XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fron ARB bushes easy to change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Fron ARB bushes easy to change?

Anyone changed the two rubber clamp anti-roll bar bushes?

I think its the cause of some noise when going over bumps and hard to pin point if left or right as it seems to move! Ive checked the drop links and everything else seems to be tight.
Someone told me to try spraying rubber dressing into them first.

Can't believe a bar clamped by rubber could make such a rattle but told it does and age related. Anyone else had this?

I think the part is XR819697 but the genuine part is close to £60 for the pair so not cheap for pieces of rubber!

The bar is on top of the sub frame so looks tight to get tools in so wondered if any tips?

Main dealer has quoted £132 inc the bushes & tax so waying up if worth doing myself to save £72???

Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I've done them on a Super V8 but not the XK. I have enough tools that I could do it from above. It takes time and helped that I had a partner below to set the socket in place. I haven't attempted to even view the links from the top of the engine bay of my XK so my access comment may only apply to the X350.

Check the sway bar first -
Disconnect the end links and tie the end links off with zip ties to prevent anything from hitting the wheels. Drive around the block a few times and see if the noise went away. If the noise is still there, the problem isn't in the sway bar. You've disconnected it from the suspension system so if the problem went away, you're likely right on your diagnosis, though it could also be the end links. I replaced my end links at the same time. They were cheap and it was time.

One last check. Grab the sway bar and move it front to back. Do this on both sides. There should be no forward or rearward movement.

I've read on the x350 forum where others have pulled the wheel well off to gain access. Depending on your tools, this might be an option.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Follow Sean's advice on confirming the problem.

I have changed them on an XJ8 and it was not too difficult.

You can find aftermarket ones for $10 each on ebay. I bought the aftermarket ones and they were still good when I sold the car, 50K miles later. Other than price I don't think there are any significant differences.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey thanks guys, lots to think about then. A good mechanic friend of mine listened and sure it's that but I'm not so sure but everything seems tight. I've sourced a make called Starlite that's meant to be as good as OEM if I need them.