XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Found an iPod adapter under center console - How to make it work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found an iPod adapter under center console - How to make it work?

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased an XKR after my XK8 was hit and destroyed, I absolutely love the car! I discovered the other day that under the center console armrest under the rubber mat, there is a iPhone/iPod adapter plugged into something (cord leads to the front of the car , my guess is behind the radio?). When I first drove it I noticed that when using the FM radio the car would always stop at 88.3 so I thought this cord may have been hardwired as a FM Modulator. When I plug the phone into the cord, the screen turns on, but doesn't charge nor play music through the mentioned channel, the car now no longer stops at 88.3.

This is the cord in question - anyone have an idea on how I can get this working? When I search online the cord was usually part of a kit. I'm not sure where to begin looking. Additionally the iPhone has a lighting adapter not the 30 pin - So I went and bought the 30pin-lightong attachment and nothing happens - could that be the issue?

Here is the link I found that has the same cord, but i'm not sure if the cord is ever sold individually or always in a kit.

Amazon Amazon

Any tips/advice on how I can get this working would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by rhemler; 03-06-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

few things to mention here...

Apple (in their pain in the *** infinite wisdom!) changed the charging pins on the 30 pin connectors... I believe just before the iphone 4. you can get an adaptor that changes the pins back to allow them to charge either directly or through a convertor... they cost about £8 but you end up with multiple adaptors...

the device you have is an FM transmitter, it needs to be connected to the antenna port on the car and passes through the signal from the antenna when not in use for ipod. Since your scan stopped at 88.3 its highly likely that this was working. have you found the on off switch located anywhere? you can see it in the picture in the amazon link.

finally is the lightening to 30 pin adaptor genuine apple? many of the aftermarket ones dont work well on updated versions of IOS. Personally I'd test it with a 30 pin device (ipod or iphone) if you can borrow one from someone?

The following users liked this post:
rhemler (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

What year XKR, 2007 or 2008? It's not in your public profile or signature. Factory iPod connectivity with steering wheel controls started in 2009.

The first version of the OEM iPod cable (2009) did not simultaneously play and charge. The second version (2010) cable added simultaneous charging. As a much less expensive alternative to the new cable, I added a Scosche adapter and now my old iPod Nano simultaneously plays and charges.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Nico
few things to mention here...

Apple (in their pain in the *** infinite wisdom!) changed the charging pins on the 30 pin connectors... I believe just before the iphone 4. you can get an adaptor that changes the pins back to allow them to charge either directly or through a convertor... they cost about £8 but you end up with multiple adaptors...

the device you have is an FM transmitter, it needs to be connected to the antenna port on the car and passes through the signal from the antenna when not in use for ipod. Since your scan stopped at 88.3 its highly likely that this was working. have you found the on off switch located anywhere? you can see it in the picture in the amazon link.

finally is the lightening to 30 pin adaptor genuine apple? many of the aftermarket ones dont work well on updated versions of IOS. Personally I'd test it with a 30 pin device (ipod or iphone) if you can borrow one from someone?
I did purchase the oem 30 pin to lighting right from Apple, no luck. The only thing it did once connected is turn the screen on the phone on when it was plugged in, and my iPhone would continue to play any audio once I hit play without any sound (presumingly in iPod mood).

Now I'm not able to get the radio to stop at the 88.3 - I have a feeling I may have pulled on the cord possibly disconnecting it. My problem is I don't know where this cord even leads.

I have pulled the trunk apart, under both of the back seats and can't find anything.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
What year XKR, 2007 or 2008? It's not in your public profile or signature. Factory iPod connectivity with steering wheel controls started in 2009.

The first version of the OEM iPod cable (2009) did not simultaneously play and charge. The second version (2010) cable added simultaneous charging. As a much less expensive alternative to the new cable, I added a Scosche adapter and now my old iPod Nano simultaneously plays and charges.
Sorry I have to remember to update my signature to include the year. It's a 2008 model. Which perhaps is why I'm not sure where to look to see where this cord is even connected - as all of the information I have been able to dig up only applied to the 2007 (as you can see in this thread; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-labor-88619/ ) model which had the aerial antenna which If I'm correct should have lead me to underneath the rear seats.