon start up, an throbbing 'bark' when reaching the power band.
Well worth every penny spent.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulled fuse 19 about a year ago. Exactly the right amount of growl for me inside the cabin. Never had a complaint outside the cabin.

No warning light ever came on.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Sorry Guys,

What exactly happens when fuse 19 is pulled? ...I'm intrigued and want to try this!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xk in DXB
Sorry Guys,

What exactly happens when fuse 19 is pulled? ...I'm intrigued and want to try this!!!
Pulling fuse 19 works with 4.2L XKRs, which have "fully active" (electically controlled) exhausts. Pulling fuse 19 keeps the the bypass valve/flap in the muffler in the the open position, thereby resulting in a louder "straight through" exhaust sound. Otherwise, that valve opens and closes based on throttle position and engine rpms. I think the 5.0L XKRs work the same way, but I'm not sure.

For details, click on this link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-19-a-62736/ and see posts #7 and #10. Very easy to do.

Normally aspirated 4.2L XKs have a "semi-active" exhaust that opens and closes the bypass valve/flap depending on exhaust back pressure. That bypass is controlled mechanically by exhaust back pressure, and not electrically, so fuse 19 does not apply.

Stuart

Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 PM

Any idea if it works on the normally aspirated 2010 5.0L XK??

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are looking for a great sound on a budget... $200 at a shop

I removed both of the center resonators, and installed an X-pipe. I then put in a switch to control fuse 19

when open, the sound is what you would expect from a car like ours. aggressive and exotic. I would say over all 30-50% louder than stock

When closed it is quite. no noticeable change from stock

Open and close, i hear no drone. then again, i did not notice the drone before any changes either...

When i get some free time, i will see about recording a sound clip.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade