Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

front parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Default front parking sensors

Has anyone installed a front parking sensor system without replacing the front bumper itself? After two months of ownership I still find it difficult to judge distance to curbs when parking my jag. Fortunately i havent hit a curb yet.

I found this solution online and it looks interesting.

No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor

Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

As someone who has ran up on a curb in the front, this is interesting. How difficult is it to remove the front bumper cover on the 07+ XK/R?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if you really have to remove the bumper or can you gain access from underneath. Another thought I had was using a camera and even better was one that allows you to use your phone as the viewfinder. Here is a wireless setup that could work Amazon.com: 4UCam Wireless Vehicle Backup Rear view Camera With Color LCD Monitor + Night Vision: Automotive

The countour GPS camera has the Bluetooth option but is expensive and is overkill

Maybe go old school to the curb feelers from the seventies :-)

Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

So rather than staring a new thread, I would like to ask a similar question:
Been reading the threads on aftermarket solutions and they don't interest me yet...
I,ve looking at an '07 that has the rear sensors but not the fronts, which were an option at the time.
For most of my past vehicle experience, I assume the connections are there on the front harness, just unused? I'd also guess the Dealership would have to go into the ECU and enable that function.
Anyone have experience or knowledge in this area?

Thanks
Vince

Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine shows LESS FRONT PARKING AID on Topix and is also an 07. I have the car on my lift and will take a look shortly. I would imagine it would have all the plumbing there except for the sensors and bumper cover. Probably require enabling at the dealer if you installed it.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like there is a sub-harness that is affixed to the bumper cover on first look at the online manuals. Looks like the sub-harness is not installed on my car.

So it looks like you would need the sub-harness, sensors and holders for them and a new bumper cover already drilled, or bore your own holes. Along with the trip to the dealer for programming, if that's even possible.

Don't know if the sensors and surrounds come painted, my guess would be no. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I have the belly pans off to service the car. That should definitively tell if the harness is there.

I used to be a BMW Bike and Car Master tech, so this is my best guess based on online research and looking at my car.

I am not a Jag tech. My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Id deeply appreciate your input, but that advice price has got to be negotiated a bit OK? Got anything less than free?

So a sub harness is needed... a disappointment but not a game stopper.
Drilling the bumper isn't an issue, and i bet if you were to look on the inside surface of the bumper, manufacturers often mold "dimples" where the drill is to be placed.

Guess I would first try to find a European wrecking yard for the sensors and harness might get lucky on color). Even rear bumper sensors should work (anyone able to verify with part numbers?)

Doesn't sound like anyone has cracked the ECU for a Jag yet which is too bad. I liked having the software to talk to most of the onboard systems of my Audi.

Vince