XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

First XKR purchase; help with identifying engine noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm flying out on Friday to pick up a Claret Red 2010 XKR coupe with a black/walnut interior.

The bad news is that Cee Jay won't have the only visible XKR in the area any more.

I'll be sure to start a proper introduction thread with pictures Friday evening.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:22 PM

Queen and Country, I completely agree with everything you said. That is the exact impression I got over the last year of lurking on here and other boards. I've set $4500 aside for repairs, should they come up. But aside from a water pump and crossover pipe, I don't expect it to cost me any more than tires and routine attention.

I am, needless to say, stoked. :-D

Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Mandrake,
Are you picking up that gorgeous one in Oregon that was priced so low, I almost sprung for my third XKR? That color is spectacular. Enjoy!!!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 PM

The one in Ashland? Yessir, that's the one, and thank you. My stoke meter is pegged. I got it for a fair bit less than asking, too.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

That car was advertised on the forum classifieds a couple of months back, and I had to restrain myself from adding it. The car is gorgeous, and what a bargain even at the asking, so anything below that is a wonderful purchase. Congratulations!!! (Funny thing is I looked at it again, yesterday, on ebay and still lusted over it.)

Old 05-31-2017, 11:04 PM

Googling the VIN pulls up a ton of listing both current and expired. He sure worked hard to sell it, that's for sure.

Thank you again for the congrats, and thank you for restraining yourself because otherwise I'd still be looking.

If you ever make your way up this way for a track day at Miller, er... Utah Motorsports Campus, the day garage is on me because I'll probably be out there.

Last edited by Mandrake; 05-31-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Some of the best drives are going south on PCH from there, then cut across.
I hate 84 to UT. Just took it 2 months ago.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

You'll have a good time at the track with the XKR, I've taken mine many times (although not in the past year, just too busy). Buttonwillow, Sonoma, and Spring Mountain (in Nevada) mostly, lots of fun. But actially you'll just enjoy driving it around town everyday, very civilized but knowing the pent up potential under your right foot. Enjoy.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

↑ Best post of the day!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
But actially you'll just enjoy driving it around town everyday, very civilized but knowing the pent up potential under your right foot. Enjoy.
I've yet to drive one. Thus far, my only experience with one was riding in Cee Jay's and aside from the sensory overload from the Himalayan- sized mountain of thrust and virtual brick wall of braking, what struck me the most about the behavior of the car was its duality. On one hand when driven like a normal person, it's dignified and refined- a car you could pick your grandmother up from church in and she'd say, "oh, that's nice." There was no sense of urgency, of having to pull in on the reins constantly, or of always being cautious about accidentally ending up 30 MPH over. When you relax, it too relaxes. But on the other hand, when given the what for, it just explodes. Jeremy Clarkson said it best- it's not an engine; it's a nuclear bomb.

I've had many motorcycles capable of low 10's and high 9's in the 1/4 and that top out at 170- 190 MPH, and they're all the same- one short moment of inattention to speed and you're going to jail if you get caught. While these cars have the capability to do that, it didn't seem like it wanted to do that the way the bikes do.

Last edited by Mandrake; 06-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Some of the best drives are going south on PCH from there, then cut across.
I hate 84 to UT. Just took it 2 months ago.
Oh no, I'm not heading through Burns, OR or taking Rt 20 and then down 84. From Ashland, I'm heading east through Klamath Falls and will pick up I-80 in Winnemucca, NV. Looking at the maps, there appears to be several hundred miles of twisty two lane before it drops down to Winnemucca. I couldn't ask for a better route to get to know the car on our first date- a combination of mountain twisties and relaxed high speed highway cruising.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts

Mandrake - I couldn't be happier for you! I'm sure you'll love your Cat as much as the rest of us love ours. My only regret is not getting to meet you! Welcome to the club!

Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,191 Likes on 3,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Oh no, I'm not heading through Burns, OR or taking Rt 20 and then down 84. From Ashland, I'm heading east through Klamath Falls and will pick up I-80 in Winnemucca, NV. Looking at the maps, there appears to be several hundred miles of twisty two lane before it drops down to Winnemucca. I couldn't ask for a better route to get to know the car on our first date- a combination of mountain twisties and relaxed high speed highway cruising.
I must now say it.........
The portion of I-80 between the Bonneville Salt Flats (mile marker four I think) but go past the Rest Stop at mm 10, and Knolls UT at mm 41 are absolutely (because of nothing but salt for miles upon miles) FLAT, STRAIGHT, NO WILDLIFE, NO FLORA, NO INTERSECTIONS, VERY LIGHT TRAFFIC, and best of all, out of the hundred-plus times I've driven it..... ZERO LAW ENFORCEMENT.
........just sayin'.........
I had my 1995 supercharged Mustang up to 177 mph in that stretch, but it was 15+ years ago so you can't do anything to me now.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
No. Look it up- you will thank me.
Take 199 to PCH 101- which turns into 80 (kinda)
What a drive right by the ocean and through the redwoods.
Odds are you will have to pay to ship your car there if you ever want to do it again.
Its an IQ test.

On second thoughts...Kalmath Fall is better on first trip. Lots of switchbacks through redwoods, will wear you out since you wont be familiar with the car yet.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-01-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Second Thoughts
Old 06-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
.......Kalmath Fall is better on first trip. Lots of switchbacks through redwoods, will wear you out since you wont be familiar with the car yet.
Totally agree.... do NOT play with Sport Mode combined with Dynamic mode until you're a bit more familiar/comfortable and in a more controlled environment, and DEFINITELY a lot closer to home, for obvious reasons.
Also, don't forget to check the dates on the tires. Don't want to drive like a lunatic with old shoes and throw cord out the back.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Snide72- my parents live in VT and my sister in ME, so if I take a trip back in the summer, I will certainly let you know.

Queen and Country- it'd be a terrible shame to take a week off later in the summer or next to spend a week touring all the roads in NorCal that I unfortunately don't have time to hit this round. Also, I want to become familiar with the car on roads and a track that I've spent years learning the lines on. And on that note- aviation and motorcycle racing has taught me to respect the machine at all times, to stay two steps ahead, maintain smooth control inputs, and to commit. I was reading the owners manual last night, and theres a lot of unfamiliar features and capabilities, so my limits in this car are quite low for the time being. Also, I've unfortunately had to witness to a noob with paper plates on an R1 turn himself quite literally into a pile of wet hamburger meat up in the canyons years ago... I've no intentions of being that guy in this car, ever.

Cee Jay- it has Michelin on it... am I going to die? Lol...

Last edited by Mandrake; 06-01-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 900 Posts

Mandrake - Welcome aboard. Not only have you found a great XKR you get to drive it home on the roads that it was meant for. What a great learning experience. After you arrive home in Utah, please give us a recap of the trip and some photos.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Mandrake,
Don't let anyone convince you to avoid sport and dynamic mode, mine has never been out of sport mode and mostly in dynamic mode as well. It's urgent, and the most notable difference is the much crisper transmission shifts. In other words, "IT'S FUN!" While the XKR is not a made for the track car, it's certainly a capable performer which will give you great enjoyment on the track, trolling through canyon twisties, or just doing your daily chores around town, all done with a level of civility and power that don't often come together.

Attached Thumbnails First XKR purchase; help with identifying engine noise.-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg   First XKR purchase; help with identifying engine noise.-group-b-star-mazda-cp4_2163-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg  
Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Mandrake,
Don't let anyone convince you to avoid sport and dynamic mode.....................
I merely stated that he shouldn't get crazy so far from home with something he doesn't know yet. Best to wait a bit until he's comfortable with it. It's easy to get sideways on sharp turns (and in parking lots), and sometimes solid objects cause damage. Being 600 miles from home is not a good place to bend a wheel or cause wonky alignment.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

I meant it "tongue in cheek," that he wouldn't enjoy all the "fun" on his maiden voyage home. Wasn't being real serious.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-01-2017)