Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1
Good question papacy...how do those tiles resist to compression?Would a shelf storage leave a permanent mark if you would decide to move them?Ok,perhaps smart to have some spares for that reason...
Because the MotoFloor floats, anything you put on the floor will move around a little bit whenever you drive in and out of the garage. A stand alone shelf storage unit probably would be OK if you anchor it to the wall and put plastic sliders under the legs so when the floor moves the sliders move and not the shelf legs.

The following users liked this post:
Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default nuts and screws disappear

I love my professional applied coating, however, when minor screws bolts washers fall on it.....they disappear!
I had the crew add a slight texture to the finish to make it less slippery.

Attached Thumbnails Garage floor-img_0588.jpg   Garage floor-braelins.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by RedRider48:
mosesbotbol (01-22-2018), Phil1 (01-20-2018), Stuart S (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Ken,

That looks great! How long ago was it done and what was the cost? Any issues with tire rubber sticking to it or being slippery when wet? What shape was your concrete floor in before, and what did they do to prep it? How long did it take from start of prep to completion? How do you keep it so clean? Thanks,

Stuart

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Ken,

That looks great! How long ago was it done and what was the cost? Any issues with tire rubber sticking to it or being slippery when wet? What shape was your concrete floor in before, and what did they do to prep it? How long did it take from start of prep to completion? How do you keep it so clean? Thanks,

Stuart
Yeah Stuart, it's a great finish. I had it installed in the summer of 2014, as I recall, the number was around $2200-$2300. It's the new polyurea finish. In this case the floor was 3 months old. Nothing sticks, nothing peels, it's very durable. Any oils, wipe up easily.
The really cool thing, is they coated the 5.5" baseboards with the same material which creates a waterproof area. This was part of a 400 sq.ft. expansion I did at the time.
They first etched the floor with a cement sanding tool before adding the coating. The second best part...... I could walk on it 8 hours later and drive on the next day. But, as I mentioned littl bits just disappear.
Also had an exterior concrete wall finished for $1400. It's 45 ft L. X 4.5 H. They hand sanded the wall and applied the same coating. These are before and after. They patched minor cracks and breaks prior to applying the finish. Same as the floor.

Attached Thumbnails Garage floor-img_0756.jpg   Garage floor-before-2-.jpg   Garage floor-finished-2-.jpg  

Last edited by RedRider48; 01-19-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Ken

Wow! What a difference on that wall! Together with the garage floor, they're an architectural statement - an improvement and not merely a coverup luke mine. You turned an eyesore into an eye catcher! Nicely done!

Is your XKR ceramic coated? Great shine!

Stuart

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I went with this kind of floor throughout my 24' x 40' shop. It cleans up easily and water does not get through ( important when sleds are in the one bay for the winter). It also does not allow any moisture, that may be come through the floor), to get to any of my cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hare:
Cee Jay (01-20-2018), Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Yeah Stuart, it's a great finish. I had it installed in the summer of 2014, as I recall, the number was around $2200-$2300. It's the new polyurea finish. In this case the floor was 3 months old. Nothing sticks, nothing peels, it's very durable. Any oils, wipe up easily.
The really cool thing, is they coated the 5.5" baseboards with the same material which creates a waterproof area. This was part of a 400 sq.ft. expansion I did at the time.
They first etched the floor with a cement sanding tool before adding the coating. The second best part...... I could walk on it 8 hours later and drive on the next day. But, as I mentioned littl bits just disappear.
Also had an exterior concrete wall finished for $1400. It's 45 ft L. X 4.5 H. They hand sanded the wall and applied the same coatin
g. These are before and after. They patched minor cracks and breaks prior to applying the finish. Same as the floor.
Looks great ! I wish I could do it to my garage, but the thought of taking everything out of it and clearing it for them to prep/apply is ...

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Plus Plus Plus Plus for PolyAspartic (as opposed to epoxy) floor covering - MUST be done by pro and worth EVERY penny. Looks fantastic - clean up (of anything - dirt, grease, salt, AC evap, muddy tracks, tire marks) is as simple as a wet push broom. Had my garage done two years ago (it was built about 15 months prior) and no regrets. One downside (at least here in St Louis) is there are only two color choices - grey or sand. Went with the sand and love it. Good luck. Mike

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
I love my professional applied coating, however, when minor screws bolts washers fall on it.....they disappear!
I had the crew add a slight texture to the finish to make it less slippery.
Absolutely for a working shop, leave those "flakes" in the bag. You want a solid light color like grey or beige so that when you drop a tiny tool or fastener, that you can see it. I've seen sand added for traction, but I wouldn't want to have those sharp grains in case I trip and fall, which I've done in the shop. A bruise is enough without also ripping my skin off. I'd ask the installer about a less aggressive additive.

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

When I did my client's garage years ago, the people at Race Deck were very helpful and sent out a whole sample box that included the different types of tiles and the full color samples so that you could really get an idea of the product. This was done free of charge as I recall, and maybe they still offer this same convenience. I still have my sample box if anyone is interested.

