Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally purchased an XKR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Finally purchased an XKR!!!

Hi Forum, I finally got my XKR. Its a 2010 convertible select edition, black with charcoal interior. Had to have that extra bit of warranty. Learned that lesson with my STR. I bought it in GA and drove it back to AZ. Wow, what a car. I've read many a posts here and watched many videos, but nothing comes close to actual experience. This car is a beast, a well behaved beast. I can easily see how a person can lose their license. This car requires a very disciplined mind, but what a ride!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Pics or ban... you know better!

The following 2 users liked this post by R_Rated:
bklynchris (01-16-2014), P888PSG (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Hi Forum, I finally got my XKR. Its a 2010 convertible select edition, black with charcoal interior. Had to have that extra bit of warranty. Learned that lesson with my STR. I bought it in GA and drove it back to AZ. Wow, what a car. I've read many a posts here and watched many videos, but nothing comes close to actual experience. This car is a beast, a well behaved beast. I can easily see how a person can lose their license. This car requires a very disciplined mind, but what a ride!!!
Awesome....glad your enjoying the new ride. Post a few pics.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Great another modder Now where are the pics!

bklynchris (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Hi Forum, I finally got my XKR. Its a 2010 convertible select edition, black with charcoal interior. Had to have that extra bit of warranty. Learned that lesson with my STR. I bought it in GA and drove it back to AZ. .........
That would be around 1800 miles? I hope you took some photos on the way.

Great way to get to know the car and have some fun.

Enjoy it.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
bklynchris (01-16-2014), MaximA (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Welcome, you have a great car and joined a wonderful community!!

bklynchris (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I do have some pics but my USB cable died. I'll post some in a day or so. Just need to run out an get a new cable.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

............. Just need to run out an get a new cable.
That'll be from a supplier in CA so you have to take the XKR?

Graham

bklynchris (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

If you have any modding questions let us know, quite a few of us have various trials and tribulations with these great cars.

bklynchris (01-19-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Can I ask how much you paid?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Sure what what parts as I sourced them from different suppliers, and had one shop install them.

bklynchris (01-19-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
That'll be from a supplier in CA so you have to take the XKR?

Graham
Absolutely!! You read my mind.

GGG (01-17-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sts-v
Can I ask how much you paid?

Its a select edition, 53k.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
If you have any modding questions let us know, quite a few of us have various trials and tribulations with these great cars.
Hi Maxima, I'm thinking about doing a tune, exhaust and pulley to start off with. Is there a consensus on which tune is better or best? I was thinking about going with ETG for the tune, but then I read RSC and other vendors are doing it for1/2 the cost and are actually better. I'm thinking Quicksilver for the exhaust and probably Mina galleries for the pulley mod. I wanted to do both upper and lower pulleys, any thoughts or suggestions?I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

very cool! where in AZ are you? phx/tempe area (XKR vert owner too) if you need a good indi shop let me know. maybe i will see you at cars and coffee

bklynchris (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by desert_fox
very cool! where in AZ are you? phx/tempe area (XKR vert owner too) if you need a good indi shop let me know. maybe i will see you at cars and coffee

HI Desert Fox, Yes I am in the Phx/Tempe area. I don't know of a good indi shop yet, but I will let you know if I find one. I'm not familiar with cars and coffee, but anything involving cars...I'm there.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey desert_fox. I too, am in the Phx metro area, specifically Gilbert. New (to me) 08 xkr coupe owner. Would love to know of a good local indy. Please share if you have a good one.

Have never been to cars and coffee but had wanted too for awhile. Is that at gainey ranch?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I live right downtown tempe (On Mill FYI) Cars and coffee is fun. typically yes at Gainey Ranch. a lot of Jag guys there.

I have no affiliation with this shop or gentlemen but on car forums it is a great place to locate indi shops. I found him via google.

Jaguar Repair by Sports & Collector Car Center in Tempe, AZ | JagShops.com

Sports & Collector Car Center

942 W. 1st Street
Tempe, AZ 85281

if you search my name you can find the whole story but here is what happened
1. battery died on my car. I got the battery replaced by Sun Devil Auto. they did a good job but they stated they do not have the machines or codes to re-program the car. "go see your jag dealer" makes 100% sense
2. go to N Scottsdale Jag; they re-program my car and then they tell me the top needs a new special pump. my car had 14k miles on it and the day before the top worked. seemed so fishy and wrong.....

