XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

flashing drive indicator ??

Old 10-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default flashing drive indicator ??

Yesterday I took a corner very sharply and coming out of the turn my transmission went into neutral and the D on the shift *** started flashing. I turned the *** to neutral and back to drive and everything was fine. Does anyone know what that was about?

2011 XK

Old 10-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

It's possible that there's a slightly loose connector that shifted during your hard manoeuvring and gave a false signal. The jaguar Drive selector has a bunch of 'modes' that it can go into, particularly if it is not quite sure what is going on. That sounds a bit like 'soft lock' mode, though the way you normally get into that is nothing like you've described:

If the JaguarDrive selector is rotated slowly from P to S and back to position P with the brake pedal pressed, the R or D position display letter in the message center will flash and the transmission will remain in park or neutral depending on the previous starting position of the selector.
If the brake pedal is released when R or D is flashing in the message center and the JaguarDrive selector is rotated to the R or D position, the required range will not be selected and the transmission will remain in park or neutral, depending on the previous starting position. This feature is known as soft lock.
If the driving range letter in the message center is flashing and the vehicle has no drive, the driver should depress the brake pedal to reselect N or P, and then select the required driving range while the brake pedal remains pressed.
If the transmission receives a range change request without the brake pedal pressed, the TCM initiates a soft lock function. The transmission will remain in park or neutral, depending on the starting position.
If a transmission position letter is flashing in the message center and the vehicle has no drive, the driver must:
  •  Press the brake pedal.
  •  Reselect N or P on the JaguarDrive selector.
  •  Select the required driving range, ensuring that the brake pedal is pressed.
Sorry, I know that doesn't really help much, but it does suggest that having flashing gear indicators is not necessarily a fault as such. However, I don't think it should be happening when you're not touching the selector!

The following users liked this post:
hughey (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the response. You are right in that it doesn't sound like my situation, but who knows. I was braking pretty sharply and made a very hard right turn, but didn't feel as if there was any loss of control. Just coming out of the turn when I stepped on the accelerator the engine revved and the D was flashing. I didn't depress the brake pedal when I shifted into neutral and then back to drive that I remember as I was still moving, but maybe I did without thinking. Hopefully it won't happen again.