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler
Absolutely for a working shop, leave those "flakes" in the bag. You want a solid light color like grey or beige so that when you drop a tiny tool or fastener, that you can see it. I've seen sand added for traction, but I wouldn't want to have those sharp grains in case I trip and fall, which I've done in the shop. A bruise is enough without also ripping my skin off. I'd ask the installer about a less aggressive additive.
Phil, only had I known regarding those flakes and how they seem to "swallow" those little bits. I may have made a more informed choice. But, I do like the "flakie" look.
So, I'll pass on to those thinking of this finish, you've been warned LOL!

Phil1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you everyone:I have now a better knowledge of what can be done.
I will ask advice as soon as I know what is available on the national market here and perhaps a few pics as the garage will take shape.Thanks again!

Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Speaking of garages:

The following 3 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
kj07xk (02-14-2018), LoudHogRider (02-05-2018), TexasTraveler (02-05-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

This is our garage, done by Garage Experts. Garage Experts Clark House

We had the epoxy floor done, with Large scale chips, instead of the small ones, It gives a little more texture so you don't slip. We love it.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Another option that many of the big box store do now is polish their concrete floors before setting up the interior. The process is akin to using a huge disc sander to grind away the top layer of concrete and leaves a very nice smooth finish. Again, it becomes a slip hazard when wet but looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZMMqZ7ya8
I have a polished concrete floor in my garage. I am very happy with my choice. Another option is to do an epoxy floor. I don't recommend tiles, they break and crack very quickly.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

If you're talking about a porcelain or ceramic tile floor, I agree that they can easily break, crack, or chip, particularly if a hammer or any other heavy object falls on it. Some porcelain tile is suitable for outdoor use, but I'd never use it for a garage floor.

But MotoFloor and Race Deck snap together reinforced plastic floor tiles are really tough. In the 8+ years I've been driving over mine, I've never had one crack or break. See my Post #7, above. And even if one did break, it's quick and easy to replace. Just snap out the old one and snap in a new one.

Motofloor modular garage floor tiles are on sale at Costco now through September 21, 2021 for $50 off, regularly $149.99, now $99.99 delivered plus tax. That's less than $2.10 per square foot.
https://www.costco.com/motofloor-mod...100009181.html

Full disclosure: I am not and have never been a Costco employee, but I am a happy customer and stockholder. I have no financial interests in MotoFloor.

ralphwg (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I'm not a fan of Place On Top coverings, as water and other liquids can migrate beneath them, and some will remain, get stinky and damage the concrete below. If they were BONDED to the concrete, that'd be different, but I'd not wager that even 1% of installers would do that.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default garage floor

I was wanting to do the same, my epoxy floor peeled after 7 years. I've looked into removing, sanding and then a clear coat. Ive seen some with pale colors but likely with wear it would be more noticeable. This application is done alot, like Costco. But can see the change in sheen, though surely would not get the traffic of Costco. Just a suggestion.

Also curious about life in Spain, dual citizenship? I'm hoping for the same in Italy, where my grandparents immigrated from, there is many cousins left and I'm sure I would be very happy. It's a culture and values that I grew up with and appreciate. Citizenship is difficult d/t obtaining all the birth, marriage, death certs. But I think once I'm there, my cousins from my Grandfather is the brother of their Grandparents. I know they would come to the consulate and confirm my ancestry. Well just chatting off, but I hope you love Spain.

Leticia Metallo

Old 08-26-2021, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I'm not a fan of Place On Top coverings, as water and other liquids can migrate beneath them, and some will remain, get stinky and damage the concrete below. If they were BONDED to the concrete, that'd be different, but I'd not wager that even 1% of installers would do that.
My garage has never been stinky, either before or after my MotoFloor was installed. The tiles are 1/2 inch thick with a raised grid back that provide strength and rigidity and allows water that runs down the tiles onto the concrete floor to evaporate quickly.

I don't have the problems with bringing snow into my garage that you have in Utah. When it melts, you probably get much more water in your garage than I do. And I don't care about any possible damage to the concrete because it couldn't get much worse than it was when I covered it up over 8 years ago, when that concrete floor was 33 years old with lots of repaired cracks and low spots. Out of sight, out of mind.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (08-26-2021), ralphwg (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggette
I was wanting to do the same, my epoxy floor peeled after 7 years. I've looked into removing, sanding and then a clear coat. Ive seen some with pale colors but likely with wear it would be more noticeable. This application is done alot, like Costco. But cansee the change in sheen, though surely would not get the traffic of Costco. Just a suggestion.

Also curious about life in Spain, dual citizenship? I'm hoping for the same in Italy, where my grandparents immigrated from, there is many cousins left and I'm sure I would be very happy. It's a culture and values that I grew up with and appreciate. Citizenship is difficult d/t obtaining all the birth, marriage, death certs. But I think once I'm there, my cousins from my Grandfather is the brother of their Grandparents. I know they would come to the consulate and confirm my ancestry. Well just chatting off, but I hope you love Spain.

Leticia Metallo
First time I've heard of an epoxy floor peeling off? How's that? Can you show me a picture? I've seen an epoxy floor that's almost 20 years old and there wasn't a single scratch.

Quick Reply: Garage floor