***top didnt work at all and said i was looking at $3k in work "these are complicated cars" really.... roll eyes. this isnt a Mig29. its a freakin rag top on car that has had the same convertible motor since the prior generation. they either wanted to take me for a fool or didnt think to top off the hydraulic fluid. i was going to write a compliant to penske but i am so busy with life it slipped out of my mind.

3. google'd jag indi shops and found this place. like most indi shops typically near an industrial area etc (happened to be walking distance to my place, but even if I lived in N scottsdale, id go here) so Joe said it was no big deal just my hydraulic pump was leaking a bit. he topped it off and had me on my way 1 day later.
4. service was great and I had my oil changed there a few months back
5. old school shop with good PERSONAL service and I will drop off my car in 3-4 months again

fyi if you never used an indi shop for any car; think old school way of business. my indi BMW Babbit motor werks is just like this. good service, industrial strip etc.

anyone want to go for a cruise or meet up - ping me and glad to go!

Last edited by desert_fox; 01-20-2014 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by desert_fox:
bklynchris (01-20-2014), lesball2 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I hate modding cars, but if I had to make a mod, it would be to the exhaust. The exhaust is just too darn quiet on these cars. Even unplugging the Fuse 19 (I think that only works on 4.2L models), which makes the quad exhaust open full-time, the car is too darn quiet. And with the convertible roof down, I still have to listen hard to hear the exhaust unless I am really at WOT at high RPM. Or I'm in a tunnel.

bklynchris (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by desert_fox
I live right downtown tempe (On Mill FYI) Cars and coffee is fun. typically yes at Gainey Ranch. a lot of Jag guys there.

I have no affiliation with this shop or gentlemen but on car forums it is a great place to locate indi shops. I found him via google.

Jaguar Repair by Sports & Collector Car Center in Tempe, AZ | JagShops.com

Sports & Collector Car Center

942 W. 1st Street
Tempe, AZ 85281

if you search my name you can find the whole story but here is what happened
1. battery died on my car. I got the battery replaced by Sun Devil Auto. they did a good job but they stated they do not have the machines or codes to re-program the car. "go see your jag dealer" makes 100% sense
2. go to N Scottsdale Jag; they re-program my car and then they tell me the top needs a new special pump. my car had 14k miles on it and the day before the top worked. seemed so fishy and wrong.....

***top didnt work at all and said i was looking at $3k in work "these are complicated cars" really.... roll eyes. this isnt a Mig29. its a freakin rag top on car that has had the same convertible motor since the prior generation. they either wanted to take me for a fool or didnt think to top off the hydraulic fluid. i was going to write a compliant to penske but i am so busy with life it slipped out of my mind.

3. google'd jag indi shops and found this place. like most indi shops typically near an industrial area etc (happened to be walking distance to my place, but even if I lived in N scottsdale, id go here) so Joe said it was no big deal just my hydraulic pump was leaking a bit. he topped it off and had me on my way 1 day later.
4. service was great and I had my oil changed there a few months back
5. old school shop with good PERSONAL service and I will drop off my car in 3-4 months again

fyi if you never used an indi shop for any car; think old school way of business. my indi BMW Babbit motor werks is just like this. good service, industrial strip etc.

anyone want to go for a cruise or meet up - ping me and glad to go!

Thanks for the info. I've had poor experiences with Jaguar N. Scottsdale myself with my STR. So much so that I went out of state to get my XKR. I did complain to Penske, who seemed concerned, but that dealership has left a very sour taste in my mouth and I will go there only if absolutely necessary. To give you a "for instance", they tried to charge me over 5k to replace my fuel injectors stating that was the cause of my CEL being on and the car going into limp home mode. I took it to Brake Masters and they said I had a bad CAT, I replaced that for $200 bucks and havent had a problem since. That was almost a year ago. 200 bucks vs 5k. Wow. Guys that don't normally work on Jags found the inexpensive problem in 5 minutes whereas they had my car for a week! And this is just 1 instance, there are several. Anyway, thanks again for the info and if you guys want to meet up, let me know...I'm game

Quick Reply: Finally purchased an XKR!!!